PDA

View Full Version : Any business students at UofC?

Vanish3d
10-18-2004, 09:05 AM
I'm thinking of switching into business (Bach of Commerce) at UofC. Can ony one tell me what its like? easy/hard? good instructors? possible jobs when done? etc

thank you.

Expiredsoda
10-18-2004, 01:11 PM
Do you have a rediculously stupid high GPA? If not, Haskane will tell you to get fucked. Friend of mine went to transfer last year with a 3.6, denied.

Vanish3d
10-18-2004, 03:45 PM
I was told the cut off GPA is 3.0... :dunno:

Chim
10-18-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Vanish3d
I was told the cut off GPA is 3.0... :dunno:

Thats probably the cutoff for them to even look at your mark. But rejecting a 3.6 thats just insane.

Its a pretty good faculty though, most of the professors are pretty good, or at least make you think that (they're businessmen after all they have to portray that image anyways)
The stuff they teach is generally pretty easy, but they test it very meticulously. Also, the textbooks suck. They take a common sense topic, break it into 5 sections, write a page for each section, and you end up having no idea whats going on because you dont expect them to spend that much time to explain such simple topics.

Vanish3d
10-18-2004, 09:13 PM
well I'm in 2nd/3rd year of Engineering right now and doing quite well; however, i'm starting to loose interested. My original plan was to get my Engineering degree THEN get a business degree to have my own engineering company, but i'm thinking of trying to get business first and see what options I have. I can't see the course load being as much as engineering, so that'll be fine.

Weapon_R
10-18-2004, 09:22 PM
Stick with engineering

7thgenvic
10-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Stick with engineering

ya no kidding, if your past your first 2 years of eng, you already have the basis of your degree, why not suck it up, finish and then you have more doors open for yourself!

Ajay
10-18-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Vanish3d
well I'm in 2nd/3rd year of Engineering right now and doing quite well; however, i'm starting to loose interested. My original plan was to get my Engineering degree THEN get a business degree to have my own engineering company, but i'm thinking of trying to get business first and see what options I have. I can't see the course load being as much as engineering, so that'll be fine.

Why not do a joint BComm/BEng degree? I'm pretty sure you're not the only engineer with aspirations to own their own engineering firm.

Best bet is to talk to someone at Haskayne and find out....kinda ironic though. You're an engineer and you wanna get into Haskayne...thought that was frowned upon by you engineers! :)

kaput
10-18-2004, 10:28 PM

Vanish3d
10-18-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Ajay

thought that was frowned upon by you engineers! :)

Sssshhhh!!!

if my fellow engineering students find out, they'll shoot me dead lol :guns:

yea I was thinking a joint degree with bach of comm.

davidI
10-18-2004, 11:35 PM
I'm in business but wish I was in engineering. I hate to say it but I haven't learned much in business. Everything is just adding fancy academic words to simple common sense subjects.

Something like 75% of CEOs have an engineering degree anyways!

Always remember, an engineer can become a businessman but a businessman can't become and engineer!

kanjus_paki
10-18-2004, 11:37 PM
bahh i dunno bout transfering but i got into direct highschool but came here to ubc instead

Vanish3d
10-18-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by davidI

Always remember, an engineer can become a businessman but a businessman can't become and engineer! [/B]

hmm... good point.

guessboi
10-18-2004, 11:58 PM
finish ur engg and do a MBA after...that's what a typical engg student does...

I am a bcomm grad...no typical thing as a joint bcomm/engg...and plus like all of your courses are non-transferable to bcomm...
engg is tough since many of my friends are in engg...just suck it up since u are half way there...

like I say...engg goes to MBA after...Bcommer goes to Law after...

;)

kaput
10-19-2004, 03:22 PM

R-Audi
10-19-2004, 03:27 PM
Why would you want to go to the lowest rated Uni level business school in the province that has the highest required GPA?

Yeah, that makes sense......:thumbsdow

Chim
10-19-2004, 05:21 PM
Vanish3d you said you want to start an engineering company. The stuff they teach in business is very interesting, but its nothing you can't learn easily on your own. As long as you have technical knowledge in the field your business is operating, you should do fine. Look how well Rage did without a business degree (refer to his "is school useless?" thread) :)

Pacman
10-19-2004, 06:25 PM
I graduated from UofC with a BComm.

Having said that, if I were in your shoes, I would stay in engineering.....you can learn what I did in commerce by going to Chapters/Indigo and skimming through the various business books they have there.

in*10*se
10-19-2004, 10:37 PM
i'm in business... easy stuff