PDA

View Full Version : Studded Winter Tires?

Speed_RaSiR
10-18-2004, 01:19 PM
I'm thinking of getting a setup of Kumho Winters from My Tires, they said they can stud them for $100. My question is are these annoying? Is it really loud when you drive? Is it noticably better? The guy said a studded tire will beat any winte\ice tire...

Is it worth getting the studs?

1badPT
10-18-2004, 01:34 PM
I have studs in my tires and I would recommend them. The noise isn't that bad and if you keep in mind that snow tires generally are noisier anyways its not that big fo deal.

You'll find that your traction on ice is MUCH BETTER with studs, but the tradeoff is your bare pavement traction (oddly enough) will suffer.

To give you an idea - last night there were several 4x4's and SUV's slipping and spinning trying to get up a hill. My car is front wheel drive, open differential and I was able to get up the same icy hills no problem. Turning and braking on ice is much better too.

$100 seems to be the going rate to get tires studded, that's what I paid.

Aleks
10-18-2004, 01:34 PM
In Calgary it's a bit of an overkill in my mind. The roads here are usually not that bad to warrant studs. It's on those odd days with lots and lots of ice that they would come in handy, but i think if you're getting snow tires they should do the job just fine in the city.

badseed
10-18-2004, 01:50 PM
I agree with the above statement. I had some blizzaks a couple years back and they were killer even on the ice. Stud tires are nice to have but if you have decent winters theres really not a NEED.

Speed_RaSiR
10-18-2004, 02:14 PM
so if you drive with studs on a dry road you will be wobbly? I dont want that I drive Deerfoot every day, maybe I'll just get the tires...

1badPT
10-18-2004, 02:21 PM
nah it will be noisy not wobbly - just when you're taking off from a stop it will be easier to spin on pavement or when your braking it might be a bit easier to lock up. My drive every morning last year was on the deerfoot, if it was bad I wouldn't be recommending them. Spirited driving is kind of out in the winter time anyways - you'll be glad you have studs when you hit a patch of ice. Winters are good on snow, not very good on ice without the studs.

ZorroAMG
10-18-2004, 03:14 PM
I had studs on my old Benzo but don't find I need them now that I am using the Dunlp graspics, Mont, you should ask mytires about Dunlop Graspic DS-1 or DS-2 for your car...good tires....

Speed_RaSiR
10-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
I had studs on my old Benzo but don't find I need them now that I am using the Dunlp graspics, Mont, you should ask mytires about Dunlop Graspic DS-1 or DS-2 for your car...good tires....

Thanks brother, How was the driving on dry pavement? I need reliability, I drive mad far on Deerfoot all the time.

2fast4me
10-18-2004, 04:04 PM

JCX
10-18-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
In Calgary it's a bit of an overkill in my mind. The roads here are usually not that bad to warrant studs. It's on those odd days with lots and lots of ice that they would come in handy, but i think if you're getting snow tires they should do the job just fine in the city.

I could not agree more. When I was 17 I winter drove a 1979 Ford Fairmont with a 302 V-8 and the cheapest all season tires you could find. Never had a problem. Decent winter tires and a semi skilled driver should be more than enough unless you live in the boonies.

carzcraz
10-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Just a suggestion...my bf picked up some studded winter tires from Walmart today and it only costed him $16/tire to stud....might be worth calling to save you some money on studding?

ZorroAMG
10-18-2004, 06:17 PM
Walmart= t3h scary place to have tires studded....like canadian tire, I dpn't want some highschool kid working on my shizzz...

Mont, the studs on pavement was loud and a tad slippery, i'd recommend taking them off in april....no biggie though.

It is also illegal from what i've heard, to be driving on studs on a road that isn't covered in snow, so take em off as soon as it's safe....

1badPT
10-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Alberta has no laws against studs :D

Every other province does though - part of why I bought them my first winter here heheh

max_boost
10-18-2004, 06:32 PM
I think that's over kill, we aren't living in Alaska. Snow melts in this city! When's the next chinook coming in? :D

t_c18
10-18-2004, 06:43 PM
my buddy had some on his mustang and they improved the traction so much, and he never complained about noise....

rockym20
10-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Anyone who hasn't driven with studs on an icy road has no idea what a huge difference they can really make. That said, I probably wouldn't buy studded tires next time. Even though I drive to downtown everyday (from McKenzie Towne), I don't think the roads are bad enough often enough for the tradeoff of noisy tires and reduced traction on dry roads. However, if I was on the road a lot (like a salesman or something), I wouldn't hesitate to purchase studded tires again. I also find my studded tire tend to wander a bit on grooved concrete (like some overpasses). Its no big deal (I drove down to California one winter with studded tires - all the freeways there are grooved concrete - and had no problems), but can be a bit disconcerting the first time it happens to you.

awd
10-19-2004, 11:26 AM
IMHO, studded tires are overkill for Calgary.

safetyfirst
11-29-2009, 01:05 AM
I used to have studs, then went to premium "ice-radials"

Found that the best tires on ice lost a lot of performance in deep snow, and tended to float (almost like hydro-planing) instead of digging in.

