PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Problem?

cougar22
10-24-2004, 07:59 AM
I bought my cougar in August I had to put an alternator into it 2 weeks ago. And my car is acting up in the same manor as before i got the alternator.Driving on the highway it started to lose power so i pulled over and revved it RPMs were slow but kicked up and run fine for another half hour got it home and it died thought battery so i went out 20 minutes later and it started no problem. Starting fine now gas gauge was low so i filled up but the senors didn't acknowlege the fill up got any ideas as to what's going on?

Stumped in Canada

ZMan2k2
10-24-2004, 08:44 AM
sounds like a fuel delivery problem. You may want to get the fuel pump checked, as well as the fuel filter. If it doesn't want to rev, then the filter might be clogged, and not letting the required pressure build up in the fuel rail. As for the sensor not working, might be a loose connection, maybe a ground, on the fuel sensor sending unit. Not sure if the connectors are where they are on alot of cars, but if you pull out the bottom of the back seat, you may see the access panel for the fuel pump. Otherwise, you'll probably have to drop the tank, which is a huge pain in the ass.

Does the ECU throw any codes? Do you have a "check engine" light on the dash? Get those checked first, maybe that will narrow down your search.