PDA

View Full Version : World Rally Championship 2 Extreme

Mikko
11-26-2002, 02:34 PM
The official page
www.wrc2extreme.com

A review
http://www.contactmusic.com/new/home.nsf/webpages/wrc2extremex21x11x02

Yuuuuum. I pre-ordered it the other day. It should arrive any day in my mailbox now.

Superesc
11-26-2002, 08:43 PM
Sweet!! I wonder which one is better, this, colin mcrae's ralley, Ralley Fusion, Rallysport challenge?

RickDaTuner
11-26-2002, 09:07 PM
yup i guess its time to finally go out and buy a PS2 keep the Japanese governt running, pay the fat cats there over paid saleries

Superesc
11-26-2002, 09:08 PM
hehe I am going to head to EB on friday... pay day... time to pick up some games for my Xbox... and maybe a wheel... I want to try it with Sega GT 2002

:D

Dope Dealer
11-27-2002, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Superesc
hehe I am going to head to EB on friday... pay day... time to pick up some games for my Xbox... and maybe a wheel... I want to try it with Sega GT 2002

:D

So you bought one, eh? Good deal.

I just got Splinter Cell last week, pretty good game if you are into games like Metal Gear Solid.

BTW, Colin McRae 3 is going to blow the socks off this game, Codemasters has always outdone any rally game for any system. RalliSport Challenge was a very good game though, and I haven't heard much about WRC 2, although number 1 was the best Rally game on the PS2 (So far).

Mikko
11-27-2002, 12:42 AM
Colin McRae Rally 2 - Older game, sucky graphics, great realistic geared physics (all the real life driving tricks work more or less), great multiplayer.

Colin McRae Rally 3 - Been out for 1½ month over here. A big step back from CMR2. A lot prettier graphics, but no longer any multiplayer options and practically only one car to drive, the Ford Focus WRC. In this game, you need to 'unlock' things such as tarmac wheels, etc. Many horrible blunders including a bug that doesn't allow scores over 256 to be recorded. Physics were made more arcadish. GREAT Pace notes (by the real Nicky Grist - Colins ex co-driver). Even force feedback officially supported steering wheels are messed up - shifting with the buttons in front instead of the paddles. Can no longer repair the car manually in service area.

WRC 2001 (came out a year ago on PS2 only) - Great graphics, no multiplayer support, great sound, great atmosphere, but HORRRRRRRIBLE physics. So overly simplified that one wants to cry.

WRC [200]2 Extreme - By far the most options of any rally game to date, by far the most and longest stages, by far the best graphics overall, and most likely the best sound (WRC 2001 had excellent sound). Has the WRC license and authenticity for those who care about that. Great multiplayer support. Handling is reported to be similar to CMR2 (realistic geared). Loads and loads of options, even what type of pacenote system one wants to use. Robert Reid (Richard Burns [Peugeot 206 WRC] co-driver) reads pace notes. Can set things such as roll bars, ride height, dampers, camber on wheels. Time penalties for staying in service area past the designated time.

RalliSport Challenge - Utterly extreme overly simplified arcade racer. Real driving techniques do not work at all due to the magical simplified physics. A lot of cars and types of racing, though the tracks are overly wide and dull. Good graphics, poor sound.

Rally Fusion - Supposedly a lot like Rallisport Challenge.

V-Rally 3 - Somewhat like CMR3, but with a far more interesting career mode where one gets contracts with manufacturer teams, test drives, etc etc. Somewhat limited with options, bad sound, framerate issues, physics issues.

Rally Trophy- THE rally simulator when it comes to vehicle physics. Everything works, the manual is stuffed with real driving techniques that all work. Older cars only (60's and 70's). Great graphics, good sound. Poor damage modeling/physics. Good multiplayer support. Scary as hell going fast as cars, especially these old ones without any spoilers and such, feel incredibly unstable at speed.

Superesc
11-27-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer

So you bought one, eh? Good deal.

I just got Splinter Cell last week, pretty good game if you are into games like Metal Gear Solid.