Have returned to really good snow treads with studs for ice. Well worth the slight increase in noise as now have great functionality in both snow and ice.

Thinking about the mechanics of the two situations, many requirements for ice function are the opposite of the requirements for snow. Hence all the "multi-tread" tires we have seen lately.

Spend a lot of time on secondary hwys, miles from anywhere. Must always expect to run onto wind-polished thin ice films from blown snow with little warning.

nobb
11-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Not denying that studded tires are helpful in ice, but I also agree that it is overkill for Calgary. Mainly because our roads only get covered with ice a few times each year. If you are buying new tires, then I would just buy a premium winter tire like the Blizzaks...they are amazing in snow and ice. The only time I would consider studs is if I lived out in the country side or to get a bit of extra life on an old winter tire.

Which Kumho are you getting? I have the KW11, which got decent reviews, but they are terrible compared to my Blizzaks. The compound is almost as stiff as a normal all-season in the winter.

safetyfirst
11-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Most safety equipment is overkill "most of the time". In fact we all hope we never have to use it. Its that millisecond that can totally change or end your life that its there for.

To the original questioner, you have to look at your personal needs, including if you have the option to simply stay home until it improves. I have the Kumho IzenWeis. The slightly harder rubber means they bite into packed snow much better than the full ice rubber, but they may need the studs once it gets colder. I've no experience with them unstudded - were only studdable I could find at the time. I really like their lateral stability when cornering compared to many N.American winter tires. You can only equip for your own unique needs, be safe.

We rarely make emergency stops, but we don't tolerate brakes that only work for a gradual slow down. Try telling a CF18 pilot they don't need an ejection seat because they will only use it once.

As for Calgary, Hwy 1 into the city was great last Friday it was the city that was the problem, and again there were those few milliseconds here and there avoiding other people's inadequacies that made me glad I had the studs.

Like many Calgarians I spend a lot of time out of the city, miles from any assistance. I don't need a sleeping bag in the city either, but its always there in the winter.

g-m
11-30-2009, 12:43 PM
you guys talk like the boundaries of your world are the city limits.

I would highly recommend studs, had no problem whatsoever getting started on absolutely sheer ice friday and I actually drove to Fernie no problem the same day.

If you sit in your basement and play video games all day after work then sure its overkill but if you actually leave the city limits during the winter its WELL worth the $100. Mine were also $100 last winter. I've been in MANY situations where only the studs were able to get my car unstuck.

ie. I've been at a ski hill where it got warm at the base and then totally froze around closing. absolutely sheer ice and my car was parked facing downhill on a skating rink (fwd). Let the clutch out slowly and I didn't even have a spin. Looking at the ice after you could see the small holes that the studs made. You couldn't see the tread having any effect however.

There have been plenty of times. I would recommend highly.

clem24
11-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by safetyfirst
Most safety equipment is overkill "most of the time". In fact we all hope we never have to use it. Its that millisecond that can totally change or end your life that its there for.

To the original questioner, you have to look at your personal needs, including if you have the option to simply stay home until it improves. I have the Kumho IzenWeis. The slightly harder rubber means they bite into packed snow much better than the full ice rubber, but they may need the studs once it gets colder. I've no experience with them unstudded - were only studdable I could find at the time. I really like their lateral stability when cornering compared to many N.American winter tires. You can only equip for your own unique needs, be safe.

We rarely make emergency stops, but we don't tolerate brakes that only work for a gradual slow down. Try telling a CF18 pilot they don't need an ejection seat because they will only use it once.

As for Calgary, Hwy 1 into the city was great last Friday it was the city that was the problem, and again there were those few milliseconds here and there avoiding other people's inadequacies that made me glad I had the studs.

Like many Calgarians I spend a lot of time out of the city, miles from any assistance. I don't need a sleeping bag in the city either, but its always there in the winter.

THIS. Very well said.

I have Gislaved Nord Frost 5 studded tires on my car. To everyone that thinks studs are overkill or write them off without trying them, all I have to say is you probably haven't driven a car with studs on them. The amount of additional traction they afford is huge. As for noise, I really only notice them when I am going slow (i.e. below 20km/h) and obviously on bare pavement. It just sounds like you're driving on gravel. And after a while, you get used to it.

