PDA

View Full Version : J&S Safeguard

buh_buh
11-26-2002, 01:04 AM
Any personal experiences with it? Heard of any experiences with it?

Sykes
11-26-2002, 01:38 AM
I've only heard. Supposed to work quite well. SCC was using it both on their Project 2.5 RS and RX-7 and wondered why it wasn't more popular.

That's based on what I've read though....

buh_buh
11-26-2002, 01:55 AM
is it like a standalone type deal?

Redlyne_mr2
11-26-2002, 01:57 AM
J&S safeguard I feel is a must have for anyone running higher boost applications. Its definitely worth it to shell out 600 bucks for some piece of mind and security rather than 3000 bucks for a new engine
http://www.mr2beast.com/images/SafeguardMeter.jpg

Redlyne_mr2
11-26-2002, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
is it like a standalone type deal?
if youre refering to a stand alone fuel management system then no it is not. The J&S safeguard basically uses one knock sensor and detects the possibility if detonation then retards the timing but only one cylinder at a time. whats nice is that the system is always trying to readvance to stock timing to your timing isnt being retarded when it doesnt have to be.

legendboy
11-26-2002, 09:26 AM
Ya, I've talked to John, the owner of J&S, a couple times. I'm still waiting for the "value unit" to come in. (a broken one that only works on hondas) There are pretty good unit, with a pretty neat design, like redlyne pointed our above. BUT. You can get a brand new hondata for a fraction more than the J&S. But because your such a high roller I'd get one just to have that little thing that lights up for your dash :rofl:

buh_buh
11-26-2002, 12:07 PM
so there's no need for one if you have hondata? I can make my own blinking lights too u bastard!:thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
11-26-2002, 12:11 PM
so there's no need for one if you have hondata? I can make my own blinking lights too u bastard!:thumbsup:
I dont know anything about hondata but who says you can never have to many electronics...I love having 200000 little lights everywhere, I love that JDM night time in Tokyo look:thumbsup:

buh_buh
11-26-2002, 08:08 PM
hondata's a stand alone.
so is it still something good to have even if i have hondata? or no need for it?

three.eighteen.
11-26-2002, 08:16 PM
i dont think hondata is technically a standalone, its just a piggy back that exerts alot of control over the factory ecu im pretty sure?

B18C
11-26-2002, 08:18 PM
Well, even with Hondata, the J&S may still be a good unit to have. Depending on whether the ECU you have has a knock sensor (I know mine doesn't). If you have Hondata and don't have a knock sensor, it may be a worthwhile investment. Basically, all you need is the v1 though. You don't really need the boost retard or anything else the Ultra Safeguard has because your hondata can take care of it. Basically, it's a tuning tool if you have a Hondata, plus it will let you know if/when you are detonating on the fly.

Also, it's a pretty good bang-for-your-buck because it is often cheaper to get a J&S v1 than an ecu with a knock sensor.

That said, if you have pretty conservative tuning with something as accurate/reliable as a Hondata I wouldn't worry about it unless you are REALLY paranoid or have money to burn. I don't have one and I'm fine with it.

choweyt3t4
11-27-2002, 08:33 PM
i think i had this discussion with you on 403honda about hondata vs aem unit. i'm pretty sure hondata cant retard your timing if it hears knock(correct me if im wrong please)but it can retard timing according to boost which is a plus. now get ready for the awwwwwww! aem has just released its new version of software with automapping.all you have to do is get a wide band o2 sensor wire it up to the aem ecu set your target a/f ratio and let the ecu take care of the rest.and as a plus any upgrades in software is completely free just download from it from their web site.and seeing how much of a highroller you are why didnt you get the aem?????i gave rage2 a copy of the old version inthe summer you should check it out.anyways next time i see you we can have the great debate about hondata vs aem,and yes i will never give up trying to brain wash you until you get the aem

legendboy
11-27-2002, 11:32 PM
Ya what chowey said :D the new EMS owns hondata. Thats what I want. Theres a huge post on honda-tech about auto mapping. its super pimp.

B18C
11-28-2002, 12:54 AM
No, Hondata can't retard timing when it hears knock. What I was saying is that you would only really need to listen to knock during the tuning process if you tuned conservatively (thus allowing a good margin for error).

Originally posted by choweyt3t4
i think i had this discussion with you on 403honda about hondata vs aem unit. i'm pretty sure hondata cant retard your timing if it hears knock(correct me if im wrong please)but it can retard timing according to boost which is a plus. now get ready for the awwwwwww! aem has just released its new version of software with automapping.all you have to do is get a wide band o2 sensor wire it up to the aem ecu set your target a/f ratio and let the ecu take care of the rest.and as a plus any upgrades in software is completely free just download from it from their web site.and seeing how much of a highroller you are why didnt you get the aem?????i gave rage2 a copy of the old version inthe summer you should check it out.anyways next time i see you we can have the great debate about hondata vs aem,and yes i will never give up trying to brain wash you until you get the aem

Hahahahaha.....the great debate....

Actually, I'm quite impressed with what AEM has done with it's EMS unit. I haven't been keeping up with all the news but most of the stuff I have been reading has been positive.

About automapping though, Hondata has a similar feature. If you plug a wideband sensor into it you can just type in your target a/f number and it will automatically adjust your fuel curves accordingly (within 5% or something). Then you just have to do minor adjustments. The catch is the buying the wideband. I was totally going to do this but couldnt' find a wideband for under $800! Actually, the sensor isn't so bad it was the frickin adaptor harness thingy (ECU integration kit???).

buh_buh
11-28-2002, 01:30 AM
damn, well when I was deciding on my hondata the AEM unit just came out, and nobody had tested it out or anything, and it was basically in its "testing phase" you know? That's why I went with Hondata. But even from the beginning I knew the AEM had more potential than Hondata, but another problem was that nobody really knew how to tune the AEM. Maybe I'll "upgrade" next year. :)

Hey Archie, u wanna go halfers on a wideband?:D

B18C
11-28-2002, 01:36 AM

Hey Archie, u wanna go halfers on a wideband?:D

No man. I have no money. I'm not a high roller like you boys. :(

legendboy
11-28-2002, 09:39 AM
I have the kit but I never put it together yet. I need a better sodiering iorn. The Prebuilt kit is proly the way to go cause they require a lot of testing and adjusting to get working. I may just buy one over the winter. I also have the hookup on the wideband O2 sensor for a couple hundred. Its the same sensor that motec
uses.

http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/default.htm

buh_buh
11-28-2002, 09:53 AM
whoa a DIY wideband? weird.

2000impreza
11-28-2002, 11:36 AM
i was looking at the wide band sensor/unit by FJO. www.fjoinc.com but cost lots of $$$. these guys are located in canada too.