PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wanna teach how to drive a manual car ?

red2000
10-24-2004, 12:59 PM
My brother wanna learn how to drive a manual car...(he tried once....couple years ago....)
but in my family...everyone drives Auto...
Who wanna teach him ?? Must provide a manual car,too....
let's say.....$10/hour ?? or we can work something out..
I think he just need 3~4 hours
PM me with info.
(Name and car you have,,,,)
thanks~~~:thumbsup:

Chester
10-24-2004, 01:11 PM
10 dollars and hour for your brother to learn on the instructors car...

Skylinelover
10-24-2004, 01:18 PM
Just take him and go test drive a manual.

Stratus_Power
10-24-2004, 01:44 PM
just go to budget or something and rent a manual ca

ryder_23
10-24-2004, 01:49 PM
If you agree to cover whatever insurance cost is necessary to give him full covereage on my vehicle, plus pay me 50$ an hr, plus buy a new clutch for aftewrods, and get it installed. You have a deal :thumbsup: (note: if transmission goes, your also responsible for that)

or u can call ama, and get them to teach you threw their vehicles, or rent a car like stated. All of which will be cheaper

ZorroAMG
10-24-2004, 01:49 PM
Who the hell would let some strange kid wreck their clutch for 10$ an hour?

Go rent a manual car...

red2000
10-24-2004, 02:06 PM
Um....he is 20 years old...not a kid anymore.....hahahah

anyway.. maybe I just ask him to test drive some manual cars...hehehe ( I am too stupid...never think about this...)

thanks~~

jaysas_63
10-24-2004, 02:27 PM
hey guys back a few yrs ago when i wanted to learn i tried renting a manual...but there are none for rent in calgary i tried like everyplace....so i just went to this drivers ed place ...pretty expensive i think around 40 an hr or so...and the car was a peice of shit, no tack or nething...if i were u and i really wanted to learn i would buy a POS for like 300 buxs and just ride the shit out of it..its definatly worth the money...plus u could sell it later on too:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Skylinelover
10-24-2004, 02:31 PM
^
And I hope you tell the people you bag the shit out of the car.

BebeAphrodite
10-24-2004, 02:33 PM
I dont think car rental places have manual cars.
And as for test driving a manual car they're going to know you have no idea what you are doing and it's not the best idea to be playing out in traffic when you don't understand the concept of driving a standard.

You basically have to find someone willing to let you practice on their car.
I'd go to drivers ed because they have more patience and you'd feel like crap grinding the gears of someone's car and get especially nervous if the person is yelling.

The best of two choices: either go to drivers ed or else find a friend nice enough to let you learn... or wait until someone replies on this thread because I'm sure someone may be willing to let you drive their car for a fee since lotsa other ppl do it for free.

Good luck,
I'm still working on hills :D

EK 2.0
10-24-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by jaysas_63
*snip*...so i just went to this drivers ed place ...pretty expensive i think around 40 an hr or so...and the car was a peice of shit, no tack or nething...if i were u and i really wanted to learn i would buy a POS for like 300 buxs and just ride the shit out of it..its definatly worth the money...plus u could sell it later on too:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

what do you need a "TACK" for??

jaysas_63
10-24-2004, 02:37 PM
i'm tellin u man it'll be WAY cheaper to just buy a car for 3 or 4 hundred and learn to drive on it, those drivers ed places are a total rip ....really expensive and u don't really learn until u get in ur car and start drivin it, and then u end up fuckin up ur clutch and tranny....ur best off buyin a POS and just use that to learn.

jaysas_63
10-24-2004, 02:41 PM
btw way here is some for sale on canatrader ....hope this helps man

http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/result/affich.asp?rubno=4000&r=%27ALB%27%2C%27EDM%27%2C%27CAL%27&ste=&sid=&issr=1&yfr=0&yto=0&kfr=0&kto=0&pfr=1&pto=500&dm=1&dp=8&mk=&md=&kw=&or=0&oby=7&pg=1&vid=3138906 that one is 200

http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/result/affich.asp?rubno=4000&r=%27ALB%27%2C%27EDM%27%2C%27CAL%27&ste=&sid=&issr=1&yfr=0&yto=0&kfr=0&kto=0&pfr=1&pto=500&dm=1&dp=8&mk=&md=&kw=&or=0&oby=7&pg=2&vid=3161786

lol his description was ugly but it runs lol (350)

http://www.canadatrader.com/trader/result/affich.asp?rubno=4000&r=%27ALB%27%2C%27EDM%27%2C%27CAL%27&ste=&sid=&issr=1&yfr=0&yto=0&kfr=0&kto=0&pfr=1&pto=500&dm=1&dp=8&mk=&md=&kw=&or=0&oby=7&pg=3&vid=3161793

this one is 400

Chester
10-24-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
I dont think car rental places have manual cars.
And as for test driving a manual car they're going to know you have no idea what you are doing and it's not the best idea to be playing out in traffic when you don't understand the concept of driving a standard.

You basically have to find someone willing to let you practice on their car.
I'd go to drivers ed because they have more patience and you'd feel like crap grinding the gears of someone's car and get especially nervous if the person is yelling.

The best of two choices: either go to drivers ed or else find a friend nice enough to let you learn... or wait until someone replies on this thread because I'm sure someone may be willing to let you drive their car for a fee since lotsa other ppl do it for free.

Good luck,
I'm still working on hills :D

When I was 16 I went out to car dealerships with my dad to test drive cars so I could learn how to drive standard, and they would always let me and my dad go alone. We would just switch places.

jaysas_63
10-24-2004, 02:53 PM
wow i never new they let u test drive a car alone.....

t-im
10-24-2004, 02:57 PM

hahahahahaha
:rofl:

Barlow
10-24-2004, 02:58 PM
what the hell the only trick to manual is gas, always be giving it gas.....!!!!
!!!!!

sin
10-24-2004, 03:02 PM
thats probably not the way id describe standard if i had to sum it all up in one sentence, more like patience, just make sure your revs dont drop below 1500 and you should be fine.

3G
10-24-2004, 03:05 PM
go to michener on the 6th they have alot of POS's that go for like $50 bucks. Buy one, learn on it, then sell it!

BigShow
10-24-2004, 03:09 PM
Why not get some lessons through AMA? you get to use the instructors car.

jaysas_63
10-24-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by 3G
go to michener on the 6th they have alot of POS's that go for like $50 bucks. Buy one, learn on it, then sell it!
where is this ...50 buxs for a runnin car???

Originally posted by BigShow
Why not get some lessons through AMA? you get to use the instructors car.
cause AMA suxs man thats what i did BIG MISTAKE its such a rip off (around 40 an hr when i did it)..and i never really leraned untill i started driving my dads freinds...

it would be a lot cheaper to buy ur own and learn on it

3G
10-24-2004, 03:15 PM

It's an auction. It's only once a month. You can get a deal f you know what to look for!

BigShow
10-24-2004, 03:16 PM

cause AMA suxs man thats what i did BIG MISTAKE its such a rip off (around 40 an hr when i did it)..and i never really leraned untill i started driving my dads freinds...

it would be a lot cheaper to buy ur own and learn on it

They have qualified instructors, just spend afew hours with them in they're car till you understand the basics, it's seems more practical than going out and buying a piece of junk.

jaysas_63
10-24-2004, 03:19 PM
ya when u spend a few hrs u will be down like 150...and still only know the basics.....so when u start to drive the car u paid some serious money for...u will bag the shit out of it...so why not just buy a POS from the get-go for like 200 and learn how to drive 5spd like a pro:thumbsup:

Skyline_Addict
10-24-2004, 03:21 PM
learning to drive a standard isn't hard. all you need is some technical knowledge of dos and do nots and then apply them when you're driving. the only thing you'd need to be aware of is using the clutch properly and how to switch gears....all of which you should know prior to getting into the car. take it to an open parking lot and apply what you've learnt...there isn't much. learning all the technicalities aside, learning to drive a standard shouldn't take you more that 30 mins. the advantage of learning on your own is that you remember things better and hone your techniques much more efficiently when it is done yourself. a few things that noobies need to look out for are uphill rolling starts and slowing down and then speeding up again.

Aleks
10-24-2004, 03:24 PM
I don't get why you would pay someone to teach you. It takes like 10 hours and there's nothing new after that. It's simple just need some practice and that's it. I learned on a 86 Renault Le Car. :rofl:
got it for 100 bux. Buy a POS drive it for a few months and you're set.

ryder_23
10-24-2004, 03:25 PM
ya when u spend a few hrs u will be down like 150...and still only know the basics.....so when u start to drive the car u paid some serious money for...u will bag the shit out of it...so why not just buy a POS from the get-go for like 200 and learn how to drive 5spd like a pro:thumbsup:

you've said this about 100times already...we get the point, go buy a beater....

but your forgettin, insurance, registration, gas, trying to find one that will hold up. Or you can do what i did, jump in a standard car and drive, its not rocket science, you dont have to go buy a car just to learn on, and if your brother really wants to learn, i'm sure he can bugg some of his friends who have a standard. If not, who cares, he doesnt have to learn.

BigShow
10-24-2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23

you've said this about 100times already...we get the point, go buy a beater....

but your forgettin, insurance, registration, gas, trying to find one that will hold up. Or you can do what i did, jump in a standard car and drive, its not rocket science, you dont have to go buy a car just to learn on, and if your brother really wants to learn, i'm sure he can bugg some of his friends who have a standard. If not, who cares, he doesnt have to learn.

:werd:

Skyline_Addict
10-24-2004, 03:29 PM
yeah i think getting an instructor or paying someone is kinda useless.
learn yourself as I suggested, or get a buddy to help you out and then treat him to a beer after. saves both time and money. as ryder said, it's not rocket science. it just takes a little practice and a tiny bit of know how.

Skylinelover
10-24-2004, 03:30 PM

They will if it is used, not if it is new.

Skyline_Addict
10-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Skylinelover

or it depends on your luck. when i went to test drive at honda, the guy let me take a brand new SiR out on my own because he was "too busy".

BigShow
10-24-2004, 03:34 PM

Yeah but that idea is dishonest, I wouldn't want to end up buying a car that someone might have damaged trying to learn to drive standard.

BebeAphrodite
10-24-2004, 03:35 PM
Hmmm... I also don't think they'd let a 20 year old take off with a car on his own. I think Chester was able to go off alone because of his dad who was there with him. But how long can you even leave for? And also Chester had a dad who could teach him how to drive so this situation still wouldn't work.

Seriously I'd just either find a nice friend or else take lessons from a drivers ed class.

Skylinelover
10-24-2004, 03:41 PM
Hmmm... I also don't think they'd let a 20 year old take off with a car on his own.
Well when my dad went to go buy his car they went with him.

Skyline_Addict
10-24-2004, 03:42 PM
Hmmm... I also don't think they'd let a 20 year old take off with a car on his own. I think Chester was able to go off alone because of his dad who was there with him. But how long can you even leave for? And also Chester had a dad who could teach him how to drive so this situation still wouldn't work.

Seriously I'd just either find a nice friend or else take lessons from a drivers ed class.

well he let me go, i was surprised too but it's not like i was going to argue. I was with a friend, but he was younger than me. they usually tell you to come back in 15-20 mins. oh and I didn't LEARN how to drive standard by doing this, just saying that I managed to test drive a brand new car without the dealer coming along.

Stratus_Power
10-24-2004, 03:48 PM
we definitly have numerous experience with dealer letting us test drive the cars alone. Maybe thats because both my parents are there.
For new cars of cause
we went to test drive the murano (sp?!) and the guy just gave us the keys and tell us to "come back when you're done".... wasnt a busy day.. it was like.. Thurs afternoon haha.

Then we went to test drive a honda Accord, same thing happened, the guy just gave us the keys.

in fact the only one of that didnt allow us to test drive alone was Lexus with the RX330.

BumpinTalon
10-24-2004, 05:27 PM
learning to drive standard is easy. he will stall five or six times going forwards, it will take awhile to get a hang of going reverse without jumping, and he might miss six or seven shifts and put it into fifth a couple times.
it'll only take two or three hours and its not THAT bad for your car, if he isn't an idiot.

Kamen
10-24-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Chester

When I was 16 I went out to car dealerships with my dad to test drive cars so I could learn how to drive standard, and they would always let me and my dad go alone. We would just switch places.

That's cuz your dad was there and they don't expect people to mess around; but this was back in the day, dealers are more careful now.

Well when my dad went to go buy his car they went with him.
Depends on who you are, who you know, and what image you present (not saying anything bad about your dad), but nobody comes on test drives with my dad. Probably cuz when he pulls up in his sedan and he's with his wife, a 50 year old couple isn't likely to mess around.

I went on a few test drives in the past year and everytime someone came with me. I think they come with you if you test drive standard cars now, because when my friend went to test drive an auto Mini Cooper they just let him out for 45 mins...

I talked to a car salesman before and usually when you walk in they already judge you by what you came in and what you are wearing; which greatly affects their flexibility towards you.

Anyways, if your brother just wants to learn standard, go get YD lessons or something. If all he needs is 3 hours, its $50/hour and you got $150. Better than buying a POS and insurance.

FiveFreshFish
10-24-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
it'll only take two or three hours and its not THAT bad for your car, if he isn't an idiot.

:werd: If you're a good teacher and the student listens to what you say, a lesson puts very little wear on the clutch, transmission and brakes. The only thing that gets a bigger workout is the starter.

I taught many friends how to drive stick in my own car without a problem.

If you're in the north, the industrial park just north of Deerfoot mall is a great place to learn. It's dead on weekends and evenings, and there are no kids, parked cars or traffic to worry about.

red2000
10-24-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

:werd: If you're a good teacher and the student listens to what you say, a lesson puts very little wear on the clutch, transmission and brakes. The only thing that gets a bigger workout is the starter.

I taught many friends how to drive stick in my own car without a problem.

If you're in the north, the industrial park just north of Deerfoot mall is a great place to learn. It's dead on weekends and evenings, and there are no kids, parked cars or traffic to worry about.

so do you wanna teach him ??:D if so ..PM ME~

t-im
10-24-2004, 09:19 PM
I've taken out some cars by myself no problem...

I took this 330ci out by myself..and all he said was

"here's the keys, come back in about 30-45 mins.." and that was maybe..1.5yrs ago...

Most dealers are pretty nice about that to me..whenever I go testdrive cars (rarely) I never ask to go by myself but when I get in the car and they hand me the keys and don't get in i'm like..hmm..ok..haha

and about learning how to drive standard...im jus gonna say what other people posted....just ask a friend to teach him, etc etc

I learned on this shit ass old old Nissan HB or whatever...by then it probably needed a new clutch and muffler so it was good to learn on..and my friend let me learn on her sunfire...3hrs of driving it around the NW and I was good to go :)

crazydave
10-24-2004, 10:05 PM
i say buy a POS. and i dontthink you have to insure it if you take a plate off your car and sell it to your self for 1 dollar and then you have 14days or w/e to learn how to drive a standard. and he can always sell it over or have some realy fun in it:burnout: and use it as a winter beater. but i also agree with buying a manual car that you are gunna wanna keep. thats how i started out.

Dope Dealer
10-24-2004, 11:14 PM
It's not too hard. First car I had ever gotten into (no license, no learners) was a brand new RSX Type-S and I had no idea what I was doing.. Grinded the shit out of the gears and jerked alot haha.. but it was fun and learned basics in like 10 minutes.. needless to say he sold the car a few months later hahaha... dont you have any friends that drive stick and would be willing to teach your bro?

Moonracer
10-24-2004, 11:36 PM
:rofl: I love some of the responses! Buy a car to learn....NO. I'm an ex driving instructor and all you need to learn the basics and learn properly is 1 or two hours. You're not going to get a whole lot better with an extra hour or two with someone teaching you so just pay for 1 to 2 hours worth. Unless you can find the right person to help your bro out then go to a driving school and book a 2 hour lesson max. He will get better as he goes once he has his own car. As for wearing the clutch out, no worries if tought properly and not much wear at all. Our standard car hardly ever went into the shop for the clutch. After teaching about a hundred or more that is about the best bang for the buck idea. Anyway good luck. :thumbsup:

eclipseqt
10-24-2004, 11:40 PM
I don't know if its just me but I took my dads 350z the first time and learned in literally 5 minutes. Never grinded clutch or anything. Its really easy, if you know what to do then just go do it!

Moonracer
10-25-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by eclipseqt
I don't know if its just me but I took my dads 350z the first time and learned in literally 5 minutes. Never grinded clutch or anything. Its really easy, if you know what to do then just go do it!

ha well not everybody is a pro like you! Some people get it right away and some don't.

Dope Dealer
10-25-2004, 12:17 AM
Yeah its not too confusing. Where I used to work had manual maintanance golf carts called Toro's and we just bagged the shit out of those all day long while learning how to drive standard :D Get a job at a golf course :D

red2000
12-13-2004, 11:47 PM
:( still lokking for someone......
come on...the weather is so nice now...

ZorroAMG
12-13-2004, 11:54 PM
:rolleyes: Yeah I'm sure EVERYONE wants to let a strange little kid learn on THEIR car on ice and gravel. Go away, there aren't enough stupid people here.

red2000
12-14-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
:rolleyes: Yeah I'm sure EVERYONE wants to let a strange little kid learn on THEIR car on ice and gravel. Go away, there aren't enough stupid people here.

hey hey...take it easy.....
just wanna see if anyone with a beater car would like to teach,,,

easy man,,,:thumbsup:

Sorath
12-14-2004, 12:13 AM
when u get a manual car dont drive a car where their 1st and 3rd gear are so tightly close to togther.

DUBBED
12-14-2004, 12:22 AM
^^ ummmm... why would that matter? Most cars can't shift into first when it's moving.

jaysas_63
12-14-2004, 12:46 AM
hahahahh i guess u diddn't take my advice

red2000
12-14-2004, 09:27 AM
anyway...found someone....

:closed: :closed: :closed:

aquamarine
12-14-2004, 12:07 PM
As soon as the new Initial D game is released in Canada (it's been out in Japan for a while), take him and play it. It's got an actual clutch and stick. Your chair shakes if you screw things up when shifting as well.

Speed_69
12-14-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by aquamarine
As soon as the new Initial D game is released in Canada (it's been out in Japan for a while), take him and play it. It's got an actual clutch and stick. Your chair shakes if you screw things up when shifting as well.
Whoa that sounds sweet! when's it coming to canada?

anyways yea i would suggest just going to take lessons..that's what i did and imo it really helps to learn the basics..2 hrs for 90 bucks.

digitalshogun
12-14-2004, 01:05 PM
Wouldn't your synchros take much more of a beating than the clutch? I mean the first rule of shift club is that you don't ride the clutch, second rule of shift club is that you don't ride the clutch.

As for learning to drive standard, only pay for lessons if you don't know how to drive period. If you have an understanding of how to drive, buy whatever you want. The 2 days MAX it should take you to figure out how to do it won't mess up your car. Have somebody that knows how to drive standard help you out if you must. If it takes you much longer than that maybe you were never cut out for standard.

On a side note ... does anyone else think that driving a standard makes you pay more attention to; a.) your driving and b.) your surroundings and driving conditions?

maxout
12-14-2004, 01:10 PM
i'll teach him 10 an hour done

pm me

maxout
12-14-2004, 01:15 PM
i have a 2001 honda civc standard if you wanna learn just me me

bspot
12-14-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by digitalshogun
On a side note ... does anyone else think that driving a standard makes you pay more attention to; a.) your driving and b.) your surroundings and driving conditions?

At first, I would say deffinately. Now its pretty much mindless for me, I don't really think about it.

Although I will say I have a better idea of how fast I'm going compared to when I'm driving an auto. Sometimes if I'm not paying attention I suprise myself at how fast i'm going, doesn't happen with the stick. Also when it is icy I notice faster.

forkdork
12-14-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by digitalshogun

:werd: :werd:

ricosuave
12-20-2004, 03:35 PM
do what i did, buy a manual transmission car as your first car and learn on it.

my first day i spent 45 min at a set of lights because i kept stalling it out at the line. LOL people behind me were pretty pissed!

rico

w0o
12-20-2004, 09:01 PM
anyone know where i can rent manual transmission car for a day (in edmonton)? a quick look at the major car rental company websites (budget, thrifty, national, etc), i could not see any manual vehicles for rent...

EnRich
12-20-2004, 09:09 PM
I'll teach your bro... 15/hour pm me if interested. It'll only take me a couple hours to teach him... Time starts from the moment he steps into my car, and includes time that it takes me to drive in the actual car I teach him in... Which is a 15 min drive...

I've tought
2 ex's
1 younger bro
1 mom

:thumbsup:

HTN SWCHS
12-20-2004, 09:45 PM
we taught some girl in a customers 350z

JFreddy
12-21-2004, 02:31 AM
:

RWD