PDA

View Full Version : Tanning

nickyh
10-29-2004, 07:50 PM
I need to get some tanning in - pasty white skin does not cut it for me, but I want to avoid UV beds.
I know there are some places that offer the spray in the booth, but it only lasts about 6 days.

I was wondering if anyone knew if the third type was available here in Calgary. I saw it in the States where they take a sprayer and actually spray you - no booth needed, it's a little more pricey, but it lasts longer.

JordanLotoski
10-29-2004, 09:18 PM
swee tans do
its called a mystic tan.,..costs about 29 bucks but alot better then waiting in a bed for 20 minutes

Singel
10-29-2004, 11:57 PM
Ya...I;m gon to the dominican on boxing day...what should i do to build a base tan...:dunno:

JordanLotoski
10-29-2004, 11:58 PM
5 minutes in a lay down, with no lotion then a level 2 mystic:thumbsup:

kanjus_paki
10-31-2004, 04:48 PM
u think a brown person could look like an african american if they tanned

Jynx
10-31-2004, 05:09 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

kanjus_paki
10-31-2004, 06:18 PM
well i guess i will try....:D

JeremyD
11-04-2004, 10:03 AM
I heard the dyes can cause a big mess on your sheets (but this info is a couple years old, and i don't have direct experience) and towels as the dye rubs off on them. If you are sleeping on black sheets you are probably fine, but it might be hard to explain the brown stains on your sheets otherwise.

ZorroAMG
11-04-2004, 10:53 AM
SPRAY ON TAN? What is this queer eye for the straight guy? Either deal with skin cancer and hit a regular bed or deal with being a whitey. :rofl:

sputnik
11-04-2004, 12:07 PM
^

:werd:

Or just get a couple cans of Krylon

civicrider
11-04-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
SPRAY ON TAN? What is this queer eye for the straight guy? Either deal with skin cancer and hit a regular bed or deal with being a whitey. :rofl:

haha so true

ZorroAMG
11-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
^

Or just get a couple cans of Krylon

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: rustproof

BebeAphrodite
11-05-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by nickyh
I need to get some tanning in - pasty white skin does not cut it for me, but I want to avoid UV beds.
I know there are some places that offer the spray in the booth, but it only lasts about 6 days.

I was wondering if anyone knew if the third type was available here in Calgary. I saw it in the States where they take a sprayer and actually spray you - no booth needed, it's a little more pricey, but it lasts longer.

Mystic Tan, for me lasted only 2 days, it started coming off horribly after the second day and very unevenly even with moisturizers applied all over. The tan also gets off on 'partners' that you come into contact with if you get wet.

A few other girlfriends have experienced the same problem. Horrible fading.

The airbrush by hand is done on 16th Ave. Under the fencing place. However, I don't know how comfortable I would be getting someone to airbrush you.

A really good alternative after trying many types of tanners is Neutrogena's gradual tan. It goes on really evenly and fades pretty nicely as well.

Originally posted by JeremyD
I heard the dyes can cause a big mess on your sheets (but this info is a couple years old, and i don't have direct experience) and towels as the dye rubs off on them. If you are sleeping on black sheets you are probably fine, but it might be hard to explain the brown stains on your sheets otherwise.

I find self tanners don't fade off on sheets after the first few hours and won't come off even if you get wet unless it's the Mystic Tan.

BigDannyCool
11-05-2004, 03:36 AM
well if you're pasty white, you're not going to tan well...you'll end up being pink

ZorroAMG
11-05-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel

The tan also gets off on 'partners' that you come into contact with if you get wet.

hmmm.....:D ;)

2002civic
11-05-2004, 01:30 PM
^^not the only thing getting off either

bol
11-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by BigDannyCool
well if you're pasty white, you're not going to tan well...you'll end up being pink

I'm really white and so is my GF. We haven't burned or turne d pink. We started tanning a little over a month ago and have started to show good color now. We're not dark - but it's way better than how white we were before.

If you gradually ease into it you shouldn't have any problems like like... we started at 6 minutes and have only now just got into 20. Going twice a week.

chris
11-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by BigDannyCool
Or you could try using sun screen, it does wonders.
Who cares if you're white, that is who you are. I dont get fake tans, they look so cheesy. IMO tanning beds and sprays are pretty gay, you shouldn't spend money to do something that will make you look like you're a hundred years old when you're forty five.

nickyh
11-07-2004, 07:23 PM
I need a tan 'cause I am doing a body building comp next year.
Being tanned helps show off the muscles better.

I don't want to use a self tanner 'cause I don't want to look orange. I love the beds but my skin feels like leather even with all the creams that are out there.

BebeAphrodite
11-11-2004, 12:57 PM
The self tanners now for both Neutrogena foam and lotion aren't orange. The Mystic Spray Tan is orange.

