PDA

View Full Version : SRT-10 Quad Cab

benyl
10-27-2004, 05:09 PM
http://autoweek.com/files/weekart/2004/1018/ramsrt10_sideview.jpg

Fast cars—and trucks, SUVs, golf carts, whatever—get two thumbs-up around here, so when an outfit like Chrysler’s SRT performance tuning firm works its magic, it gets attention.

One favorite SRT creation is Dodge’s pickup screamer, the Viper-powered Ram SRT-10 standard cab, which recently snatched the title of world’s fastest truck away from Ford’s SVT Lightning.

So why should SRT create this Quad Cab monster?

"We wanted to give Viper owners a way to tow their vehicles to the track and then be able to take the truck out for a few laps as well," said SRT director Dan Knott. Yeah, right. Would it also have something to do with a burgeoning sport truck market?

Or how about: Because you can never have enough vehicles with an 8.3-liter 500-hp V10 in the engine bay? Whatever the reasons, thanks much, Dan.

The SRT-10 Quad Cab was developed to fill the void created by the standard-cab Ram SRT’s main pure truck shortcoming—its lack of towing capacity. The Quad Cab is a mite kinder and gentler than its racier sibling.

Besides the obvious cab difference between the two SRTs, the biggest change for the Quad Cab mechanically is the mating of a four-speed automatic transmission to the Viper block.

Dodge engineers say getting the transmission (adapted from Ram diesel applications) to work right was the trickiest part of building the truck. It had to handle the beastly 525 lb-ft of maximum torque and be able to tow 7500 pounds. In went a beefed-up torque converter and a two-piece driveshaft. Engineers included a custom tranny calibration, and gave its live rear axle a 4.56 ratio. The goal: improve launch feel, low-end acceleration and tow capacity. From behind the wheel, you’ll think it is transmission accomplished.

As Knott said, this SRT—like all SRTs—is also prepared for track duty. At the drag strip, Dodge officials boast, the Quad Cab will do mid-five-second 0-to-60-mph runs, and sprints the quarter-mile in the high-13s.

While it is heftier (5450 pounds) and has a longer wheelbase (140.5 inches) than its standard-cab compatriot, the Quad Cab shares the same ride height and much the same performance-tuned underpinnings, including independent front suspension and stabilizer bar, beefed-up springs and Bilstein monotube shocks all around.

The verdict after roaring around an autocross track on a gray, rainy day at Chrysler’s proving grounds is that this behemoth acquits itself surprisingly well. When we needed to slow down before things got too wild, SRT’s new 15-inch front, 14-inch rear, four-pot, opposed-piston caliper-disc setup with ABS (also available on the ’05 standard cab) stopped it with authority.

With the exception of the predictable bed hippity-hop over rough pavement, the Quad Cab as a daily commuter is fine. Its hood scoop, NASCAR Craftsman Truck-inspired and engineered, wind tunnel-tested rear wing and 22-inch rims shod with 305/40YR Pirelli Scorpion Zeros definitely crank the ooh-and-aah meter.

The cabin has comfortable seating for four, with nicely bolstered, SRT-accented seating. Options include DVD navigation and Uconnect—a Bluetooth-enabled, hands-free communications system. A tonneau cover/wing combo (available next March) features gas struts to help raise and lower it for easier access to the bed.

Yes, the Viper owners of the world would have survived without the SRT-10 Quad Cab. But we say, the more snakes, the better.

2005 DODGE RAM SRT-10 QUAD CAB
ON SALE:Now
BASE PRICE: $50,850
POWERTRAIN: 8.3-liter, 500-hp, 525-lb-ft V10; rwd, four-speed automatic
CURB WEIGHT: 5450 pounds
0 TO 60 MPH: 5.5 seconds (est.)

autoweek

EK 2.0
10-27-2004, 05:11 PM
wow...now you can have 5 friends tag along when you go out to roast STI's...;)

I love the concept of the 4-door UBER-Truck...:burnout:

benyl
10-27-2004, 05:14 PM
If it came as/with 4WD and had 50 more hp for the added weight, I would trade in the STi... hahhaha

pixil9
10-27-2004, 05:25 PM
power and such is nice but it's still an ugly truck ;/ :thumbsdow

waveventureboy
10-27-2004, 07:23 PM
i'd rather have the rumble bee

90_Shelby
10-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by waveventureboy
i'd rather have the rumble bee

You do realize that a rumble bee is a normal Hemi truck with stickers............ " cough" ricer "cough"

M_Power
10-27-2004, 07:31 PM
"We wanted to give Viper owners a way to tow their vehicles to the track and then be able to take the truck out for a few laps as well,"
lol u no u got too much money when..

DRTHVDR
10-27-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby

You do realize that a rumble bee is a normal Hemi truck with stickers............ " cough" ricer "cough"

Fuel economy....it's all about fuel economy :nut:

iceburns288
10-28-2004, 08:37 PM
I was configuring one on Dodge's website (boredom pwns me) when something about the Quad-Cab really turned me off. A major feature is unavailable for it, can't remember which though.

Team_Mclaren
10-28-2004, 09:36 PM
thast :nut: , what would that think of next

SRT-10 Caravan!!! fastest soccer mom on the road!!!:burnout:

1badPT
10-28-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288
I was configuring one on Dodge's website (boredom pwns me) when something about the Quad-Cab really turned me off. A major feature is unavailable for it, can't remember which though.

Its auto only for the quad cab. The regular Ram SRT-10 is a 6 speed manual.

LamE
10-30-2004, 01:24 AM
What a great time to buy a viper powered fucking 8.3 liter engine when gas is $3 per gallon, yay.

I never liked the dodge pickup trucks..... :dunno:

EK 2.0
10-30-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by benyl
If it came as/with 4WD and had 50 more hp for the added weight, I would trade in the STi... hahhaha

buy the SRT 10 and drop the STi into the back of it when you take it to the track...avoid needless KMS on your Sooby...:D

finboy
10-30-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
thast :nut: , what would that think of next

SRT-10 Caravan!!! fastest soccer mom on the road!!!:burnout:

i say bring back the turbo caravan's :D

they did well in 89/90, so why not bring them back again :rofl:

canadiandaytona
10-30-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

buy the SRT 10 and drop the STi into the back of it when you take it to the track...avoid needless KMS on your Sooby...:D

Or use it to bring your honda to the track and then tow the honda with it..Probably be the fastest run you'll get :burnout:

hehe just playin

RSX.04
11-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by canadiandaytona

Or use it to bring your honda to the track and then tow the honda with it..Probably be the fastest run you'll get :burnout:

hehe just playin

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: