PDA

View Full Version : b16 swap question.

ecstasy_civic
11-27-2002, 12:34 AM
im really close to buying a b16 and had a few questions.

1. do i have to replace all front end pieces, ie: half shafts, cv joints etc.

2. im obviously going to need a new tranny, the one im looking AT is from a 99 type r, am i going to notice a big difference between a ITR tranny and a regular tranny?

3. is there really going to be a huge gain in performance? gas mileage? power? reliabilty?
thnx very much i just wanna know some good facts before i buy it.
-scott

Ekliptix
11-27-2002, 12:37 AM
ITR tranny = LSD = the good

I think B16's usually come with a b16 tranny.

You'll drop at least a second off your 1/4mi w/ good driving.

boi-alien
11-27-2002, 12:39 AM
you need to buy hasport mounts for that, run you anywhere from 500-800 i think...

your b16a isn't going to come with a tranny?? yes you will notice a difference with different trannies cause the ratio's will be different, and ITR ones will have LSD.

they're pretty reliable, if done right, of course gas mileage wont be as good as your d16, you'll like the power a lot more, i mean think about it you're getting a bunch more HP than your dinky lil d16 so yea, you'll be happy.... for a while at least! hehe

ecstasy_civic
11-27-2002, 12:44 AM
cool, well the ITR tranny is coming with it and so are the mounts, there the mounts nelson made. well my buddy from millenium is going to put everything in for me.

Ekliptix
11-27-2002, 12:52 AM
how much? mileage? stock?

you'll love it.

boi-alien
11-27-2002, 12:53 AM
ITR is :thumbsup:

and if u're getting mounts already then go for it... how much you spending?

ecstasy_civic
11-27-2002, 12:53 AM
ill send you pms.

ecstasy_civic
11-27-2002, 12:57 AM
what do i have to do about the front end work or do i?

eur0
11-27-2002, 12:58 AM
sounds like its gonna be a nice ride!...
your gonna need to replace your front axles, shift linkage, clutch, tranny, ecu, complete motor, mounts and try and replace parts that are known to break down quickly, im no pro at this but maybe one day ill get a swap, just not on this car i dont think

ecstasy_civic
11-27-2002, 01:00 AM
hmmmm is it pricey or can i rip it off another car??? im on kinda of a tight budget.

buh_buh
11-27-2002, 01:04 AM
if your on a tight budget, then motorswap shouldn't be one of your choices.
You have to make sure you have enough money for all the little things that might go wrong.

ecstasy_civic
11-27-2002, 01:08 AM
ya thats true. i wanted to go turbo but im very worried about blowing shit up lol, just the little things like you said kinda worry me but i need to do something big. im trying to sell my rx7 and use that money for the civic. any other ideas on going faster?

buh_buh
11-27-2002, 01:15 AM
the last thing you want is have your motor half done, and no $$$ to finish it off.

ecstasy_civic
11-27-2002, 01:21 AM
well at the end of this month ill be making like an extra 60-100 bucks a day on top of my normal wage so lets see, 3300 every month, ok ya now im for sure able to afford it. thnx for making me think about the cost.:thumbsup:

boi-alien
11-27-2002, 01:49 AM
yea like buhbuh said, just make sure u have extra money, cause from experience there's always little things that might go wrong. you have to make sure you have the extra money for the just in case shit! =)

ecstasy_civic
11-27-2002, 01:52 AM
ya you guys are right, i better start saving for in case shit happens fund:rofl: so with the axles and everything how do you figure $$$$ wise? remember labour is like nothing,

three.eighteen.
11-27-2002, 02:43 AM
damn i thought that i made up the "shit happens fund"...crap

GTS Jeff
11-27-2002, 03:21 AM
hehe i have a "fuck up fund" for my car! $1000....

CRXguy
11-27-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
im really close to buying a b16 and had a few questions.

1. do i have to replace all front end pieces, ie: half shafts, cv joints etc.

If you buy a COMPLETE swap, it SHOULD have all those parts. But it wouldn't hurt to get them replaced since they're prolly worn and all. While you're doing all this, replace the timing belt, water pump, etc.

2. im obviously going to need a new tranny, the one im looking AT is from a 99 type r, am i going to notice a big difference between a ITR tranny and a regular tranny?

The engine you're getting has an ITR tranny with it, or you saying you plan on using your old tranny from your old engine? From your avatar, it seems like you drive a 92-95 DX or Si. You won't be able to use it, cuz it's a D-series. D and B aren't interchangable. That would be sweet if the swap engine did come with the ITR though. You get the factory LSD as someone else had mentioned, and awesome gearing.

3. is there really going to be a huge gain in performance? gas mileage? power? reliabilty?
thnx very much i just wanna know some good facts before i buy it.
-scott

You're top end will definitely feel alot stronger. Like most Honda engines, you'll lack low-end so you'll see yourself driving at higher revs more often. But that's part of the fun.:D Gas wise, if you keep driving it hard, of course the car will be drinking more gas. Just wait till you drive a turbo'd car.;) Keep up with the regular maintenance and the engine will last long. That's all there is to it.

I just got off work, so I might've missed something or explained something taht might be false, so you'll have to excuse me.:D

Good luck!

ecstasy_civic
11-27-2002, 09:10 PM
thnx very much guys that info is really helpful. now just to get it, im really really excited as well. im hoping to actually make something out of my civic. the motor is the first step.
oh ya ya i drive a 93 si.