PDA

View Full Version : How are Canadian Tire Winter Tires (Nordic IceTrac)

redevil
10-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Looking to see people experience with Canadian Tires Nordic IceTrac winter tires.

Are they any good? Price for size 205/55/16 are about $115 installed with taxes.

Is there anything else better in that price range?
Please let me know, I'm on a tight budget right now but I need something better than my OEM RSX tires.

Thanks

djfob
10-20-2004, 12:21 PM
I have them and they are ok. Nothing compared to like the better name brand ones but alot better than all season. I've had them on for three winters now and the tread is still pretty good.

lint
10-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by redevil
Looking to see people experience with Canadian Tires Nordic IceTrac winter tires.

Are they any good? Price for size 205/55/16 are about $115 installed with taxes.

Please let me know, I'm on a tight budget right now but I need something better than my OEM RSX tires.

Thanks

You can get kumho's or hankook's in that size for about the same price at mytires

Zero102
10-20-2004, 02:04 PM
I'm running the Canadian Tire ones myself. I've been pretty impressed. IIRC, they are made by one of the major tire companies, and are virtually identical to their winter tire. I just can't recall which brand.
I got some 225/60/R15's pretty cheap, I think it was around $420 installed.

C4S
10-20-2004, 02:31 PM
From what I heard, they r pretty damn good ! ( don't compare to $200 tire .. )

:)

legendboy
10-20-2004, 02:34 PM
I have them on my winter civic. I had them on my gf's old car too. They are really good winter tires for the $

We have a set of Arctic Alpines on our corolla and they seem just as good.

93PGT
10-20-2004, 02:35 PM
I was running Costco's Roadhandler Ice & Snow on my Jeep YJ and they were amazing!

Kaos
10-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Ice tracs and the winter tracs are good tires.
I remember one of my friends drove on them all year round and the tead life on them were still good.

For the money, Its a good tire.

statick
10-20-2004, 04:26 PM
how are pirelli snowsports for winter driving?

Xtrema
10-20-2004, 04:51 PM
Just tested them last weekend. The are no worse than Artic Alpins which I got for my Altima. I'm impressed.

Zero102
10-20-2004, 05:04 PM
I've heard great things about the Pirelli's, although I thought they were called Wintersports? Oh well, I could be wrong.

I drove my winter tires from november - may, and they still look like new. The tread wear on them is great. I'm hoping to get 5 or 6 winters out of them. Although, as they wear, they lose grip, so maybe I'll change them earlier.

hampstor
10-20-2004, 08:21 PM
I'm on my second set of Nordic Icetracs... my girl used to work at CT and the guys there tell me that these tires are manufactured by michelin and are almost identical to the Alpins. IMO one of the best bang for the bucks !

Excellent ice and snow traction though I will admit the dry traction isn't the best out there. They cost me 79 / tire for 195/60/r15's

hampstor
10-20-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by redevil

Thanks

Did I run into you at the CT on 64th monday night? Someone was asking me about them while i was loading them into my better halfs car :D

redevil
10-20-2004, 08:54 PM
Thanks for all the replys, I'm probably going to get a set cuz they seem to be the cheapest and in my price range at this point. Keep the replys coming!

LancerShelby
10-20-2004, 09:04 PM
My gf just got a set of 4 185/75/14 wintertrac's for 280 with gst and tire tax incl. Installation is included with the price to, if you want them to do that.

Xtrema
10-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
I'm on my second set of Nordic Icetracs... my girl used to work at CT and the guys there tell me that these tires are manufactured by michelin and are almost identical to the Alpins. IMO one of the best bang for the bucks !

Excellent ice and snow traction though I will admit the dry traction isn't the best out there. They cost me 79 / tire for 195/60/r15's

I won't doubt in, side by side, both tire looks amost the same except for the side marking and thread pattern. But the tread groove are exactly the same.

Police
10-20-2004, 09:45 PM
i got the Ice tracs on my car and i gotta tell ya the best $400 i've spent, they grip way better then all seasons and you don't stay at one spot spinning till the snow goes shinny it just keeps digging. I bought these last year drove them for 1 winter and there is still 95% tread on there. The diffrence between the Ice trac and Winter trac is the Winter trac you can stud them and they are a little cheaper. Thumbs up from me and i would honestly recomend this to everyone, one accident that you can prevent with the winter tires is all worth it in the end. :thumbsup:

Ferio_vti
10-20-2004, 09:45 PM
I have wintertracs and I have no complaints. I drive to Airdrie, so I didn't want to get expensive winters, especially if its gonna be driven on mostly highway.
In any case, the cheapest winter tires are gonna be a lot better than the best all-season tires.

R-Zuki
10-20-2004, 10:02 PM
i agree...the nordic ice tracs are pretty good tires for their decent price. i've used them for 2 years and im happy with them. if u want something good on a budget, i recommend you get a set for winter.:D

Sky
10-20-2004, 11:46 PM
I got them for two years...tread still good for my third....super soft side wall....suck on ice....other than that...its great for the price...

Chandler_Racing
10-21-2004, 02:23 PM
Those tires are 100 fold better than all seasons, i got about 4 seasons out of them on my legend, definatly a good investment in your car.

redevil
10-21-2004, 10:02 PM
Well I just picked up a set today, and will be getting them installed tomorrow!

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Drsuce
10-21-2004, 11:18 PM
i got my 215/60r15 michlien x-ice for $124 :P

i hear good things about both tires, however.... my mustang gt is more stable on ice than mose suv's no traction probs AT ALL

Zero102
10-22-2004, 09:04 AM
Yeah, my only complaint is the dry traction. They really don't hold well on dry roads...
Other than that, great bang for your buck.

2fives
09-03-2006, 03:53 PM
These tires are currently on sale at CT for $57/each. I'm seriously thinking of picking up a set of 4 as I'm sick and tired of going through each winter on summer tires. Even though Vancouver get minimal snow, on the few days we do it always seems like I have something important to do on that same day.

But my question is can anyone tell me what the treadwear rating of these tires are?? Should be some number like 300 or 400 for example.

Thanks.