PDA

View Full Version : Tiptronic

CryoCarnage
10-23-2004, 09:32 PM
I was wondering how much does the tiptronic installation for cars cost. Do you do it when you buy em or can you get em separately. Was wondering if they had a site too. Soo anyway plz post.

M_Power
10-23-2004, 10:51 PM
:confused: "tiptronic" isn't a company. its just a auto gearbox with a gay fake manual mode (in most cars)

Majestic12
10-24-2004, 12:45 AM
What is it about it that makes people hate it so much anyway?

Stratus_Power
10-24-2004, 01:09 AM
I think its because they dont really work haha... we have it in the RX330 and it sucks

Chester
10-24-2004, 01:11 AM
:werd: its gay. I used to use it in a 330i and it was teh gheyness

7thgenvic
10-24-2004, 01:41 AM
brrrutal, just a gay way of being like ya "my car has triptronic"

its brutal!

redec
10-24-2004, 10:54 AM
how does it 'not work'?...works fine here...definatly better than an auto tranny imho....

EK 2.0
10-24-2004, 10:56 AM
I remember the first few generations on the "Manumatics"...and they were a lil slow to respond, and somewhat crude...

But after driving a few cars with them...I love them...

But maybe only cause daily I deal with a 6 Puck...but they are GREAT...slap it into "D" for loafing around town...and into the "Manual" mode for blast through canyons and "S" curves...

badseed
10-24-2004, 10:56 AM
I'd rather have a straigth up auto than "tiptronic". Like they say all or nothing.

redec
10-24-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
slap it into "D" for loafing around town...and into the "Manual" mode for blast through canyons and "S" curves...

:werd:

Originally posted by badseed
I'd rather have a straigth up auto than "tiptronic". Like they say all or nothing.

dude....leave it in D and it is a straight up auto :P

Kamen
10-24-2004, 11:11 AM
Don't you guys notice the lag time on tiptronics though? With the exception of higher class cars like the SLK350, but generally I find the response time is too slow...

EK 2.0
10-24-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Kamen
Don't you guys notice the lag time on tiptronics though? With the exception of higher class cars like the SLK350, but generally I find the response time is too slow...

From the models I have driven...you learn the ECU's controls for it...and time your shifts accordingly...that usually solves the lag of the transmission...

redec
10-24-2004, 11:29 AM
yeah, the older ones had a bit of lag....new ones are quite good tho

Stratus_Power
10-24-2004, 11:30 AM
how do you time it??
the lag time is too long when i use it. downshifting is usually fine, instantaneous . but when shifting up, it usually lag as short as 1 sec to even 3 secs!!i can get up to 3k rpms in 1st, shift up once, and it doesnt actualyl shift until i was like 5krpms

but i tested drove an automatix RX-8 before and the ones on it work flawlessly, instant shifting. The one in a IS300 is not bad either.

GTS Jeff
10-24-2004, 12:23 PM
the problem with most tiptronics is that they dont revmatch the downshifts...which makes it useless for bombing thru corners

Sir Lancerlot
10-25-2004, 02:11 AM
I take my cousin's 03 eclipse around the block now and then, and i find that if you shift a little bit ahead of time you can normlly hit the shift point you aim for. It's kind of a useless feature. He leaves it in D most of the time.. he only uses the manual shifting when he wants to run his rpm up high to make his exhaust sound good. :confused:

Xtrema
10-25-2004, 11:14 AM
Low end tiptronic is the same as auto. As you flip thru gears in tiptronic mode, it's no different than you shift your automatic from 1->2->3->D.

Mid to high end tiptronic has slightly better management and shift time is cut down from older gens but still way slower than manual.

Then you have clutchless shifting which is real racing technology and more repsonsive and quicker than manual. Example of this would be BMW's SMG and Audi's double clutch system.

Anyhow, like everyone said, none of these can be aftermarket fitted. You either bought it with the car or you don't.

EK 2.0
10-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Low end tiptronic is the same as auto. As you flip thru gears in tiptronic mode, it's no different than you shift your automatic from 1->2->3->D.

Mid to high end tiptronic has slightly better management and shift time is cut down from older gens but still way slower than manual.

