PDA

View Full Version : Celica Discontinued

CryoCarnage
10-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Anyone know why the celica is being discontinued???

wildrice
10-21-2004, 08:53 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52158

heavyD
10-22-2004, 11:04 AM
The Celica is not being brought to North America because they have sold poorly. Toyota must have thought that supplying a fairly attractive hatchback with great handling, Toyota reliability with an economy engine was good enough to warrant a $30K+ pricetag. The target buyer for this type of car is usually looking for some performance for the dollar and for the money there are many cars much faster. Unfortunately many cars under the price of the Celica have similar or better performance like: SRT4, Sentra SER Spec V, Focus SVT (also discontinued), Lancer Ralliart, Civic SIR, etc. This from a company that used to manufacture some of the best sportcompacts ever (MR2 turbo, Supra Turbo, Celica Alltrac) is very disappointing.

How embarresing to pay 33K for a new Celica and have your ass handed to you by a guy in a rusty 12 year old dsm turbo.;)

QuasarCav
10-22-2004, 11:09 AM
I like how they look but toyota really missed the mark on the one.

sputnik
10-22-2004, 11:17 AM
Toyota should replace it with a rebranded Scion tC

QuasarCav
10-22-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

:werd:

I like the look of that car, are we going to see it up here?

Ferio_vti
10-22-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Hopefully they'll put in a better engine option if they do go that route.

C4S
10-22-2004, 12:20 PM
Sigh .. even Honda will discontinue the NSX and S2000 .. Prelude already gone ..

so .. RSX is the only Big Honda/Toyota left over .. ?? :cry:

JCX
10-22-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti

Hopefully they'll put in a better engine option if they do go that route.

They've got the Vortech Stupidcharger lined up, which should produce a decently peppy amount of HP. Selling for $17k USD, the TC would do wonderfully up here. Hell, I think I'd look twice!

awd
10-22-2004, 12:29 PM
Muahahah -- 4 door AWD Turbos will rule the world!

smin
10-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by awd
Muahahah -- 4 door AWD Turbos will rule the world!
and rightfully so!
/20 year old awd turbo 4 door :P

CryoCarnage
10-22-2004, 06:16 PM
heh w/e im happy with my toyota celica, paid 20000 for the gt-s used and i redid the engine, pumping out 345 hp now haha.

Akagi Redsuns
10-22-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by CryoCarnage
heh w/e im happy with my toyota celica, paid 20000 for the gt-s used and i redid the engine, pumping out 345 hp now haha.

What did you do? Swap out the 2ZZ-GE?

JordanLotoski
10-22-2004, 06:41 PM
toyota needs a whole new line up..there cars suck these days

Dj_FL!PSW!TCH
10-22-2004, 07:01 PM
those new celicas were junk anyway

Akagi Redsuns
10-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Dj_FL!PSW!TCH
those new celicas were junk anyway

Nah, they aren't as bad as people make them out to be. I drove a GT-S and they are quite fun cars. Great handling, has a bit of grunt and I love the interior. Now only if Toyota's transmission guys talked to the engine guys........it would be a great combo, but instead it seems the transmission gearing is not suited for this engine at all. Almost everytime you shift at redline is falls out of the high power cam?? Who is the idiot that picked these ratios? Looks like Lotus got it right with the Elise though.

Primer_Drift
10-22-2004, 07:45 PM
Mmmm Celica GT4 turbo (Gr. A ST205 version :drool: ).. now thats the way celicas should have continued to evolve! Not this watered down plastic piece junk they try to pawn of as a sports car. Close ratio six speed? yeah it needs it just to get through the gears without making the driver sleepy.. handling was pretty good I must admit

Scandalous
10-22-2004, 07:53 PM
The exterior design of the Celica was different, it was concept styled yet still very contemporary. Toyota has that habit of designin sweet cars that are way before its time. If you look at the designs of the last line of Supras or the MR2s, I believe there was no other car that can match the exterior design at that time.

thich
10-22-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
toyota needs a whole new line up..there cars suck these days

it's not only the line-up they need to overhaul, they need sum fresh blood in the marketing department :P

Redlyne_mr2
10-22-2004, 08:30 PM
Thats where Scion comes in to play. A new MR2 is supposed to come out under the Scion nameplate

blueripper6
10-23-2004, 01:19 AM
They need to think of different ideas/launch some new cars..

lol.. they need to follow fords footsteps :rofl:

saiyajin
10-23-2004, 01:26 AM
^ i think they should do something like mazda i think their whole overhaul is doing quite good for them

three.eighteen.
10-23-2004, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

Nah, they aren't as bad as people make them out to be. I drove a GT-S and they are quite fun cars. Great handling, has a bit of grunt and I love the interior. Now only if Toyota's transmission guys talked to the engine guys........it would be a great combo, but instead it seems the transmission gearing is not suited for this engine at all. Almost everytime you shift at redline is falls out of the high power cam?? Who is the idiot that picked these ratios? Looks like Lotus got it right with the Elise though.

lotus played with the ecus a bit to give enough redline to land the next gear on the big cam