PDA

View Full Version : SAIT puts alert out for LAPTOP theft

GucciBoy
10-18-2004, 08:13 AM
Lately SAIT has had a serious issue with laptop theft. Be careful. One member has even sold one on this site recently.

wildrice
10-18-2004, 08:20 AM
yup, one of my classmates in CNT got his jacked two-three weeks ago
he had to get his insurance to pay for the first one and had to put down another 500 deposit to get another one

Davetronz
10-18-2004, 08:21 AM
SAIT is pretty good considering the number of laptops.
The students are pretty good at watching over everyone elses shit.
We feel pretty confident leaving our laptops on the desks and getting groups of people around to keep an eye on it.
With most people having a laptop in the buildings that we are in, I find that most people help keep an eye out because NO ONE wants to lose their laptop, and no one wants to see a friend lose theirs...

GucciBoy
10-18-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by wildrice
yup, one of my classmates in CNT got his jacked two-three weeks ago
he had to get his insurance to pay for the first one and had to put down another 500 deposit to get another one

hey just curious, how does sait afford to give out laptops for only $500 deposit? lol. what if you break it? cause the thing is worth $1500 alone. Only thing I could think of, is sait bought them for around $500 a pc, since I cant see them losing money over them.

QuasarCav
10-18-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by GucciBoy
Lately SAIT has had a serious issue with laptop theft. Be careful. One member has even sold one on this site recently.

Who has sold one on this site recently? Do you have proof or is it coincidental?

xDiMSuMx
10-18-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by GucciBoy

hey just curious, how does sait afford to give out laptops for only $500 deposit? lol. what if you break it? cause the thing is worth $1500 alone. Only thing I could think of, is sait bought them for around $500 a pc, since I cant see them losing money over them.

500 deposit
500 per semester to rent
at the end of the course, u can take your 500 back and give them the laptop or they take your 500 and you still have to pay probably another 500 for it
:bullshit:

GucciBoy
10-18-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by xDiMSuMx

500 deposit
500 per semester to rent
at the end of the course, u can take your 500 back and give them the laptop or they take your 500 and you still have to pay probably another 500 for it
:bullshit:

interesting, so its not that good of a deal then. 2yr 4 semester course you would have to sell out $1500 just to rent it, am I right? Thats insane, the thing is only worth $1500 retail, might as well just buy it. Best buy and Future Crap have 1yr no payments, no interest anyways. Plus you get full complete warranty and receipt.

shadow
10-18-2004, 12:35 PM
That would be nice if that worked.. but they do not let you use your own laptop... cause sait policy is.. :bullshit:

I owned my own and got the whole b.s. thing about you can't use it because it is not set up accoring to sait policy.

seer_claw
10-18-2004, 01:25 PM
Its more some of the software that is included on the laptop. I know that I have autoCad which retails for over $3000 and we also have some other programs which I figure that are worth well over $10,000. So that is why the rental is cheaper then buying the computer new. :dunno:

JeremyD
10-19-2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by shadow
That would be nice if that worked.. but they do not let you use your own laptop... cause sait policy is.. :bullshit:

I owned my own and got the whole b.s. thing about you can't use it because it is not set up accoring to sait policy.

From the support stand point this makes perfect sense. It is hard enough to keep a network clean of virus' and other such mischief in a standardized environment. Trying to do that where people are using their own machines and don't have virus protection nor do they keep it patched becomes a nightmare.

Also they would end up being ultimately responsible if your home PC picked up a virus that someone else brought to class.

Plus there is the licensing concerns over software in their environment.

It is in many ways a no win situation.