PDA

View Full Version : GM ball joint going at 150,000km's?

DJ Lazy
10-21-2004, 12:15 PM
Just been looking at some vehicles as I am buying soon, and I was talking to a friend of mine who has gone through a fair number of GM trucks and swears that the ball joints go at 150,000 km's.. can any of you guys verify this? any personal experience... ?

I am looking at a Blazer right now that has 153K on it, so I am a but worried now. I can't afford to replace b/j's one month after purchase...

QuasarCav
10-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Oh yeah, my ball joints went at 160k and again at 275K. Thats some grade A gm reliability for ya.

Try to find one with the BJ's replaced or one where you can go over them with a fine-tooth comb. I think they want about 200 a joint installed:eek:

legendboy
10-21-2004, 12:46 PM
I'd say your doing pretty good to get 150k out of them

DJ Lazy
10-21-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
Oh yeah, my ball joints went at 160k and again at 275K. Thats some grade A gm reliability for ya.

Try to find one with the BJ's replaced or one where you can go over them with a fine-tooth comb. I think they want about 200 a joint installed:eek:

Yea, i realize they aren't cheap.. and considering that I will be maxing the loan just to pay for the vehicle, I don't want to have to turn around and drop $600-800 on joints

Originally posted by legendboy
I'd say your doing pretty good to get 150k out of them

thats what I've been told. :(

sputnik
10-21-2004, 08:04 PM
$800 is INSANE to get your ball joints replaced on a GM.

I got the entire front end on my Cutlass rebuilt (ball joints, bushings, bearings and tie rod ends) for under a grand.

150k is really good for your first set of ball joints.

Weapon_R
10-21-2004, 11:16 PM
Is that the case for GM only? I don't think i've ever replaced my balljoints, and I have more than 150k...

YCB
10-21-2004, 11:44 PM
doesn't it all depend on how u drive ur trucks?? if ur goin off-roading every week... of course .. but normal driving?

freakin
10-22-2004, 12:18 PM
My dad's jimmy has had constant problems with balljoints. We took it back a few times under warranty because of a noise it was making when you hit a bump, but were told that it was fine. About 5,000KM out of warranty, he took it in for an oil change and was told that just about every joint on the front end needed to be replaced. We tried going back to GM and getting it paid for because the problem was there during the warranty period, but there were of no use.

That's offically the last GM anyone in my family will ever buy.

PS, McKay was the dealership that he always dealt with.

freakin
10-22-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by YCB
doesn't it all depend on how u drive ur trucks?? if ur goin off-roading every week... of course .. but normal driving?

Also, my dad's Jimmy was strictly a city driver. Went to work and back, weekend running around and the odd trip to Edmonton or Banff. Hardly what I'd call agressive driving. It's a 99, and we're talking about problems showing up with around 45-50,000KM's on it.

DJ Lazy
10-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Is that the case for GM only? I don't think i've ever replaced my balljoints, and I have more than 150k...

you shouldn't have anything to worry about, I had a 92 Integra couple years ago with 26XXXX kms and i never had any problems with the ball joints. I am pretty sure this is just a GM problem.

QuasarCav
10-22-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

you shouldn't have anything to worry about, I had a 92 Integra couple years ago with 26XXXX kms and i never had any problems with the ball joints. I am pretty sure this is just a GM problem.

Yeah, I'd put the blame on GM. I think my integra is on the stock balljoints after 300k.

I've owned 3 cavalier and two of them need balljoints frequently. Maybe it's a newer (mid 90's) thing because the 89 went 270k but the 92 and 94 were both crap.

method
10-22-2004, 06:24 PM
the heavy duty trucks have ball joints going out at like... 50,000.

dont be surprised. :rofl:

CalgarySS
10-23-2004, 04:11 PM
There are many variables.
Tires size.
Vehicle weight.
Driving style.

The ball joints in many GM products are simple enough to change in your drive way.
I have a 91 blazer with 360,000kms on its factory BJs.

Anyone here have to change their timing chains/belts on their imports before? :thumbsup: