PDA

View Full Version : Speeding tickets

T5_X
06-15-2002, 08:42 PM
My gf said she heard on the radio that it's gonna go up to 50$ for every km/hr that you're over the limit and failing to yield to a pedestrian is gonna be like, a 500$ fine soon. Is this true?

BarryBeach
06-15-2002, 08:45 PM
I don't know, this seems a bit high to me ... if this does happen there's going to be some Mad protesting going on. :burnout:

2000impreza
06-15-2002, 09:00 PM
i thought the $500 failing to yield to a pedestrian fine was aready in effect :confused:

Ben
06-15-2002, 09:03 PM
50 dollars per KM...thats Bull fucking shit...ok, so my ticket for 77 over would be what...3800?! 3850!!! F that S! 10 over is $550!!!!! its only 52 bucks right now!!!

shadowz
06-15-2002, 09:33 PM
Ouch I might as well just sell my car and then get a pinto

bol
06-15-2002, 09:47 PM
AFAIK it hasn't passed.

Reasons I think it wont:

10km/hr over = $500 fine. With a fine like that you'll find a lot of people fighting their tickets. That means busy courts and that means higher infastructure costs.

Now what I could actually see passing is a graduated system punishing people getting ticketed for say, 40km/hr+ over the limit and those individuals getting hit with $50/kmhr fine.

gpomp
06-15-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Benny
50 dollars per KM...thats Bull fucking shit...ok, so my ticket for 77 over would be what...3800?! 3850!!! F that S! 10 over is $550!!!!! its only 52 bucks right now!!!

Well, don't speed then...

Audi Kid
06-16-2002, 01:04 AM
jesus.....im gonna tone it down a little.

Ben
06-16-2002, 03:58 AM
I dont speed much anymore...

my ticket was a sheer act of stupidity, and I can Maturly admit my error.

GTS Jeff
06-16-2002, 07:34 AM
I dont speed much anymore...

my ticket was a sheer act of stupidity, and I can Maturly admit my error. Way to capitalize the M

:rolleyes: :thumbsup: :D

4wheeldrift
06-16-2002, 08:40 AM

It could be a LOT worse. In sweden, your fine is based on a percentage of your annual income...not a small percentage either.

buh_buh
06-16-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift

It could be a LOT worse. In sweden, your fine is based on a percentage of your annual income...not a small percentage either.
yeah, I read awhile ago that someone in Sweden got like a couple million dollar fine for a speeding ticket or something.

But does that mean if your unemployed you can't get speeding tickets?

GTS Jeff
06-16-2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh

yeah, I read awhile ago that someone in Sweden got like a couple million dollar fine for a speeding ticket or something.

But does that mean if your unemployed you can't get speeding tickets? Some Nokia exec I believe...

rage2
06-16-2002, 10:31 AM
The $50/km over is only after a certain point or something... like first 10 over is $100, 20 over is $150, 30 over is $200, then it starts into the $50/km scale.

4wheeldrift
06-16-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh

But does that mean if your unemployed you can't get speeding tickets? If I'm living in a country where I'm paying about 70% of my income in taxes, the government had better find me a job when I end up unemployed :) I'm sure theres a formula they apply or something for low income peoples.

Import_Girl
06-17-2002, 12:45 PM
I got a ticket this morning coming out od china town on center....he poped out of the bushes with his radar right by aberdeen...he said i was going 73...in a 50 zone....opps....uh oh..one more ticket and my licence is gone for a month...shity....and to think all i have is a "non-vtec"civic...scared to think what would happen if i actually had a better car...haha...

TIP OF THE DAY: did you no....when you get a ticket weather it is in the mail or you are pulled over....to avoid geting demerits off...send a check right away to pay the ticket...but pay like $1 or $2 over the amount required...and the city will send you a check for the differene....DONT CASH THE CHECK....and they cant remove demerits because all transactions are not complete....but you have paid your ticket so there is nothing they can do.....hmmm....if only i new this sooner, :banghead:

bol
06-17-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Import_Girl
I got a ticket this morning coming out od china town on center....he poped out of the bushes with his radar right by aberdeen...he said i was going 73...in a 50 zone....opps....uh oh..one more ticket and my licence is gone for a month...shity....and to think all i have is a "non-vtec"civic...scared to think what would happen if i actually had a better car...haha...

