PDA

View Full Version : Besides double-sided tape...

szw
11-25-2002, 01:10 AM
What kind of adhesive is strong enough to hold a door-moulding to a door, while not damaging the paint when I decide to peel it away later?

There was some real sticky thick stuff on there from the factory, the 3m double sided tape I bought isn't cuttin' it.

Something in a squeeze-tube (calking gun type thingy)?? Is the regular black silicone stuff okay to use without really damaging car paint?

Scott
11-25-2002, 02:51 AM
Look for 3m VHB (very high bond) double sided tape. You cant find it at canadian tire or anywhere (at least i couldnt) i found it at a graphics shop (In BC so i dont know where you can get it in calgary)

szw
11-25-2002, 03:33 PM
Good call, I used to have some of that stuff, forgot about it. I'll check by my old workplace to see if I can have some more.

driz6
11-26-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by szw
What kind of adhesive is strong enough to hold a door-moulding to a door, while not damaging the paint when I decide to peel it away later?

There was some real sticky thick stuff on there from the factory, the 3m double sided tape I bought isn't cuttin' it.

Something in a squeeze-tube (calking gun type thingy)?? Is the regular black silicone stuff okay to use without really damaging car paint?

The 3m stuff will work just fine but make sure that the surface is totally free of the sticky nasty stuff that gets left on the door and molding when you take the molding off. The surfaceS have to be totally clean or the new double sided tape wont stick.

good luck

R-Audi
11-26-2002, 10:52 AM
Check with your local body shop. I'm sure they can set you up with some quite cheap

RickDaTuner
11-26-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by driz6

The 3m stuff will work just fine but make sure that the surface is totally free of the sticky nasty stuff that gets left on the door and molding when you take the molding off. The surfaceS have to be totally clean or the new double sided tape wont stick.

good luck
yeah thats what i was gonna say, use goo be gone then clean it all wiht some rubbing alcohol that should stay, thats actually what the manufactures use

MerfBall
11-27-2002, 11:25 PM
Bring it by your local dealer and ask them what they use. They might be nice and either give u some or put it back on for u.