As for the grip part, I honestly though they might grip like shit in dry conditions, but I was actually quite wrong! It was +10 out and I was able to take a hard corner under braking pretty damn hard (like going from 90 down to 50) without any kind of loss of traction in my LGT. Of course I wouldn't do it again simply because I want my studs and tires to last LOL.

max_boost
11-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Oh I don't think anyone is doubting it's effectiveness. I'm sure they are great and all. The issue was with are they really necessary in the city. I mean 2-3 days after, look at the roads. And whether they are legal depending where you are.

clem24
11-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Oh I don't think anyone is doubting it's effectiveness. I'm sure they are great and all. The issue was with are they really necessary in the city. I mean 2-3 days after, look at the roads. And whether they are legal depending where you are.

Perfectly legal in AB all year. Legal in Nov through May in BC I think. Honestly, even if I only need them to save me once.. Just once. It's all worth it.

max_boost
11-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Yeah I've been on my Hankook ipike for about 400kms, I wonder if I can still stud them. If I can, I'm going to, always wanted to see how they perform on ice haha

g-m
11-30-2009, 02:00 PM
no you can't. The tires have to have never been driven on iirc so your 400km is too much.

Artega
11-30-2009, 03:01 PM
I have some brand new garit KX on 4WD. They're studless and handled exceptionally on ice and snow.
no problem getting up hills or deep snow.

damn did they make a world on difference during the snow storm on friday.

The difference could be due to the fact that they're brand new
but it sure beats anything else I've seen.

manicgt
12-07-2009, 09:44 PM
I would endorse the use of studded winter tires, I drive in the city of Edmonton and find the most treacherous road conditions to be the plowed intersections. At exceptionally low temperatures these intersections become polished by other drivers spinning their wheels. This is exactly where you will find the benefit of studs IMO. Studs only truly work when the hardened carbide tip can contact ice. The best I have found is the Gislaved NordFrost 5, which come studded from the manufactuer. Beware the low priced tire studding offered by the national stores, pay a tad more to your local tire shop and you likely end up with a set of tires that doesn't spit out half the studs. As to the noise issue, yes studded tires are noisy, sounds like bacon frying when on dry roads. Mmmmm... bacon... If you can live with the noise go for studs!

johnboy27
12-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Yeah I've been on my Hankook ipike for about 400kms, I wonder if I can still stud them. If I can, I'm going to, always wanted to see how they perform on ice haha
I have studded Hankook Ipikes on right now and really do not find them any better than my previous set of X-ice tires. I actually drove on the x-ices(about 30% tread left on 2 and the other2 are pooched) for the first few icy days up here in the Red Deer area and found I did better than most people driving around.

Royle9
12-10-2009, 10:16 AM
I was under the impression that studded tires in Calgary were not legal. But after reading this I see some of you use them, are you guys sure its 100% legal to be using them in the City Limits?

tirebob
12-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Province / Territory

Restrictions
Comments

Alberta no restriction

British Columbia from Oct. 1 to April 30 only

Manitoba from Oct. 1 to April 30 only Ceramic core studs or ceramic studs only

Ontario restrictions http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/faq/vehicle.htm#studs

Quebec from Oct. 15 to May 1 only Commercial vehicles: less than 3000 kg only
Passenger vehicles: on both axles only

Saskatchewan no restriction

Newfoundland from Nov. 1 to April 31 only

Yukon no restriction

Even myself who has not typically been a big proponent of stud use ( not because they don't work but simply because our conditions typically did not benefit enough from them to justify the tradeoffs in my now humble opinion) has been coming around to their benefits more and more with the seemingly increasing black ice conditions myself and others have been experiencing these last couple years... Driving a 2wd pick-up I am feeling the effects a whole lot more than when I was driving my Honda!

Now I am even looking in to buying the studding equipment soon with all the requests I have been getting!

Sugarphreak
12-11-2009, 01:23 PM

revelations
12-11-2009, 05:56 PM
As far as studding tires aftermarket, are there different methods to studding?

I ask this because I'd like to stud my tires, but I dont need 250 studs on the tire contact patch when 10 might do just fine, as it would alsoreduce the amount of noise on dry roads.

My dad had a set of studded FRONTS on his old fwd corolla, and that thing sounded like a steam roller on the road at any speed.

ilialex
11-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Thinking about getting studded tires, but have some concerns about leaving marks/scratches on a concrete driveway or garage concrete. Those of you who had studded tires before noticed any marks?

.jl-
11-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by ilialex
Thinking about getting studded tires, but have some concerns about leaving marks/scratches on a concrete driveway or garage concrete. Those of you who had studded tires before noticed any marks?
No marks so far.

GQBalla
11-04-2011, 09:04 PM
None that I noticed.

lilmira
11-04-2011, 09:30 PM
You'll scratch the surface when you slide/spin the wheels which you can easily avoid by going easy on both pedals. However, when your driveway is icy, that's another story. I have left marks on driveway before from studded tires. It's not too bad, it's just scratch marks, it's not like they are big gouges.

forced_eg
11-04-2011, 10:20 PM

your ipikes are still studdable, unfortunately it will cost you and extra 60-100 bucks to pick out the rocks in the stud holes. how are the ipikes btw? im shopping around for a set for the civic

I run studded kelly snowtrackers on my lowered volkswagon golf and i LOVE them, last year i was unstoppable (except for one situation where the snow was packed higher than my skidplate) and i would recommend them to anyone,

are they overkill? maybe for some drivers, but not for aggressive drivers. just like a few posts above said, nothings overkill when it comes to safety, were side curtain airbags overkill? not when it saved someones life. its that one instance where its all worth it

Destinova403
11-05-2011, 01:42 AM
I picked up some Studded tires from Bob last week... they make a HUGE difference, Last year I was running a set of Michelin X-Ice and this year i'm using a cheaper tire with studs and it is WORLDS different on the ice that we have on the ground today.

xnvy
11-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Spend half my time out in the country, studded tires make a huge difference out there. Well worth it IMO.

BokCh0y
01-24-2014, 10:21 PM
Didn't want to create a new post, so bumping this bitch.

The boy just got his license last weekend - yes another Asian driver on the road guys haha.

Anyway, gave him the Civic I had, bought it for him originally by the way. Picking up some winter tires for him this weekend, as the set of winters on there right now are pretty much done. Never with Calgary winters...we might be done the end of this month, or this shit could go on till June - who the fuck knows.

So....winters. Picking up the Hankook iPike RC01 from Canadian Tire, they're on sale for $69.99 a tire :eek:. Read some reviews and it seems they are a decent tire for snow and hard packed snow, but fair for ice, thinking I will have them studded because...new Asian driver. Can anyone tell me if it is still roughly $100 to stud a set of tires and where I can go to have that done?

Thanks!!!

gpomp
01-24-2014, 10:53 PM
spec r:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/353522/specr-motorsports-tire-services/

spikerS
01-24-2014, 10:55 PM
$25 most places that I have heard. same for the set I got for my truck.

BokCh0y
01-24-2014, 11:05 PM
Thx for the quick response guys. I will call spec r tomorrow.

Spikers...where did u go and have it done? 25 is good and I'd be cool with paying that.

spikerS
01-24-2014, 11:07 PM
Bob at Urban X did it all for me.

And for some reason, i feel the need to clarify this. it was $25 / tire

BokCh0y
01-24-2014, 11:32 PM
K so basically $100 for a set still.

Thanks again guys, will call around tomorrow.

Cooked Rice
01-25-2014, 01:44 AM
lol, i'm in the exact same boat. Bought a set of iPikes on sale from CT this week as well. They arrived today, so I'm going to try and get them studded this weekend. CT wanted something like $37 each to stud them.

I would really like to support Spec R, but they have no number, like come on. I googled it, came up with something, called, it was some shop, but the guy was completely lost when I asked if it was Spec R.

Will give Poorboy Tire a call tomorrow and see what they charge.

BokCh0y
01-25-2014, 02:02 AM
I left spec-r a pm.

Can you lmk how much Poorboy charges? Thx. I'm picking the tires up tomorrow.

CanmoreOrLess
01-25-2014, 10:44 AM
You can get pre studded Gislaved Nord Frost 100 14" - $120ea ($520.80/4 including tire tax & gst) from Bob or the south location. Best winter tire I have used, never going back to unstudded.

BokCh0y
01-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Cooked Rice - did you end up getting them studded? And if so from where?

I picked up the tires today, very nice looking tire, will be good for the boy I hope.

Thanks.

Cooked Rice
01-26-2014, 12:56 AM
Called Poor Boy today but I guess they were closed. Will try them again on Monday.

BokCh0y
01-27-2014, 09:22 PM
I spoke with TireBob with Urban X. He took care of the kid and his tires and fit him in this afternoon. Great work.

Big shout out to TireBob and Urban X!!! Thanks again.

reijo
01-28-2014, 11:22 AM
Spec R - Kyle Ho: (403) 397-1880 or SpecR.KH(at)gmail.com