PDA

View Full Version : Dinan vs Mix and match

kerr
10-21-2004, 11:07 AM
I have a 98 540i with the V8 6 speed and i am considering doing the Dinan stage 2 upgrade(chip,CAI,Exhaust) which is roughly $4800 in my opinion the advantages are flawless engineering and high quality parts also dealer support. However i am sure i could get the same gains if not more by using different manufactures for each uprade and probably do it for much cheaper however i am not very mechnicaly inclined and i do not want to comprimise reliabilty whatsoever. Any advice would be very helpful especialy from those who have done mods on a E39.

Clem
10-21-2004, 11:15 AM
What exactly are you trying to mix and match? Software, exhaust, intakes etc etc?

kerr
10-21-2004, 11:20 AM
Yes I would first like to upgrade the intake,exhaust, and software.

Clem
10-21-2004, 11:24 AM
Mix and matching is fine. I've done it with Dinan software for years. In fact I found better results with a non-Dinan intake and Dinan Stg2 software on my E46.

bol
10-21-2004, 11:26 AM
I find Dinan products to be overpriced and no better than others. Their CAI's are very nice however.

It doesn't look there are many gains to be had using those products though and you shouldn't expect any more than 20HP at the wheels.

If you're looking for some real performance - supercharge that engine.

kerr
10-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Yes i agreee maybe only 20hp but i should get more torque and it should sound a lot better. My wish list really for my car once is CAI,Exhaust,Software. then M5 front and rear bumpers sidesills etc finally upgrade my front and rear lights to clear. Suspension would be the very last if at all as i save the track for my ninja. A supercharger would be fantastic but i do not want to comprimise my engines life or reliability also they are very expensive (I may as well bought a M5). I guess my real question at this point is whats the best comb for software,CAI,Exhaust?

Clem
10-21-2004, 11:39 AM
GruppeM has provided me with the best results thus far for intakes (I've uses Dinan, ECIS and GruppeM on my car already)

Most exhausts are quite similar in gains. What you have to figure out is how loud do you want it.

Dinan is pretty good for software but like Adam said it is overpriced like the rest of their products.

kerr
10-21-2004, 11:50 AM
I have never evern heard of GruppeM ill have to check them out. I am very new to the BMW world. I thank you all for your advice thus far. Any help is very appreciated.

Clem
10-21-2004, 12:06 PM
email [email protected] or [email protected]

http://www.rennsport.com/

They are absolutely awesome to deal with and they are the exclusive importer of GruppeM in North America

Locally you an deal with Tunerworks but I am not sure what Rob has for E39 performance but I'm sure he can help you out as well.

kerr
10-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Ya rob is very helpful he sold me some 19''
breyton spirits

ACS-e36
10-21-2004, 01:56 PM
dinan is overrated and over priced... theres others out there that have better results

Mikaldor
10-21-2004, 04:02 PM
Dyno results for e39 (http://www.bmw540ifun.com/Dynos&QtrMile.htm)

With a bunch of different e39's and their mods, HP and Tq results. Seems that mix and match works as well as Dinan for performance results.

Another good place for information is www.bimmerforums.com although they are US based, some good mod information and links from that site.

I'm personally looking to do the CAI for my 540iT and the sway bars and most likely to chip the engine and transmission software (I have the steptronic).

kerr
10-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Does the 540iT mean yours is the wagon style?. Does it still have the v8?

Clem
10-22-2004, 09:05 AM
540i indicates a V8. The "T" indicated it's a Touring model. Touring mdels in Europe are wagons.

Mikaldor
11-02-2004, 09:06 PM
Yup the T means that it is a wagon style. Still has the V8. I also have the Steptronic transmission, no option for standard, and the 3.15 diff.

BMDUBS
12-14-2004, 02:29 AM
For $4800 bux, I wouldn't frig around with these bolt ons 20 RWHP max. I would be saving my cake for a supercharger. Thats bang for your buck. Dinan makes beautiful quality products, but as stated before over priced and I personally feel with my experience with their products, overrated. But if warranty is holding you back, then all the power to you... Just my 2 cents...