PDA

View Full Version : street harness rumor

hjr
11-27-2002, 02:49 AM
:( I heard a rumor that street harnesses are illegal for street use????? whats this BS. Is It true??? It came from a source I trust(no names), but im having a hard time believing that safty upgrades are illegal.

Who knows the law on this point?

Whats the Dillio??????????????

buh_buh
11-27-2002, 03:02 AM
3 point harnesses are street legal.

three.eighteen.
11-27-2002, 03:06 AM
a seat belt with shoulder strap is technically a 3 pt harness anyway? i could see why it could be, ie harder to get out of if car is say...on fire...

buh_buh
11-27-2002, 03:24 AM
yeap, a regular seat belt is a 3 point harness.

4wheeldrift
11-27-2002, 07:43 AM
Any DOT approved harness is legal for street use. That being said, I know of only one harness that carries a DOT approval, and those are the scroth 4 points. I have harnesses in my car for track use, but I wouldn't ever use them on the street. I find its way too hard to shoulder check with them on.

Tuner1
11-27-2002, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Any DOT approved harness is legal for street use. That being said, I know of only one harness that carries a DOT approval, and those are the scroth 4 points.

4wheel is correct. The ONLY street legal DOT harness that I know of is the Schroth Rallye 3 and 4. AFAIK, none of the Momo or Sparco belts carry the DOT legal rating. I guaranantee none of the el-cheapo "tuner" brand harnesses are legal!
What does all this mean? Well first of all you will NEVER see me being held into a car by some $100 wanna' be harness. My life is worth far more than that! Number two, *if* you are ever unlucky enough to be in a serious accident and someone in your car is injured wearing an illegal harness...watch out! For more info on the hows and why of belts, go to www.schroth.com for a short education.

Rob - Schroth equipped for 7 years and loving it :)

speedracer
11-27-2002, 01:22 PM
Even with the 3 point harness you must retain the OEM factory points - removing them is illegal.

Spend the money IMO on a 4 point harness. (a 3 point isn't any better than your factory 3 point).

If you are contemplaing in running events with CSCC a 3 point harness is not acceptable. You will be told that you will have to also use your factory seat belt.

van
11-27-2002, 02:14 PM
So if you're driving around with lets say those Recaro racing seats with I think 4 pt harnesses it's actually illegal??

speedracer
11-27-2002, 02:17 PM
Along with your Recardo Racing seat (Unless DOT approved).

Tuner1
11-27-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by defekt1
So if you're driving around with lets say those Recaro racing seats with I think 4 pt harnesses it's actually illegal??

Yes, unless it is a Schroth Rallye series harness belt. There 'might' be another DOT legal brand out there, but I don't know of one.

Rob

Tuner1
11-27-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by speedracer

If you are contemplaing in running events with CSCC a 3 point harness is not acceptable. You will be told that you will have to also use your factory seat belt.

I have always questioned the CSCC logic on this. Of course I agree that 3pt el-cheapo "style" harness' arn't safe, but according to the TUV, DOT and Schroth, their Rallye 3 is every bit as safe as the Rallye 4 and meets/passes all the same tests. I suppose it is just difficult for a rule making body to have many exceptions so they make a blanket rule that 3pts aren't allowed.

Rob

hjr
11-27-2002, 05:21 PM
so what about my 5-point RJS race harnesses. 3" sholder & lap belts, and 1 1/2" anit-submarine belt. Cam-Lock buckle. CARS approved for Rally racing.... are these illegal as well??? The car has to be street legal (transits are on public roads)

speedracer
11-27-2002, 05:57 PM
Don't forget the banners across the windshield are also illegal.... We could go on forever with this subject.

Like all laws it's open to interpretation.

IMO, so long as your factory harness is still functioning (which is illegal if you remove - offroad only) then I don't see someone saying that you were not wearing a seat belt. The problem arises with people not knowing what they are doing and install the harness in an unsafe manner or buying "cheap" knock off's. - Your life.

Rob,
My understanding is that it has to do with stretching of the material. A good 3 point while still may have the same specs as a good 4 (or 5 or 6) point it will still stretch at the Y point a little more than the individule.

davidI
11-27-2002, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by speedracer
Don't forget the banners across the windshield are also illegal.... We could go on forever with this subject.

From the tint laws that I checked out you're allowed to have up to the top 6" of the windshield tinted...I think a banner would fall under that.

Then the back windows can be tinted as well...

speedracer
11-27-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by davidI

From the tint laws that I checked out you're allowed to have up to the top 6" of the windshield tinted...I think a banner would fall under that.

Nope, a fellow officer pointed this out to us. Falls under distraction for other drivers.

buh_buh
11-28-2002, 07:14 AM
nothing allowed on front 3 windows.
You can cover the back 3 with wallpaper if you wanted to tho.

Big C
11-28-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
You can cover the back 3 with wallpaper if you wanted to tho.

kick ass! i have the sweetest looking wallpaper, it has big trout patterns on it! i'm gonna install that tonight! :D

hjr
11-28-2002, 06:21 PM
im gonna put up drapes in my car, you think that'll be OK???;) :rofl: Maybe with the lace frills on the bottom??? :rofl:

Big C
11-28-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by hjr
im gonna put up drapes in my car, you think that'll be OK???;) :rofl: Maybe with the lace frills on the bottom??? :rofl:

:bigpimp:

ecstasyracer
11-30-2002, 02:01 PM
Everything is illegal it seems and we just don't know about it all. One time this cop was trying to tell my friend that he could give him a ticket for not haveing enough washer fluid and he's lucky he wasn't getting a ticket for it.

ecstasy_civic
11-30-2002, 02:04 PM
hahahha
One time this cop was trying to tell my friend that he could give him a ticket for not haveing enough washer fluid and he's lucky he wasn't getting a ticket for it.
i remember that. thats cause we were all going to be in shit lol. you should be lucky you didnt have to start up your car lol j/k:rofl:

infamous
11-30-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by ecstasyracer
Everything is illegal it seems and we just don't know about it all. One time this cop was trying to tell my friend that he could give him a ticket for not haveing enough washer fluid and he's lucky he wasn't getting a ticket for it.

hahaha i'm surprised he didn't try to give you a ticket for not enough gas...lol :rofl: