PDA

View Full Version : Yet another speeding ticket thread.. but..

10-20-2004, 02:14 PM
I've done my searching and reading, so I know I should go in and talk to the CP. (20 over in 70 zone ticket)

But, I was really wondering is: is there a difference between talking to the CP and getting dermits reduced to 0, vs getting the ticket quashed by actually pleading not guilty and fighting the ticket?

What does (No dermits == No conviction) evaluate to?

JordanLotoski
10-20-2004, 02:19 PM
i got a ticket 2 months ago 90 in a 50 construction zone....i talked ot the CP last week...he tossed the ticket out..i said there was no construction ahead sign, wold have been like 4 points and 263 bucks...cost me 0 and no points..thats the second one hes tossed in the past 2 months

Trafficlawyer
10-21-2004, 02:45 AM
Well, it's a risk thing. Take your chances if you take it to trial. When I was a traffic prosecutor back in Winnipeg, I would always listen to people prior to court and if it looked like I could help them, and they seemed guinely interested in clearing the whole thing up, then I'd agree to reducing the points to 0 (or demerits, whatever you call them).

If the person was a feisty one, didn't talk to me, and took it to trial, there was really no incentive or reason to reduce the demerits to 0 if I convicted him. And if I lost (10% of the time) then sure, no demerits.

Anybody--and I know nobody actually mentioned it in this thread--that thinks they're saving the Crown a whole lot of work by avoiding a trial is dreaming. Many guys think that the Crown is all scared of trial and stuff, but I can tell you that for a true trial lawyer (many of whom are Crowns) going to trial is quite enjoyable and is really no burden. Crowns don't plea negotiate (bargain) to save themselves the trouble of a trial. They do it because they genuinely care and they like to save time.

So, if you're not a cocky bastard then talk to the Crown. The worst he/she is going to say to your offer is no.

http://www.novusinc.ca/images/logos/traffic.gif

www.trafficlawyer.ca

HellfireR6
10-21-2004, 11:56 AM
go on the court date issued on the ticket, go to the room to talk to a ticket negotiater, if u are not a repeat offender for speeding he'll deduct no demerits and make u pay half the ticket.... better than going to the ticket defense guys, they'll charge u $200 - $250 plus u got to pay the ticket w no demerits but unless ur a repeat offender than u'll need them for no points

10-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Yeah, thats what I plan on doing, but if I pay the ticket and get the dermits reduced to 0, does that still show up as a "ticket" or "conviction" for insurance?

TrevorK
10-22-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by 008
Yeah, thats what I plan on doing, but if I pay the ticket and get the dermits reduced to 0, does that still show up as a "ticket" or "conviction" for insurance?

You get one free ticket for your insurance.

Maybe you should try following the rules of the road and you wouldn't have this problem?