PDA

View Full Version : Airplane mainteniance technician (SAIT)

LudeRoca
10-28-2004, 09:28 PM
Hey I would like to hear your guys opinions on this course at sait. So far i've only heard good things about it. I wanna know the pros and cons before i decide to take it. thanks in advance.

Canadian 2.5RS
10-28-2004, 09:32 PM
I cant tell you any cons but I have a friend that just completed the program with a 4.0 average. He liked it.:dunno:

BlackArcher101
10-28-2004, 11:02 PM
I came out of the aero program this april. Wasn't in maintenance, but I was around them at all times, had the same teachers too.

With the new aircraft and hangar donated to them, it's one of the top in NA and the top in Canada. Great teachers too, very friendly and knowledgable, with lot's of connections (all from the industry). Most importantly, if you are good to them, they will go out of their way to help you.

I give it :thumbsup:

SwitchBlade
11-04-2004, 11:08 PM
I think one of my good friends on the board (BBmac) is taking that course. He was enjoying the course when i talked to him last. Hopefully,he will see this thread and respond with a little more insight.

Have you talked to any of the program coordinators? Sometimes they can have you in as a student for the day.

Focus
11-05-2004, 10:25 AM
As far as I know it is a very good program. Westjet just donated a Boeing 737 200 to work on and do stuff too. I would like to see inside the facility sometime just to see what it is like.

BBMac
11-08-2004, 06:55 PM
I am currently enrolled in the program now. I think it's an awesome program so far. So far the teachers have been good, there are no assholes to speak of yet. I would say go for it if it interests you. I am doing it as an alternative to automotive maintenance as well as I have a huge interest in helicopters. pm me if you want some more info on it.

As for the aircraft we have to work on there are lots. unfortunately we don't get to pull apart the 737 at all yet. students in a few years may be able to but not for some time. we use it for demonstrations and such.

LancerShelby
11-08-2004, 08:53 PM
The only warning I give is that the money is not huge. You won't make 6 figures doing maintenance. You make between $12 and $30/hr depending on the company and your experience. Doing it because you like the field is what you should do it for. I currently work on helicopters at Eagle Copters here in town, and I'll never go back to fixed wing. Your options in helicopters is either at Eagle, or out in the field babysitting a machine that's working(lifting loads, doing oil field work, heli skiing, fighting fires) 80% of helicopter companies will send you out there after they're are happy with you during a specified probation period.

LudeRoca
11-08-2004, 10:08 PM
do you just work on helicopters, or do you work on airplanes as well. I don't wanna be sent out to some remote location. Id rather work in calgary or bc on commerial airliners. can you do that after doing this program. Or are you just limited to workin on helicopters?

marq-jt
11-08-2004, 10:23 PM
I wanted to sign up for this program but i wasnt sure or saw it in the program...hmmm if anyone know where i can sign up or whatever let me know... or when the next courses are..

LancerShelby
11-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by LudeRoca
do you just work on helicopters, or do you work on airplanes as well. I don't wanna be sent out to some remote location. Id rather work in calgary or bc on commerial airliners. can you do that after doing this program. Or are you just limited to workin on helicopters? I just work on helicopters but I can work on fixed wing too. After you're done school, hell even before, you can work on anything, it's just up to the company if they'll let you/need you. So right now during school, you can be working, I was half way through my first year. It's up to you where you want to work.

LancerShelby
11-09-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by marq-jt
I wanted to sign up for this program but i wasnt sure or saw it in the program...hmmm if anyone know where i can sign up or whatever let me know... or when the next courses are.. Go to SAIT and research the course...AMET(aircraft maintenance engineers technology) SAIT isn't the only course location, here's more...look at the course title for maintenance courses http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/maintenance/aarpb/ato/basic.htm#U