PDA

View Full Version : Get caught? better not or you'll get crushed!

RickDaTuner
10-20-2004, 10:18 PM
Illegal Racer's Seized Car Crushed

New City Ordinance In Place To Discourgage Speed Contests

Oct 13, 2004 3:43 pm US/Pacific
LOS ANGELES (CBS) The first car seized under a Los Angeles ordinance meant to discourage speed contests on public streets was destroyed Wednesday, and authorities vowed that more would follow.

"This is a critical issue for the city of Los Angeles," said Los Angeles police Chief William Bratton.

"Eight people to date this year have lost their lives in drag-racing related accidents," Says Bratton. "Eight people who should be alive today, except for the mindless foolishness of this type of activity."

Officials presided over the destruction of the white IROC Chevrolet Camaro seized on Aug. 30, 2003. The car was later declared a nuisance, then sold at auction to the Valley Traffic Advisory Council, a police-citizens group that donated it to the city.

In what amounted to a carefully scripted photo opportunity, Mayor Jim Hahn and Bratton donned hardhats and gave a thumbs up to the operator of a mechanical claw when it was safe to drop a huge weight on top of the two-door.

The car buckled in the middle as the weight flattened the roof, then the drop process was repeated several times to complete the job.

Joining Hahn for the demonstration were City Council members Dennis Zine, a former police officer, and Wendy Greuel, whose district has been the site of several street races in recent years, particularly after the movie "2 Fast 2 Furious" and its sequel.

On Oct. 1, two seniors from Village Christian School were killed in what police believe was a head-on, racing-related collision in the 7700 block of La Tuna Canyon Road in Sun Valley.

The driver of the car, also a Village Christian student, was critically injured and underwent brain surgery at Providence Holy Cross Medical Center in Mission Hills that Friday.

Four nights later, police broke up a large crowd -- 35 carloads of young people -- gathered for racing in the 8000 block of Haskell Avenue. Two cars seized in that raid will be destroyed, police said. A dozen people were arrested. It is misdemeanor in Los Angeles to even watch an illegal car race.

"This is not a game," Greuel said. "And it's not a movie. It's a choice that has life-and-death consequences, and also has consequences for your vehicle."

Hahn said the crushing is "going to be a dramatic reminder to everybody what can happen if you get caught racing illegally in the city of Los Angeles. We're not here because we want to take somebody's fun away. This is not fun to go to somebody's funeral."

Video Here (http://kcbs.dayport.com/viewer/viewerpage.php?Art_ID=3950&tf=video_player.tpl&Category_ID=71#)

Focus
10-20-2004, 10:43 PM
:eek: :eek: That is nuts!!!

Would it not make more sense to take their cars and auction them?

Z_Fan
10-20-2004, 10:51 PM
I hate IROCS. That car looked like a POS anyhow...

Good riddance.

Although I don't like the idea of cars being seized just because they were moving fast...

ehos
10-20-2004, 10:54 PM
What a waste of money.

The 'counsil' bought the car, and donated it to the city so the mayer could get some BS media spin off of it.

That would be the same as if someone was shot with a gun, and they took the gun and melted it.

What's the point? That if you streetrace they'll buy your car at auction and crush it? Wow. What a message.

How about take that money and build a track? Or put a few more cops on the beat?

I'm sure LA has bigger worries than street racing? Murders maybe?

Kaos
10-20-2004, 11:01 PM
Ricky, dont be pullin drifter styles around those hilltops with the STI (I heard you were getting it this friday:D )
Or else you'll roll over and get crushed.

mx73someday
10-20-2004, 11:19 PM
America Fuck Ya! They probably learned this one from the video of that American tank that crushed the Iraqi taxi carrying stolen lumber.

RickDaTuner
10-20-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Kaos
Ricky, dont be pullin drifter styles around those hilltops with the STI (I heard you were getting it this friday:D )
Or else you'll roll over and get crushed.

no drifting.. mabey on some nice fire roads..

86max
10-21-2004, 07:20 AM
Meh, whatever it takes to stop these fools racing on public roads. Good for L.A.

ZMan2k2
10-21-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by 86max
Meh, whatever it takes to stop these fools racing on public roads. Good for L.A.

My thoughts exactly. As for buying the cars to crush them, I agree that it's foolish. But at the same time, if there is a chance that the car is going to get purchased by another fool who's just gonna race it, isn't it better to just get it off the road?

DreammEr
10-21-2004, 08:19 AM
:eek:

jegger69
10-21-2004, 04:17 PM
WTF it is street racing, cops kill more ppl a year then racing dose so y dont they crush there guns?? drinking and driving kills more ppl a year then street racing, why dosent every car have a breath test in it???, smoking kills more ppl then drinking and driving street racing and cops put together, why dont they bann smoking??

m10-power
10-21-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by 86max

What if it were your car, and you weren't racing, cops just didn't like you...

Seems like a typical political media attention grab, only another reason for them to not stop for the police, perhaps causing more deaths. Perhaps the answer is not to be found, racing has been apart of driving since there were cars. I bet cell phone users cause more deaths, maybe they should crush the phones too...

They are afraid of themselves, thank the media, if there isnt a terrorist action whatever are they going to show on the news, happy stories are no good.