PDA

View Full Version : Can you have a turbo charger *and* a supercharger?

Carfanman
10-21-2004, 12:10 PM
^^- This is probably a very stupid question but being new to car moding and cars in general i'm not sure

Weapon_R
10-21-2004, 12:13 PM
You sure can.

calgarys13
10-21-2004, 12:15 PM
search for twincharge

Carfanman
10-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Ok, also is it possible to take a v8 engine and put it into a car that originally had a v6 engine. If not how come?

2002civic
10-21-2004, 12:29 PM
^^depends on the car but most likely it can happen with money

Carfanman
10-21-2004, 12:33 PM
Wow so if I were to put a v8 engine in say a porsche and then twincharge it, I would have a sweet car! Now all I need is money.

QuasarCav
10-21-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Carfanman
Wow so if I were to put a v8 engine in say a porsche and then twincharge it, I would have a sweet car! Now all I need is money.

Lots of money, the more custom work required, the more money required.

Try to find a car that had a V8 option like a camaro, buy a V6 camaro and drop the v8 in.

Ferio_vti
10-21-2004, 12:38 PM

You can't just put any engine into any car. There's a bit more involved than *just* having a lot of money.

Carfanman
10-21-2004, 12:45 PM
Maybe but I really like the porsche v12 vanquish and Im not crazy about the Camaro. What would have to be done to the porsche in order to hook up a v8 engine?

QuasarCav
10-21-2004, 12:51 PM
Buy one that came stock with a V8!

Why do you have a fixation on V8's? In todays world a I4 can be made to produce as much power. Porsche uses a pretty damn good F6. The turbo 911's make over 400Hp.

calgarys13
10-21-2004, 12:52 PM
porsche v12 vanquish?????and yes anything can be done with with enough money.besides twincharging is a headache and inefficient..the best way ive seen is a nitrous system rigged for small rpm to increse revs and then shuts off once the turbo starts to make boost..no parasitic loss and alot cooler!

Carfanman
10-21-2004, 01:07 PM
Oh crap I confused two cars. I meant porsche carrera GT. I just looked at the specs and it has a V10 engine so thats good. Sorry, I haven't looked at the porsche in a while so I forgot a couple of things, sorry again.
Another thing, I know what I V and F is but I'm not sure of the pros and cons of each one. Can someone please explain it to me? Thanks.

QuasarCav
10-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Just check out Howstuffworks.com

Carfanman
10-21-2004, 01:23 PM
I have. I read the How turbocharges work and how engines work a few weeks ago. The how engines work is where I found out what I V and F is but it doesn't explain why each one is good and bad.

finboy
10-21-2004, 01:28 PM
are you 15? :dunno:

Carfanman
10-21-2004, 01:30 PM
No, why?

QuasarCav
10-21-2004, 01:32 PM
It all depends on what you are going for in the end.

You dont see too many companies using the Flat engines very much and those that do usually stick to them.

V engines are the most common for 6's and 8's, do some research and find out why.

Inline engines are really common in FWD cars, they are smaller and easier to package transversely.

I learned from car mags and the internet, I suggest you do the same.

Carfanman
10-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Scince you seem probably know what sites have good info and which do not, could you possibly provide me with links to some good sites?

finboy
10-21-2004, 01:46 PM
Scince you seem probably know what sites have good info and which do not, could you possibly provide me with links to some good sites?

http://forums.beyond.ca/images/top_search.gif

Carfanman
10-21-2004, 03:16 PM
I did search but I'm looking more for sites that tell me how cars work rather than about new cars or parts. Yes that is good also but doesn't tell me what I need to know. I already read many tutorials on howstuffworks.com but like I said, It didn't list the pros and cons of each engine setup.

QuasarCav
10-21-2004, 03:21 PM
How Anti-Lock Brakes Work
How Automatic Transmissions Work
How Automobile Ignition Systems Work
How Brakes Work
How Camshafts Work
How Car Computers Work
How Car Cooling Systems Work
How Car Engines Work
How Car Steering Works
How Catalytic Converters Work
How Clutches Work
How Diesel Engines Work
How Diesel Two-Stroke Engines Work
How Differentials Work
How Disc Brakes Work
How Drum Brakes Work
How Four-Wheel Drive Works
How Fuel Injection Systems Work
How Fuel Processors Work
How Gear Ratios Work
How Gears Work
How Harley-Davidson Works
How HEMI Engines Work
How Horsepower Works
How Manual Transmissions Work
How Master Cylinders and Combination Valves Work
How Mufflers Work
How NASCAR Race Cars Work
How Power Brakes Work
How Rotary Engines Work
How Sequential Gearboxes Work
How the Bugatti Veyron Works
How Torque Converters Work
How Wires, Fuses and Connectors Work

Read ALL of this, I will have a test ready tommorow;)

Carfanman
10-21-2004, 04:09 PM
LOL, but my question is which one of those will tell me the pros and cons of different engines setups, as in i, v or f

Go4Long
10-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
Why do you have a fixation on V8's? In todays world a I4 can be made to produce as much power. Porsche uses a pretty damn good F6. The turbo 911's make over 400Hp.

that is the dumbest thing I have heard today...sit down in the corner and think about what you've said...

you can mod the shit out of a I4 to make it produce as much power as a stock V8 sure...but if ya spend as much money modding a V8 as you did on that I4, you will have probably over 1000hp and a car that doesn't have a 14 second quarter mile time with a 120mp/h trap speed thanks to traction issues.

Toms-SC
10-21-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long

that is the dumbest thing I have heard today...sit down in the corner and think about what you've said...

you can mod the shit out of a I4 to make it produce as much power as a stock V8 sure...but if ya spend as much money modding a V8 as you did on that I4, you will have probably over 1000hp and a car that doesn't have a 14 second quarter mile time with a 120mp/h trap speed thanks to traction issues.

:werd: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :) ;)

blinkme_210
10-21-2004, 06:28 PM
Stop making yourself look worse than you already are. Go read up on those sites, then come on back.

You can't simply just compare the number of cylinders an engine has. There are much more factors like weight distribution, drive train, suspension, etc.

Ben
10-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Please dont Twincharge your LS6 powered Carerra GT. Thanks.

Go4Long
10-21-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Ben
hahahaha...weak:rofl:

Carfanman
10-21-2004, 08:23 PM
blinkme_210, If you had read my post you would know that I said I have read the information on howstuffworks.com Ive read the how engines work and like I just said, It doesnt tell what the pros and cons are, it just says that there are some pros and cons to each. So now I'm asking for some web sites that will explain the pros and cons to me because The sites I found when I searched this forum didn't explain it.
You say go read up on those sites, what sites are you talking about dipsh*t I only see one site and I already said it a few times that it doesn't answer my questions. Don't post if you don't know what the he11 ur talking about.

blinkme_210
10-21-2004, 09:06 PM
Can you say hostile? I was trying to tell you to read up on some more, then come back, so you could save face and not be asking all these fucking retarded questions. Don't be trying to nit pick every single word that I type.

First off, I'm not the one that's come on with this whole Fast and the Furious mentality. What the fuck did you expect to learn from Howstuffworks.com?? How to mod a V8 into your imaginary Carrera GT? Or if this engine will fit into this chassis? You know what? While you're at it, why don't you go ahead and ask us if it is possible to change the bore & stroke in a 13B engine.

Oh yeh, you forgot one more type of engine, rotary. Or as you would probably call it, r? So you know what, to make you feel a little better, I'll give you a quick run down.

Inline:
All the cylinders are in a straight line, making it easier to install intake/exhaust manifolds on/off. In FWD, the engine is mounted transversely. V6's or V8's are usually used by RWD or AWD drive train cars. The engine is mounted parallel to the bonnet, so the engine can only be so big before you run out of room.

V:
2 banks of cylinder heads. Thus requiring 2 valve trains, and usually 2 exhaust manifolds for each side. Fucking heavy as hell, so it can throw off the weight distribution of the car.

Flat:
180 degrees apart, which lowers the center of gravity giving the car better handling.

calgarys13
10-21-2004, 09:10 PM
what a great thread:drama:

Go4Long
10-22-2004, 08:40 AM
why are you talking about V6 and V8 under inline engines? :D
there is also a W8(good old krauts)...
there are a lot more advantages to each specific engine type than just it's ability to be placed in various platforms and drivetrain configurations...certain manufacturers will stick with a single engine type simply due to its advantages(ie: BMW runs straight six's due to smoother power delivery).

V6's and 8's are not required by the laws of engine building to be heavy, infact swapping a LS1 V8 into an RX7 in place of the 13BT only ads somewhere in the neighbourhood of 100 lbs(supposedly...I have never personally done this so I dunno).

but as for this topic...:whocares:

blinkme_210
10-22-2004, 08:55 AM
Haha, whoops. No idea why I started talking about V's under inline. But yeh, forgot about that Volkswagen engine.

sebringLxi_girl
10-22-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Ben

okay I dont know really that much about cars but i am learning, so what the hell is a twin charger??? never heard of it??

sebringLxi_girl
10-22-2004, 08:18 PM
why are you talking about V6 and V8 under inline engines? :D
there is also a W8(good old krauts)...
there are a lot more advantages to each specific engine type than just it's ability to be placed in various platforms and drivetrain configurations...certain manufacturers will stick with a single engine type simply due to its advantages(ie: BMW runs straight six's due to smoother power delivery).

V6's and 8's are not required by the laws of engine building to be heavy, infact swapping a LS1 V8 into an RX7 in place of the 13BT only ads somewhere in the neighbourhood of 100 lbs(supposedly...I have never personally done this so I dunno).

but as for this topic...:whocares:

how are w8 lined up?????

sebringLxi_girl
10-22-2004, 08:37 PM
okay never mind i figured it out

noodles
10-22-2004, 08:47 PM
you will see that setup like that on a hugeass diesel that requires that much boost to function at higher efficiency.....

sebringLxi_girl
10-22-2004, 10:10 PM
hey noodles are u talking about the w set up

finboy
10-22-2004, 11:59 PM

you can mod the shit out of a I4 to make it produce as much power as a stock V8 sure...but if ya spend as much money modding a V8 as you did on that I4, you will have probably over 1000hp

it doesn't take "modding the shit" out of a 4 banger to make the same power :thumbsup:

ex1z7
10-23-2004, 06:31 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong somebody but this is what I've gathered...

Inline Engines, inline 6 really, are long - longer then a V6 for sure. Meaning you have to have a longer front end, and a longer car at that. The bigger the car, the heavier. The engine itself is great but it's a tight fit in alot of cars whereas a V6 isn't as bad. I belive....

V engines, due to the fact their shorter then an inline engine they can be placed into a car which is not terribly long, engine bay wise. You can get a bigger engine into a car without having to make the car wide, but the car is higher because the engine is higher - from the V configuration.

Flat engines, flat 6/8's to be more precise are short and not long - but they're wide. I believe it's like taking an inline engine and sticking it on it's side, correct ?

4 cyl engines are inline because a V4 isn't practical. Flat fours and inline fours are small, gas efficient, and can produce plenty of power. All engine configurations can produce plenty of power.

Correct where needed, please :)

Go4Long
10-23-2004, 08:40 AM
err...V engines are not taller than an inline engine...but yes...they are shorter(in length), they tend to be wider(obviousely).

W8 would be 4 banks of two cylinders...

and finboy:
show me a 4 cylinder producing over 400hp that hasn't had at least half the value of a new car put into the motor, and I'll show you a 4 cylinder that won't last a season.(there are of course exceptions to every rule...SR20DET's and the likes have been shown to be able to do it on stock internals...) I have nothing against low displacement motors, I drive a 1.3 Liter with no cylinders, so I am not saying you must have 8 cylinders to make power. I am just saying, the money put into the average 4 banger to make it push 400hp to the wheels would be much more wisely spent making a car that could actually use the power. read all the articles in your magazines about the 400hp hondas and what not, every single one of them mentions how crazy stupid the car is to drive around town. You put 400 hp to the steering axle, it's gonna get crazy. Go drive a corvette, you can mash the gas on that thing and know your actually going to go somewhere in a hurry when you do it.

AllGoNoShow
10-23-2004, 11:57 AM
lol Ill show u one in the spring Go4Long :P, the engine swap/turbo on my buddies civic is just abotu complete and in total for engine/wirirng/turbo/intercooler he has only spent about $580 or so lol :D, now lets see if it all works :P, this is a useless thread though, he doesnt even know what hes talking baout yet he wants to twincharge a Porsche with a v8!??!?! :zzz: :banghead: :drama: :whocares:

Go4Long
10-23-2004, 05:22 PM
and I'll show you a 4 cylinder that won't last a season

:rofl:

finboy
10-23-2004, 05:48 PM
err...V engines are not taller than an inline engine...but yes...they are shorter(in length), they tend to be wider(obviousely).

W8 would be 4 banks of two cylinders...

and finboy:
show me a 4 cylinder producing over 400hp that hasn't had at least half the value of a new car put into the motor, and I'll show you a 4 cylinder that won't last a season.(there are of course exceptions to every rule...SR20DET's and the likes have been shown to be able to do it on stock internals...) I have nothing against low displacement motors, I drive a 1.3 Liter with no cylinders, so I am not saying you must have 8 cylinders to make power. I am just saying, the money put into the average 4 banger to make it push 400hp to the wheels would be much more wisely spent making a car that could actually use the power. read all the articles in your magazines about the 400hp hondas and what not, every single one of them mentions how crazy stupid the car is to drive around town. You put 400 hp to the steering axle, it's gonna get crazy. Go drive a corvette, you can mash the gas on that thing and know your actually going to go somewhere in a hurry when you do it.

yes, i will go read about all the cars in magazines :rolleyes:

i could go on with many examples such as the 300 hp sti, blah blah blah, but its obvious you have your "you need displacement to go fast daily" ideas, so i'll let you enjoy them. but just for the record...

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/465970

been running for many seasons and makes over 400 wtq and it is one of many, really not that expensive at all if you spend your money right ;)

Carfanman
10-23-2004, 07:17 PM
I'm not going to twincharge a Porsche with a v8, I was just using the porsche as an example and I dont plan on modding any engines yet, I was just wondering if it was possible. I'm 14, do you really think I have the $$ to even own a porsche??

I'm just trying to learn as many ways as possible to boost a cars speed. Also, what, if any, is the max. apount of turbochargers you can put in a car?

Ben
10-23-2004, 08:13 PM
I'm not going to twincharge a Porsche with a v8, I was just using the porsche as an example and I dont plan on modding any engines yet, I was just wondering if it was possible. I'm 14, do you really think I have the $$ to even own a porsche??

I'm just trying to learn as many ways as possible to boost a cars speed. Also, what, if any, is the max. apount of turbochargers you can put in a car?

I've seen and twin turbo I4's (stupid IMO), twin turbo V6's and I6's. Twin Turbo V8's and V12's. I've never seen a quad turbo V12 but I'm sure it's doable, 1 turbo per 3-4 cylinders works well

Bugatti has a car called the Veyron that is a quad turbo W16.

Go4Long
10-23-2004, 08:18 PM
there is a quad turbo V8 camaro that was being campaigned on the drag circuit for a while...that thing kicked ass...

like I said...there are exceptions. and yeah...a 400hp STi is more than doable...same with the Evo's I've seen some 900hp examples...but we are talkin about for cheap cars here...an STi is 50k, that's not cheap...to make 400 hp probly another couple thousand is a low guess...so...let's be realistic...

AllGoNoShow
10-23-2004, 09:43 PM
yah Ive seen a quad turbo v8 aswell, wasnt a Camaro though I forget what it was, maybe I got a video of it still mhmmh............................

Ferio_vti
10-23-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Ben

I've never seen a quad turbo V12 but I'm sure it's doable, 1 turbo per 3-4 cylinders works well

See the Chrysler ME 4 12. Though its only a concept, they do have a working model.

mroseneder
10-23-2004, 10:45 PM
Okay Mr. I-Wanna-Learn-What-Makes-Fast,

(Note to all others: watch this kid when he gets a car...)

Before you start asking stupid questions, I would learn about engines in general and how they work, not what makes more power.

An engine is a carefully harnessed burning/explosion of fuel. To make more power, you simply add more air and more fuel. If you want to make LOTS more power, get bigger inches.

In a smaller displacement engine, like my 1.8T, you need big mods to get big gains, such as a Stage 3 or 4 turbokit. Small mods, such as intake, exhaust, air filter might see 7 or 8 horsepower each or maybe 10-15 in total (at the wheels) because the engine isn't BIG enough to make a TON of power.

There are small mods that you can do to big engines that give you real power. Bigger lift on the camshaft (more room for air to get in/out), longer duration on the camshaft (more time for air to get in/out), port matched intake/exhaust valves (cleaner, easier flow for air), tubular intake manifold, bigger cylinder heads and valves (more air in/out), free-flowing exhaust (no restriction = more power, but not enough restriction = less torque), bigger carb (more fuel/air).

Generally, it's easier to make big power out of big inches for less money. For 5000, I can build a killer V8. For the same five grand, I could have maybe 300whp out of my 1.8T. It's all preference.

Remember, more fuel, more air, more inches, more power. Turbos force air in by using the exhaust to spin turbines (which means turbos make their power when the exhaust is flowing hard = higher rpms)... Bigger turbos take longer to spool so it takes longer to make the power vs. superchargers run off intake and make power as soon as you hammer the throttle.

And don't forget compression ratios. Higher compression means more violent burning/explosion means more power. Higher octane fuels (we're not talking the difference between 87 and 91 here) make a big difference. Hardcore racers make their own fuels... ie: 125 octane.. Or alcohol or nitromethane...

Before you get too heavy into power, I would check out something called "brakes"... because I don't wanna scrape you off the street someday...

blinkme_210
10-23-2004, 11:25 PM
This kid can't even reach the pedals, discussion :closed:

finboy
10-24-2004, 01:48 AM
there is a quad turbo V8 camaro that was being campaigned on the drag circuit for a while...that thing kicked ass...

like I said...there are exceptions. and yeah...a 400hp STi is more than doable...same with the Evo's I've seen some 900hp examples...but we are talkin about for cheap cars here...an STi is 50k, that's not cheap...to make 400 hp probly another couple thousand is a low guess...so...let's be realistic...

corvette is more than 50k ;)

Go4Long
10-24-2004, 02:17 AM
by the time you make that sti 400hp you are sittin pretty close to 60k...go to CMP at the end of the year and you can pick up a brand new corvette for 61 ish...I'll take the plush interior and adjustable ride control...

Carfanman
10-24-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by mroseneder
Okay Mr. I-Wanna-Learn-What-Makes-Fast,

(Note to all others: watch this kid when he gets a car...)

Before you start asking stupid questions, I would learn about engines in general and how they work, not what makes more power.

Let me ask you another stupid question. Did you read my posts where I said I did read How Engines Work. So maybe you should stop making accusations if you don't know that they are true. And if you dont think that has enough info then maybe you could give me sites that do have info instead of just telling me "learn about engines"- big help if I'm new to cars and don't know all the good car sites that give me info.

You could have made your post alot shorter if you had read my post saying I have read about engines in general. then you wouldnt have needed to explain it again.
Thanks however, for the info at the end of your post. That's what Im asking for. I don't need to be flamed just because I dont know much about cars. Why do you think Im asking questions?

And while wer'e on the topic of making assumtions that you don't know anything about, blinkme_210, wtf y do you think that I can't reach the pedal?? That was just stupid because most 14 year olds can reach the pedal. Thats just obvious. And there are plenty of 14 year olds who might be taller then you (See I said "might" because I don't know how tall you are and I'm not going to assume that because you can be over 6' for all I know"). And even though I'm not very tall (although I am definitly tall enough to reach the pedals), YOU didn't know that until just now so you should just shut up when u dont know wtf you are talking about.

SkylineAdmirer
10-24-2004, 10:14 AM
by the time you make that sti 400hp you are sittin pretty close to 60k...go to CMP at the end of the year and you can pick up a brand new corvette for 61 ish...I'll take the plush interior and adjustable ride control...
Im not considered the most knowlegable person on this board(understatement of the year:rofl: ) but Go4long is very very rong

R u kidding me? u put 10 grand into an sti? and get 100 more hp?
The Sti runs 14.5 psi of boost stock, so i dont know much about impreza's, but here we go:

USD
HKS Piston Kit: 560
HKS Valve springs: 250 ish
HKS Cam Shafts: 335
HKS Iridium Spark Plugs: 20
HKS GT3037S Turbo: 2875
Boost controller(brand unspecified):300ish
TOTAL: 4,340.00 USD

CAD
HKS Piston Kit: 691.30
HKS Valve springs: 308.61 ish
HKS Cam Shafts: 413.54
HKS Iridium Spark Plugs: 24.69
HKS GT3037S Turbo: 3,549.04
Boost controller(brand unspecified): 370.34 ish
TOTAL: 5,357.51 CAD

Then of course theres the bitchy taxes, add what you want but its not gonna be 5000 dollars:rolleyes: bringing it up to 60k

Now after all of this correct me if im rong, u can make enuff boost to make over 400 hp? can you not?:rolleyes:

Then again fer 300 bux buy a boost controller fer 300, and jack up the boost a little bit with stock turbo and components, and you ve got a nice boost without alot of money invested.
Correct me if im rong on any of this(someone other than go4long)

THen of course, you can pick up cam gears for 400, start adjusting timing. Hell why not throw in a gigantic engine management system, adding tons of wonderful cash to your bill.

PS you can choose a different turbo/parts for cheaper, this was just scratched up in 10 minutes

mroseneder
10-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Not trying to flame you man. Trying to tell you that all go and no stop is bad. And it's easy to make GO out of anything with money. But if you don't have money, it might be easier to make go with bigger inches.

Cuz trust me, turbos are expensive... and so are superchargersw (4900 for a VW VR6 might give you 300 whp)

SkylineAdmirer
10-24-2004, 10:22 AM
flame me???, i wasnt talking about ur posts by the way u werent off in any way as far as i can tell.
Anyway, yea brakes are a great idea if your talking about my post, i was just talking about the guys all knowing camaro corvette owns wrx , 60k in wrx produces 400 hp. Anyone should improve handling and braking when upping speed, suspension strut tower bars, new rotors, bads and caliupers.

Carfanman
10-24-2004, 10:26 AM
mroseneder Can you link me to some sites that explain how to get speed with money and with bigger inches? Not neccesarily on the same site. I'll read the brake parts on howstuffworks.com. Are there any other sites I should look at to learn how to make my brakes better?

finboy
10-24-2004, 12:04 PM

sti's have quite the nice interior, but if we are talking about money, just get an '04 srt 4 and you should be able to crack 400 hp no problem ;)

SkylineAdmirer
10-24-2004, 12:17 PM
^^^ very true, but its a domestic.(dont wanna start an argument bout domestics n imports tho.

blinkme_210
10-24-2004, 04:51 PM

And while wer'e on the topic of making assumtions that you don't know anything about, blinkme_210, wtf y do you think that I can't reach the pedal?? That was just stupid because most 14 year olds can reach the pedal. Thats just obvious. And there are plenty of 14 year olds who might be taller then you (See I said "might" because I don't know how tall you are and I'm not going to assume that because you can be over 6' for all I know"). And even though I'm not very tall (although I am definitly tall enough to reach the pedals), YOU didn't know that until just now so you should just shut up when u dont know wtf you are talking about.