Then you have clutchless shifting which is real racing technology and more repsonsive and quicker than manual. Example of this would be BMW's SMG and Audi's double clutch system.

Anyhow, like everyone said, none of these can be aftermarket fitted. You either bought it with the car or you don't.

Not to burst your bubble...but for a few applications a Sequential Gearbox is available...I know they make one for the DSM's it does command a HUGE price tag...but it is available...and I know its available for other marques as well...

happydude
10-25-2004, 11:33 AM
I have tiptronic on my RSX and it doesn't take long to respond at all, pretty much instantaneous actually.

redec
10-25-2004, 11:54 AM

hah...no :P.....talk rage into giving you a ride in his SLK32....shifts are much faster than manual.

I know they make one for the DSM's it does command a HUGE price tag...but it is available
oooh....more info? :drool: :drool:

statick
10-25-2004, 12:40 PM
i test drove c230 with titronic, and never had any issues with it. responds right away.

Xtrema
10-25-2004, 03:55 PM
I know they make one for the DSM's it does command a HUGE price tag...but it is available...and I know its available for other marques as well...

Isn't that like a $50K install? For that price, I can almost pimp a M3 with SMG.

Xtrema
10-25-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by statick
i test drove c230 with titronic, and never had any issues with it. responds right away.

Yes, my girl's tits repsonse very well..... :drool:

sorry, just couldn't resist......

blinkme_210
10-25-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
The one in a IS300 is not bad either.

Agreed. However I didn't like the feel of pressing little buttons on the steering wheel to shift, just felt unnatural, because I don't place my hands at 9-3 when I drive. I would much rather prefer to use a fake manual stick shift.

statick
10-25-2004, 04:40 PM
^^:rofl: lol

EK 2.0
10-26-2004, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by redec
oooh....more info? :drool: :drool:

I will look up the info and get back to you...

Isn't that like a $50K install? For that price, I can almost pimp a M3 with SMG.

I dont think it was THAT high...but up there...

iceburns288
10-26-2004, 11:13 AM
BMW's DMG (what is it called again?) is supposed to be awesome, second to only the Challenge Stradale/612 Scaglietti's semi-auto system. The semi-auto in the S80 uses the regular stick on the console, you just move it to the side next to D to put in into the + - sequential mode. It works great, no lag that I can see.

Porsche's supposedly sucks, I dunno why anyone would want a 997S :drool: with a fricken auto. The buttons are lame, even compared to Clarkson's "flappy paddles" as he calls them.

BTW Xtrema you can't have a clutchless twin-clutch system.:rolleyes:

AllGoNoShow
10-26-2004, 04:36 PM
Ive looked at a sequential gearbox from a company in the UK and it was about 8,000 US just for the gearbox and you needed to buy a bunch of other stuff aswell, plus install, so it was a nice little pricetag.

MidnightDreamer
10-27-2004, 01:33 AM
dude, u'r sayin tiptronic doesn't electronically control the shifts
so that you don't damage your tranny? I heard that's it's pretty bad
to actually row through 1 >> 2 >> 3 >> D on a pure auto, maybe not so
much for up shifting, if you can match it with good throttle play, but
especially on downshifts...

Anyhow, like everyone said, none of these can be aftermarket fitted. You either bought it with the <A TITLE="Click for more information about car" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||cars|AA1VDw">car</A> or you don't.

Xtrema
10-27-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by MidnightDreamer
dude, u'r sayin tiptronic doesn't electronically control the shifts
so that you don't damage your tranny? I heard that's it's pretty bad
to actually row through 1 &gt;&gt; 2 &gt;&gt; 3 &gt;&gt; D on a pure auto, maybe not so
much for up shifting, if you can match it with good throttle play, but
especially on downshifts...

Ok, yes tiptronic is electronically controlled so people won't pull something stupid. But down to the basic, it's still an auto.

Originally posted by iceburns288
BTW Xtrema you can't have a clutchless twin-clutch system.

Ok, not clutch-less Mr. wordsmith, more of a direct shift system.

http://www.histomobile.com/histomob/tech/2/122.htm