PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Advice needed

cp1
10-19-2004, 10:46 AM
Hi all...
Anyway ill skip right to the point i own an 87 supra turbo i love it with THE STOCK TURBO but i have some plans for more power by spring time... but i am wondering what peoples opinions on different turbos are? please offer me advice on advantages of some of the upgraded turbos that are out there and what they have to offer? as well as why you have that opinion!

im not looking to make the fastest supra in town just to have a lot more fun with the one i have.

of course im always budgeting price as well but everyones feedback is more than appreciated as well... please advise!

HAYNES IS A USELESS PIECE OF CRAP PERIOD.

finboy
10-19-2004, 11:16 AM
i've heard theat the ct26/60-1 hybrid is a good hybrid to look into.

redline
10-19-2004, 12:31 PM
That turbo is laggy.

Reg has had some turbos made at one point that would bolt to the stock supra manifold. He had a couple of differnet sizes that you could choose from. So I would talk to Reg and see what he has

SUPRAPHAT
10-19-2004, 03:10 PM
Oh god, please don't talk to Reg! He'll just try to sell you the most expensive turbo he can find.

The key to supras is knowing exaclty what power range you want!

If it's 350-400 RWHP you are looking for then I would say the the Greddy TD-06 20G turbo setup.

If it's 400-500 RWHP you are looking for, I would say Sound Performance with their SP61GT turbo.

Both setups are bolt on so you don't need to change the manifold.

Try to stay away from the 60-1 CT-26 upgrades and especially the turbonetics 60-1 hybrid cus they are prone to blowing within a year. For the money you'd spend on the 60-1's you could spend a few hundred more and not have to worry about the turbo blowing anywhere near as often. The 60-1's aren't very laggy at all, I don't know where Reg gets his info from, he told me that once to and I just laughed cus they are mildly laggier than stock, sometimes hitting at the same time as the stock ct-26.

I really hope you know what you are doing with your supra cus jumping into a turbo upgrade could spell the end to your motor! There are a lot of things that have to be looked at before you touch the turbo.

Again please stay away from Reg for getting product advise. Sure he is very knowledgable but can persuade you to buy shit you do not need!

PM me if you want more details or need help with the build! I have been through it all before! You should stop by before I put the supie in storage and take a look, you'd probably learn quite a bit!

Me and Brad can help yah with the cam sensor, it's just a matter of setting your timing. Not too bad at all!

Jason

CelicaST-162
10-19-2004, 05:40 PM
Also, if you find the prices of new turbos and turbo upgrades overwhelming you can do BPU's to wake up your car. Like you mentioned, the Lexus AFM, and 550cc injectors, boost controller, and hell toss in a downpipe and hardpipes....your car will haul with these basic mods!

cp1
10-19-2004, 08:48 PM
[i]Like you mentioned, the Lexus AFM, and 550cc injectors, boost controller, and hell toss in a downpipe and hardpipes....your car will haul with these basic mods! [/B]

downpipe!?! who the hell needs one of those?... i have it dumped right out the side behind front wheel right now... i do know quite a bit about the car i was looking more specifically for opinions on different turbos... because im still running the stock ct-26 and its time for that to go!

plus i agree that reg is a scammer... salesman first tuner second... never really liked him he tried to sell me a 2jz-gte for like 8500 just for the block i was like thanks but i would like to tune the motor i have.

SUPRAPHAT
10-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by cp1

downpipe!?! who the hell needs one of those?... i have it dumped right out the side behind front wheel right now... i do know quite a bit about the car i was looking more specifically for opinions on different turbos... because im still running the stock ct-26 and its time for that to go!

plus i agree that reg is a scammer... salesman first tuner second... never really liked him he tried to sell me a 2jz-gte for like 8500 just for the block i was like thanks but i would like to tune the motor i have.

Why would you dump the exhaust? You must have something on there right now. What do you mean by it is dumping right out the side behind the front wheel? I can't figure out why you would do that, you will feel a little more power with an open downpipe but it will sound like shit.

Okay, since the ct-26 has to go what are you going to do about the following?

- fuel pump
- injectors
- fuel pressure regulator
- AFM
- stock IC
- hardpipes
- BOV
- clutch
- headgasket
- intake
- exhaust
- way to control the amount of fuel
- how to control boost
- how your going to control traction

etc.

Once you have all that and more, then you are ready for a new turbo!

Jason

cp1
10-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by SUPRAPHAT

Why would you dump the exhaust? You must have something on there right now. What do you mean by it is dumping right out the side behind the front wheel? I can't figure out why you would do that, you will feel a little more power with an open downpipe but it will sound like shit.

Okay, since the ct-26 has to go what are you going to do about the following?

etc.

Once you have all that and more, then you are ready for a new turbo!

Jason

Listen, Jason i mean exactly that it is piped to dump right out the side... i have about 2 feet of pipe at the most with only two 45 degree bends and the sound from the exhaust is actually not that bad, no worse than some of those ricey civics at full throttle because the turbo does most of the silencing for you... and at idle you cant hear it at all... it is actually much quieter now than when it had a muffler on it! (previous owner installed an "acoustic" muffler, go figure that out?)

as for the other things on the list they have already been addressed... i will edit my original post to correct this because what i had meant to ask was simply what are peoples preferences on different turbos and why... it seems that somebody always likes this and that and hates something else while others will prefer the opposite...

I am quite familiar with the supra and building it up but my original thread was meant just to ask about preferences and why.

SUPRAPHAT
10-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Okay that's cool, sorry to go off topic, just I meet a lot of people in the supra community that think they can just bolt a bigger turbo up and be done but it's not that simple.

For your application I would go with the Greddy TD06 20G or the SP58GT(sound performance). They are probably the best all around turbos on the market for a street application.

I am running the SP61GT but haven't had a chance to test it out as I still havent started my supie up since the full build this year.

My goal is 500 RWHP which is just a little more than what the stock motor would be able to handle so I would stick to one of the smaller turbos like the ones mentioned.

Do you have any specific turbos in mind that you were thinking about going with or?

Also, what is your name? I organize the supra meets and will add you to my list as a member to contact when we are having a meet!

Thanks

Jason