You obviously missed my point, it was meant to be a metaphoric meaning. In case you don't know what the meaning of methaphoric is, perhaps you should go and ask your teacher. Or would you like me to give you a list of dictionary sites so that you can search it up.

SkylineAdmirer
10-24-2004, 05:38 PM
^^:rofl: :rofl: that was funny

JCX
10-24-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Ben

I've seen and twin turbo I4's (stupid IMO), twin turbo V6's and I6's. Twin Turbo V8's and V12's. I've never seen a quad turbo V12 but I'm sure it's doable, 1 turbo per 3-4 cylinders works well

Bugatti has a car called the Veyron that is a quad turbo W16.

The Bugatti EB110 had quad turbos if I recall correctly.

cp1
10-25-2004, 12:41 AM
i think i can sum everything up for you easily...

You can do whatever you want to what ever car you want if you got any combination of 3 things: Money; Time; or Talent.

if you have all the money in the world you dont need time or talent... like wise if you have amazing talent in building cars... you wont need money tho it will still take time!

as for which engine is an better platform to build upon there is nothing out there that cant be outdone by some other setup...
inline 6's beating V12's the list goes on and on... some one will always be able one day to make a better different car...

First get the notion that some engines are better than others out of your head...

Then depending upon your project you will need to take a lot of things into account... no two projects are the same!

which is better turbo or supercharger or both you ask? neither any one of them can do what you want them to do... however in regards to this a supercharger requires energy taken from a running motor to spin whereas the natural pressure from your exhaust is what is used to turn a turbo.

there is so many different components of an engine that realistically comparing engines types other than on size is useless! theres cylinder head design to think about and intake type(carburation or fuel injection?) also what is the engine made out of (example; naturally aluminum is lighter than cast iron) and cooling issues, maximum rpm of a rotating mass, tuning, and transmission, traction... (how well your car will be able to stick to the road) also what are the goals of the car? to go fast in a straight line or be able to turn while going fast? these are all things that are considered when building race cars!

also there are rotary engines available and no one can say they are better or worse... simply they are different...

hondas use a flat 4 or v6 front engine, subaru used a flat 4 which is front mounted while porsches use a flat six which is rear mounted while most 12 cylinder (but not all!!!) cars are mounted mid-ship all of these things are done for a reason and at a compromise and if there was a "best" setup then all cars would have the same engine and setup! afterall company's spend billions of dollars in design and engineers to study these things... which unfortunatly means not a lot of us can say we know more!

For example take a dodge viper... fast car right? yes! but it uses a diesel pushrod (single Camshaft) V10 converted to run on gas which is the same technology that was being used as long ago as the late 1800's. why? Cost! the cost of developing and employing technology is very expensive... now what would that car be capable of if say they were to use the same engine but instead of a pushrod, having dual overhead cams? who knows? it would change the car very dramatically to say the least!

Bottem line: anyone can prove anything using whatever method or setup they choose but need always need those 3 things! (Money, Time, Talent!)

Carfanman
10-25-2004, 08:11 AM
Thanks, cp1. My question isnt whats better, it's more, what's good and bad about each thing. Also I don't have a specific car in mind, but I want to learn what can make a car faster and handle better and look better ect., in general. I found one site (http://www.askmen.com/toys/cars_60/81_car_review.html) that kind of does that, and I'm sure thats not all, so I'm looking for sites like that, that have other things. I'm not looking for one site that has it all but if anyone has a site that has some suggestions, that's what I'm looking for.

blinkme_210- Yeah I know what a metaphor is, but can u link me to some sites that explain wtf your metaphor was supposed to meen?

cp1
10-25-2004, 02:21 PM
Thanks, cp1. My question isnt whats better, it's more, what's good and bad about each thing. Also I don't have a specific car in mind, but I want to learn what can make a car faster and handle better and look better ect., in general. I found one site (http://www.askmen.com/toys/cars_60/81_car_review.html) that kind of does that, and I'm sure thats not all, so I'm looking for sites like that, that have other things. I'm not looking for one site that has it all but if anyone has a site that has some suggestions, that's what I'm looking for.

Generally speaking then your asking what methods are used to make more power in an engine right?

First of all you better have a specific project that you want to think about! heres an example of why you need one; i own an inline 6 with a turbo and somebody else owns an inline 4 without a turbo! now what i can do to get more power out of my car he cant necesarily do to his!

however for the sake of argument and vague answers to vague questions is... an engine needs a few things to run... Air + Gas + a way to combust them...(simply put!)

Generally speaking (in no detail) performance is gained by perfecting the way these component get into the cylinder, how thoroughly they're combusted and how easily they leave!

If you can improve the way some of these things do what they do you will get added performance! BUT; there is a cost for doing these things and no it is not money but engine wear, life and a proper balance between these things because if you go crazy things go wrong! they are all hand in hand!

P.S. the best information on cars in NOT on the internet but in a bookstore! The internet is full of opinions and a book will be your most reliable source!

rockym20
10-25-2004, 02:50 PM
The thing is that with enough money and a big enough engine bay, pretty much anything can be done. Can you quad turbocharge an I4? Sure, it will take up a huge amount of space, probably run like sh!t, and be not much better than a properly sized single turbo, but it can be done. Hell, you could even put 8 turbos on an I4 - have a small turbo off each cylinder to spool up quickly and then bypass to a big turbo for power in the high end of the RPM's. It would cost a fortune to do this (definitely in the tens, if not hundreds, of thousands for the engine work alone). And again, would probably be worse than putting in a big-bore V8 (as the turboed engine would probably take up more room than a 454 V8 or similar engine). And it would likely blow up the first time you drive it. So while you are at it, why don't you get someone to build you a ceramic engine block, as it could take substantially more heat and pressure than a iron or aluminum block (mind you, I've never heard of one being built for more than research purposes, but after all we are talking about what is possible here). In fact, screw the piston engine all together. for my next car I'm going to mount a jet engine from a F-16 in the back of hatchback and call it the Batmobile. Then I can make some REAL power.

SkylineAdmirer
10-25-2004, 03:02 PM

blinkme_210- Yeah I know what a metaphor is, but can u link me to some sites that explain wtf your metaphor was supposed to meen?

the ste is okay for generality, but he barely covers anything, but a car has endless possibilities. He says "superchargers are your best bet for power" which i dont think is exactly true. He never does mention turbos:dunno:

cp1
10-25-2004, 03:04 PM
that is just summing it up again! do whatever you want if money is no issue!

of course with all that turbo power you might as well do away with head bolts for fear of blowing it up and just weld the head right to the block then you can run more boost eh?

SkylineAdmirer
10-25-2004, 04:26 PM
^^hahahah sum1 shud try that and tell us how it works out , welding it that is!

Alpine Autowerks
10-25-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by cp1
of course with all that turbo power you might as well do away with head bolts for fear of blowing it up and just weld the head right to the block then you can run more boost eh?

it's been done...Porsche did on 935 race cars. they used an elctron beam welder in a vacuum chamber to weld the assembled head to the cylinder. they had to junk it all on rebuild cuz the valves could not be removed anymore

Jason Lange
10-30-2004, 12:03 PM
A flat engine is just a v engine at 180 degrees. Like this piston crank piston. A flat line with the crank in the middle and pistons on either side of it. Ahh its hard to explain but simple at the same time. Nevermind...