BTW, Colin McRae 3 is going to blow the socks off this game, Codemasters has always outdone any rally game for any system. RalliSport Challenge was a very good game though, and I haven't heard much about WRC 2, although number 1 was the best Rally game on the PS2 (So far).

Yea I got my last week, thanks to AIRMILES, got it "free" hehehe. but yea I love TOM CLANCY's games, so Splinter cell and Ghost recon is a must for me, and most likely Rallysport challenge, it will be a while before CM3 is going to be out I think (spring next year?).

Dope Dealer
11-27-2002, 01:30 AM

Yea I got my last week, thanks to AIRMILES, got it "free" hehehe. but yea I love TOM CLANCY's games, so Splinter cell and Ghost recon is a must for me, and most likely Rallysport challenge, it will be a while before CM3 is going to be out I think (spring next year?).

Splinter Cell is a must! GOTY for the Xbox IMO. It's sort of Linear, but it's damn good!

You should also pick up Xbox Live to play Ghost Recon on.

Mikko, I forgot you are in the UK. I heard CMR 3 is supposed to be really good on Xbox (I've seen beta's and what not).

Mikko
11-27-2002, 01:45 AM
I'm in Sweden, not UK :rolleyes:

Xbox owners are pissed off because the game looks not a bit better than the PS2 version. And the game itself isn't better in the slightest.

Gamers everywhere are returning the game to the stores they got them, and I remember one guy saying that the clerk said "How come so many return this game?".

Dope Dealer
11-27-2002, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Mikko
I'm in Sweden, not UK :rolleyes:

:werd:

Hehe, That's too bad about CMR 3. I heard it was supposed to be the best racing game ever. Oh well.

Mikko
11-27-2002, 03:10 AM
gjzgj

Mikko
11-27-2002, 03:13 AM
xzvnbsf

Dope Dealer
11-27-2002, 09:58 AM
Wow, that does look pretty good to be on a PS2. Too bad it won't be multi-platform! :) I love how the tire blew out on the Peugeot.

Is your sig a render from WRC?

Superesc
11-27-2002, 10:00 AM
now I just hope the N.America version (CMR3) is better then the UK version :dunno:

Dope Dealer
11-27-2002, 10:03 AM
now I just hope the N.America version (CMR3) is better then the UK version :dunno:

Possibly. I think it's being released in March here, not positive, just guessing. If so, they may have added some goodies for NA fans. The only thing that makes CMR a bad series is Colin McRae drives the Focus, so most likely, the Focus will be the best car in the game.

Have you played RalliSport yet Superesc? The graphics are amazing! I usually drive the Skyline (Speed) or the Focus (Handling) in that game.

Superesc
11-27-2002, 10:05 AM
Sweet no I am waitin for Friday to head to EB or Futureshop :D

Superesc
11-27-2002, 10:05 AM
btw, have you have any experience with wheels??? any good recomendation? or are they just waste of money??

Dope Dealer
11-27-2002, 10:09 AM
btw, have you have any experience with wheels??? any good recomendation? or are they just waste of money??

Nope, haven't bought a wheel. I own 3 racing games for the Xbox though (RalliSport Challenge, Project Gotham Racing and Sega GT 2002).

I have a MS Sidewinder for the PC, but I don't know any good wheels for the Xbox. I think there is only one anways.

ACT-LABS Force RS has the best wheel, but I am not sure if they have Xbox supported yet (It's a Multi-platform wheel. You buy cartridges that will make it work with a PSOne, PS2, N64, PC etc.)

They only could get one game supported for the PS2 though, so not sure if Xbox will have any better support. Check out the site at http://www.act-labs.com.

Mikko
11-27-2002, 10:32 AM
Nah, my signature picture is just a photo from a super special stage.

I got WRC 2 Extreme today. The driving physics feels.. rather arcadish, and it's not very realistic for sure. I'm extremely dissapointed. EVERY Friggin rally game does this except Rally Trophy. I'm wondering what to do with this bloody game. EVERYTHING else about it is so awesome, just the god damned physics. :banghead:

I highly recommends force feedback steering wheels. Can't left-foot brake, threshold brake, etc without them :) Much more fun overall.