PDA

View Full Version : Wastegate question...

DriftScort
10-20-2004, 06:56 PM
ok after getting my car back from the shop they have installed my BOV vac line by a Tee into my wastegate vac line. now is this bad to share one vac line for the two? i then read on turbosmart's website that they reccomend that the BOV's vac line NOT be shared. im asking this because my wastegate doesnt seem to be working correctly because i am overboosting. I know the actuator rod moves because i tested it on its own but could the wastegate not be working because its not getting enough pressure to it because the BOV is sharing the same vac line??? sorry for the long post but i really wanna figure this out. thanx!!

kevie88
10-20-2004, 06:59 PM
oh jeez get that tee outta there! The wastegate needs to see the exact boost pressure! I'd try to get the BOV line hooked somewhere else.. on most turbo cars the bov valve would be hooked up to the intake manifold vaccum after the throttle body.

What kind of car is this?

*edit*

What shop hooked it up like that? I can't believe they'd make a mistake like that..

Jason Lange
10-20-2004, 08:29 PM
Change that shiz now. Put a straight line back to the wastegate and run a fresh line from the manifold after the throttle body. Someone made a mistake.

DriftScort
10-20-2004, 08:45 PM
so i can have one vac line running from the wastegate to the intake mani and a seperate one from the BOV to the intake mani? thanx so much for the replies guys. also which vac line would you reccomend i hook up my boost gauge to(mechanical)??

M_Power
10-20-2004, 10:04 PM
which shop did the install??

DriftScort
10-20-2004, 10:45 PM
a shop here in edmonton

EFHatch
10-20-2004, 11:30 PM
for a second i thought you were gonna say concept-1

what a bunch of amatuers down there.
cant even install a boost guage correctly, let a lone a SC.

DriftScort
10-20-2004, 11:39 PM
so i can have one vac line running from the wastegate to the intake mani and a seperate one from the BOV to the intake mani? thanx so much for the replies guys. also which vac line would you reccomend i hook up my boost gauge to(mechanical)??

hjr
10-20-2004, 11:51 PM
it would seem that the wastegate vac line should be run from as close to the turbo as possible, to get an accurate boost level for it to work with. the bov should be run after the tb, and the w/g before the tb.

this is how vw runs their system on the 1.8t

http://www.hammondsplains.com/zclub/techtips/turbo/vw.jpg

but you dont have a frequency valve, so dont worry about that portion. (this is a jdm 1.8l mazda bpt from the gtx)

mike, are you running afm or map?

Owned 2
10-21-2004, 12:09 AM
HJR, there is no reason why it needs to be closest to the turbo as possible, that would be fine for a stock application, but in any performance related application, I'd want my wastegate line hooked up at the intake manifold. why you ask? well because there its getting an accurate reading of how much boost your actually forcing into your engine, you have to take into account pressure drops from intercoolers and such.

Owned 2
10-21-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by DriftScort

I'd T off from the waste gate line for the boost gauge. becarefull where you mount your vacume sources tho, you don't wana run into a lean burn issue in a certain cylinder. :thumbsup:

DriftScort
10-21-2004, 06:24 PM
so its alright to have the wastegates vac line running to the intake manifold ?? i heard from people that this will cause the wastegate to not be as responsive and could not open fast enough. im so confused as to run the line to the intake manifold or tap a hole into the charge pipe after the compressor outlet. argh :nut:

Owned 2
10-21-2004, 06:28 PM
I've never seen a problem at all doing what I sujested.

DriftScort
10-21-2004, 06:37 PM
so do you think the reason why im getting uncontrolled boost is because they have my bov's vac line tee'd into the wastegates vac line?

Owned 2
10-21-2004, 06:39 PM
I rocked my wastegate hooked up to the BOV for along time, no problems, your wastegate might be fucked. or maybe a cracked o2 housing, who knows man.

DriftScort
10-21-2004, 06:54 PM
if the wastegate was screwed would the actuator rod not move when being given pressure? because i tested to see if it even actually moves and it does. how fast is the rod supposed to move?

Owned 2
10-21-2004, 07:05 PM
my waste gate arm is pretty hard to move, you gotta really pull on it. and when you give it a quick blast with the aircompressor, it really moves :)

Euro_Trash
10-21-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by EFHatch
for a second i thought you were gonna say concept-1

what a bunch of amatuers down there.
cant even install a boost guage correctly, let a lone a SC.

I thought they do a pretty good job, at least with my experiences there. Everyone Ive talked to seem perfectly knowledgable and Ive been there quite a bit.

EFHatch
10-22-2004, 07:00 PM
don't get me started with C-1

maybe it was a rare circumstance, but everything they installed had to come back.

Euro_Trash
10-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Oh well I found them ok. Im just curious, did you bring a civic there?

DriftScort
10-23-2004, 10:44 PM
is there anyway to lube the actuator rod to maybe free it up a bit?? or is this not safe to try?

Alpine Autowerks
10-23-2004, 10:48 PM
hjr the ECU controls the boost via info from the MAP sensor which is connected to the manifold plenum. the solnoid is plumbed to the compresor to get the higest presure possible to get the quickest reaction time possible.

EFHatch
10-24-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
Oh well I found them ok. Im just curious, did you bring a civic there?

a friends SC jetta

DriftScort
10-31-2004, 03:49 PM
well i tested it with an air compressor and it opens super slow when fed 14psi, so its obviously sticky, what could i do to fix this??? is it possible to fix with the turbo on the car or is my only choice to remove the turbo and look inside??

DriftScort
11-06-2004, 04:16 PM
????

Alpine Autowerks
11-08-2004, 12:42 PM
the turbo will have to come out

DriftScort
11-09-2004, 09:22 PM
is it possible the flapper door could stick this bad?? or do you think its more likely the actuator itself, maybe the spring??