PDA

View Full Version : Audi comes up with new TT, SMG like tranny

turboMiata
11-24-2002, 01:40 PM
Looks like this puppy is getting the R32 engine.

http://www.audiworld.com/news/02/tt32/

Audi Kid
11-24-2002, 01:51 PM
nice! :)

SilverRex
11-24-2002, 10:25 PM
welp smg I still like the m3 better..

RiCE-DaDDy
11-25-2002, 12:08 AM
finally the tt gets some power

Mikko
11-25-2002, 02:29 AM
Sounds very interesting and innovative. I hate the car though.

D'z Nutz
11-25-2002, 02:33 AM
Fuck, I love the TT so much. The only thing that I hated about it was the fact that it came in a 4 cyclinder engine. Not no more! :D

Redlyne_mr2
11-25-2002, 03:06 AM
about time....most audis have an incredible amount of power, audi neglected to suply the tt with any..until now

VWhooligan
11-25-2002, 03:38 AM
damnit, if only my dad had waited another year he coulda gotten it with the new engine. oh well. after having logged about 5000km on the TT myself, I can really say, I love the peppy 1.8t engine. Sure its only 225hp, sure its only 1.8t litre, but hell. its fun to drive and thats what makes it great.

i heard audi was coming out with an S versino of the TT. would this be it?

Mikko
11-25-2002, 06:48 AM
D'z Nutz - you don't hate the poor vision and scandalous aerodynamics? :eek:

James
11-25-2002, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Mikko

To His or her own man.

I love the TT, sweet little car.

van
11-25-2002, 07:10 AM
Mikko doesn't like anything, well almost anything.

I love that car its nice :D

4wheeldrift
11-25-2002, 07:48 AM
An interesting concept. Here's hoping its durable.

D'z Nutz
11-25-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Mikko

Eh, it took me a while to like it. At first I could've cared less, but it grew on me. I'm still a little iffy on the coupe, but the roadster :thumbsup:

Audi Kid
11-25-2002, 03:59 PM
no the S tt is gonna be out of control..................:clap: :clap: i think its going to have a Twin turbo powerplant

RiCE-DaDDy
11-25-2002, 05:43 PM
as a design piece, its nice, but as a car, its ok

///M Power
11-25-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex
welp smg I still like the m3 better..

Agreed!

szw
11-25-2002, 06:55 PM
I think the TT looks like a giant tit. But I like that so..no biggie! :D

GDCivicSi
11-27-2002, 11:38 PM
The TT looks exactly like the 350Z. Along with the Infiniti. Anyone know which one is the cheapest? Which one would you guys get?

///M Power
11-27-2002, 11:40 PM
I'd get the 350Z because its better looking in my opinion, and I'm pretty sure its less expensive, and I'm not a huge fan of Audi.

GTS Jeff
11-28-2002, 12:07 AM
no one has mentioned that this tranny is far more complicated than the smg. its got 2 clutches and 2 mainshafts, one for 1,3,5 and one for 2,4,6.

and the engine is the cool vr6....which can make crazy amounts of power.

VWhooligan
11-28-2002, 12:16 AM
Actually, did some research. It looks like, according to Audiworld, that the S-version is just going to get stiffer suspension and bigger wheels.

http://www.audiworld.com/news/02/110802/header

taken from the audiworld.com webpage:

The S line sports suspension lowered by 20 mm ensures even greater agility and an extremely precise response to every steering movement with firmer shock absorbers, modified elastokinematics and an adapted steering ratio.

Cast aluminium 8x18'' wheels of 9-spoke design with 225/40 R 18 tyres create a sturdy appearance. Xenon headlights with titanium-coloured trims and the S line emblem on the rear side panels and the door sill trims are additional differentiating features of the Audi TT S line. In addition to the standard colours, pearl effect paint finishes Misano Red and Avus Silver are available as options.

The theme of sporting exclusivity is continued in the interior. Here sports seats in a leather/cloth combination (special "Speed" cloth or optional "Silver" leather) ensure optimal lateral support. The leather sports steering wheel of 3-spoke design and the gear-lever knob are trimmed with perforated leather, the upper door trim panels and the handbrake handle with smooth leather. An aluminium gear knob can be ordered as an additional sporting accent for the TT version with manual gearbox.

4wheeldrift
11-28-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
no one has mentioned that this tranny is far more complicated than the smg. its got 2 clutches and 2 mainshafts, one for 1,3,5 and one for 2,4,6.

and the engine is the cool vr6....which can make crazy amounts of power.
More complicated = more things to break or have go wrong

GTS Jeff
11-28-2002, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift

More complicated = more things to break or have go wrong true. but then again, awd has more things to break than 2wd....yet it doesnt make awd inferior

Mikko
11-28-2002, 09:12 PM
I like Audi's in general. However, the TT is nonsense. It represents a lot of things I can't stand, like form over function (horrible aerodynamics, horrible lift at speed, horrible vision, cramped). Gimme an S3 any day.

4wheeldrift
11-29-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
true. but then again, awd has more things to break than 2wd....yet it doesnt make awd inferior Depends entirely on what system you are talking about there. Like anything else, if a more complicated system is reliable then everythign is copacetic. If its a ground breaking new technology, but your car spends more time in the shop then on the road, are you really that far ahead?

GTS Jeff
11-29-2002, 11:30 AM
Depends entirely on what system you are talking about there. Like anything else, if a more complicated system is reliable then everythign is copacetic. If its a ground breaking new technology, but your car spends more time in the shop then on the road, are you really that far ahead? i know what ure saying, but the fact that something might not be reliable should never be a deterrant to advancing technology. the only way to make things reliable is to test em out...

anyway, this is a moot point........i believe this 2 clutch stuff has been around....in wrc cars back in the day...right?

turboMiata
11-30-2002, 03:29 AM

More complicated = more things to break or have go wrong

Actually, the Quattro system is now in it's 5th generation, I believe. My 1986 B2 4000 Quattro has 230+K on it and the thing still hauls ass and doesn't leak oil (compared to my "simple" RWD miata).

Most people hate Audis because they've heard bad things about them catching fire or have electrical problems. I've *never* heard anyone complain about the tranny.

Your mileage might vary of course!!

4wheeldrift
11-30-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by turboMiata

Actually, the Quattro system is now in it's 5th generation, I believe. My 1986 B2 4000 Quattro has 230+K on it and the thing still hauls ass and doesn't leak oil (compared to my "simple" RWD miata).

Most people hate Audis because they've heard bad things about them catching fire or have electrical problems. I've *never* heard anyone complain about the tranny.

Your mileage might vary of course!!

It may be a 5th gen system, but that transmission is quite a leap from anything they've been using before. Regardless of how well developed the rest of the system is, the new technology generally proves to be the weakest link.