TIP OF THE DAY: did you no....when you get a ticket weather it is in the mail or you are pulled over....to avoid geting demerits off...send a check right away to pay the ticket...but pay like $1 or $2 over the amount required...and the city will send you a check for the differene....DONT CASH THE CHECK....and they cant remove demerits because all transactions are not complete....but you have paid your ticket so there is nothing they can do.....hmmm....if only i new this sooner, :banghead:

I lost my license 16 days ago due to demerits(21 in total baby!)

And your TIP OF THE DAY is an urban legend - it doesn't work.

Import_Girl
06-17-2002, 12:50 PM
really....urban legend ....shity ...so maybe my licence will be gone now for a bit....shity for me....so it for sures doesnt work....:banghead:

bol
06-17-2002, 12:57 PM
really....urban legend ....shity ...so maybe my licence will be gone now for a bit....shity for me....so it for sures doesnt work....:banghead:

It takes em about a month to print up and send you the notice that you're license is being suspended... and you have an additional month from around the time you recieve that notice.

PLUS for $100 you can apply for a 'restricted' license while suspended.

So it's really not all that bad... dunno about insurance ramifications about suspensions though(as if my insurance wasn't bad enough already...)

D'z Nutz
06-17-2002, 01:20 PM
Anyone know how long it takes for a speeding ticket to clear from your record? 3 years?

bol
06-17-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Anyone know how long it takes for a speeding ticket to clear from your record? 3 years?

yup

Import_Girl
06-17-2002, 01:56 PM
PLUS for $100 you can apply for a 'restricted' license while suspended.............

what does that allow me to do......is it just like a normal licence..just temporary?

bol
06-17-2002, 01:59 PM
PLUS for $100 you can apply for a 'restricted' license while suspended.............

what does that allow me to do......is it just like a normal licence..just temporary?

that's right, just that if you get pulled over while having that license it will be revoked instantly and you'll ahve to serve the rest of the suspension

they don't have to approve your application though, and if they don't, you lose $100

Ben
06-17-2002, 02:11 PM
Tickets are on your drivers abstract for 2 years, but insurance for 3 years

CRXguy
06-17-2002, 05:27 PM
Shit, I just remembered I gotta call POINTTS.:(

kenny
06-17-2002, 08:57 PM
Charlie got me to fax him my ticket the other day, wonder what he can do for me... doesn't look too promising, but I'll still try.

boi-alien
06-17-2002, 09:13 PM
ahhh you know what's nice about going to univ?? we have something called Student Legal Aid.... man those guys are awesome, fought off all my speeding tickets for me, and i didn't have to pay them a single penny!! :confused: :angel:

the best part... i still have a 'clean' driving record cause i fought all those tickets off

max_boost
06-17-2002, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by crxboi
ahhh you know what's nice about going to univ?? we have something called Student Legal Aid.... man those guys are awesome, fought off all my speeding tickets for me, and i didn't have to pay them a single penny!! :confused: :angel:

the best part... i still have a 'clean' driving record cause i fought all those tickets off
Ok, how does that work?
who do you talk to?

boi-alien
06-17-2002, 09:27 PM
go to the faculty of law (in MF) go up the stairs(opposite of the law library) follow the signs posted... just talk to the receptionist, tell him u need some help with regards to a speeding ticket or something.

i had one where my liscence was going to be suspended, i got them to fight it from like 300$ to 150$ and no demerits... can't remember the exact price, but it was something cool like that

James
06-17-2002, 09:29 PM
Do you have to be a UofC student to go through them??:confused:

boi-alien
06-17-2002, 09:30 PM
you have to be a UC student to get their services for free

James
06-17-2002, 09:32 PM
you have to be a UC student to get their services for free

Shit, any idea what they would cost if you arn't a student? or would it depend on the case?

boi-alien
06-17-2002, 09:33 PM
i'm not too sure.... i think it's like 30$ or something i really don't remember, best thing to do is go there and ask.... or if u have a UC friend, see if u can scam them haha

James
06-17-2002, 09:40 PM
or if u have a UC friend, see if u can scam them haha [/B]

now,thats an idea!:thumbsup: :devil:

boi-alien
06-17-2002, 09:57 PM
just don't tell em i told u hehe :angel:

D'z Nutz
06-17-2002, 11:12 PM
i'm not too sure.... i think it's like 30$ or something i really don't remember, best thing to do is go there and ask.... or if u have a UC friend, see if u can scam them haha

Hahaha! Scamming the faculty of law.... That just sounds funny!