PDA

View Full Version : Lock nut but no key

B18C
10-19-2004, 08:58 PM
Can tire shops get off wheels with lock nuts without the key? My friend bought a car and wants to put on her winter tires but they didn't give her the key to her lock nuts.

Can Tirecraft help her out?

ZMan2k2
10-19-2004, 09:49 PM
Yep. When my key broke with my McGard lock-nuts, I went to Kal-Tire, and they used an air chisel to get the old ones off. You'll need to buy new lock nuts, if you want them, and then you're good to go.

Weapon_R
10-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Any tire ship can do it. In fact, if you pound the right sized socket and force it on, you can probably get it off that way too.

ninspeed
10-19-2004, 10:40 PM
some dealers should have master key sets for their line of wheel locks, and mcguard... if not, there is a tool from snap on that is basicaly just a taperd socket that you hammer on to the lock nut, and remove it with out damaging the stud

illeagle
10-19-2004, 10:46 PM
Yup, It happened to me. I went to Kal tire near the radisson hotel. I had Mcguard locks on alloy wheels, they got them off in like 10 min. replaced the locks with regular nuts, and also checked my air press, all for Free!!

Phy
10-20-2004, 09:41 AM
Isn't Sears selling those "rusted-nut-remover" tools with the spiral teeth? You're supposed to fit 'em on the end of a bad nut or bolt, and they bite into it, and you can just torque 'em off with a wrench. (Tho I dunno how wide the tool is, it might not fit down the lugnut hole.)

AllGoNoShow
10-20-2004, 09:53 AM
I dont knwo if u mean those crasftsmen thingys but if you do they probbaly wont fit the locknut I havea set downstairs and they seem to small, the mastercraft ones dont even work.

africano
10-20-2004, 12:47 PM
The old "bigger-sized-socket-with-a-rag-in-it" trick works, too.

How do you think the kids steal rims these days.

civicrider
10-20-2004, 12:50 PM
hey do you know what the lock nut looks like? i have a couple that you can try.