JAYMEZ
11-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Just go to fabutan and buy some mins , You start off at 5mins , some light lotion on , do that for 3 days , after that , climb to about 7-10 mins depending on how comfortable you are . Add on mins if you dont think you will get burnt , and in about a week and a half , your skin should have built up a tolerance for it , and your base tan will start to show.

And remember , even though your not in the bed , your skin will still be tanning. Thats why they have a 24/hr rule between tans because you can burn yourself badly other wise.

WhiteNikes
11-11-2004, 02:11 PM

preludeprincess
11-13-2004, 11:45 PM
Haha I fake 'n' baked at Fabutan for 25 minutes today and it kills lol Anyways, to be even more bronze my favorite self-tanner to use is here: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P42620&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=S15205 And believe me, I've tried tons. G/L =]

Singel
11-13-2004, 11:51 PM
So what's the best thing to do for building a pre trip base tan? I'd call a salon, but they'd just be trying to sell to me, anyone got any info?

delsol_rockstar
11-14-2004, 12:07 AM
Start with like 6 minute sessions till you see your self getting darker then move it up to 8 then 10 and keep on doing that till your there for 12- 15 min sessions.

preludeprincess
11-20-2004, 03:45 PM
I'd actually just start with 13 minutes.. that's what I did =]

Singel
12-09-2004, 08:58 PM
How early should I ideally start base tanning? And I guess whats the latest I can start for it to still be effective...I'm leaving in like 16 days lol:D Also how much would it typically cost?

BebeAphrodite
12-09-2004, 09:40 PM
I learned the hard way.
Basically I can play in hot desert suns all day without getting burned but when I went for 10 minutes in the bed without building up I got burned.
If you know anyone at Sweetan just pay them a nominal fee and use their minutes (you can share)
Everyone's skin type is different but I'd start safe, go everyday for a week, and do this:
Day 1: 6 mins
Day 2: 7 mins
Day 3: 8 mins
Day 4: 9 mins
Day 5: 10 mins
Day 6: 12 mins
Day 7: 15 mins
And then stay at 15 mins
then you don't need to go everyday after that
by about 2 weeks you should have a super nice base tan

civic_rida
12-16-2004, 12:51 AM
I go 10 mins each time cuz i jus get bored layin there.

I think i could go 30 mins n not get burnt.

nismodrifter
12-16-2004, 01:00 AM
yet another advantage of being an EI......tanning.....that word is not in my vocabulary :D

yes I am well aware that I just used the word tanning in the above sentence, which means that it IS in my vocabulary..but you get the point

v8killah
02-13-2005, 01:25 PM
is it pssible to get a base tan in a week, or should i just not even bother

turbo'dGSR
02-13-2005, 01:30 PM
yea im sure it is, hit 10mins a day

2002civic
02-13-2005, 03:12 PM
where ya goin for reading week? lol

v8killah
02-13-2005, 03:27 PM
lol cancun.... ahhaha can't wait

who else is goin somewhere

2002civic
02-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Calgary! lol but might head to the condo in b.c.

mcshow
02-13-2005, 10:55 PM
headin to the cabin in windemere for a riding with the boys at Kicking Horse and Panorama cuz my plans for Cancun got screwed over

v8killah
02-13-2005, 11:28 PM
ahhhh shitty deal man, my first time goin so ill tell ya how it was:bigpimp:

Impreza
02-14-2005, 01:11 AM
I got an "OK" base tan in a about a week. I just started at 6mins on the standup tanning.

Dope Dealer
02-14-2005, 01:54 AM
If you go everyday you should have a nice base. Depending on your skin, start with x amount (I'd probably say 8-9 depending on how fair you are). Go 8 mins one day, 8 mins the next, 9 mins the next, 9 mins the next, 10 mins and 10 mins... It isnt recommended to go everyday but to start off I used to do that. Then in moderation go every 2 days, then every 3 etc.

ecstasy_civic
02-15-2006, 07:58 PM
Just been thinking about tanning to get some color, ya know, get the jump on spring break:D lol

Anyone know what places offer decent prices? im in the country hills area and not too sure what to expect.

:dunno:

Sims
02-15-2006, 08:13 PM
little 'salons' are generally way cheaper than fabutan or whatever fanchise you pick.

Stephen81
02-15-2006, 11:44 PM
Weren't you thinking about buying one of the little tanning salons out where I live a couple years back? Would have solved your problem right there :D

ecstasy_civic
02-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by stephen_haxton
Weren't you thinking about buying one of the little tanning salons out where I live a couple years back? Would have solved your problem right there :D

LOL

Ya, but I woulda been broke, it didnt appear to make hardly any money:cry:

bspot
02-15-2006, 11:59 PM
I suggest Hotti Salon and Tanning

http://www.leehotti.com/images/originals/1/326277174_l.jpg

motion
02-16-2006, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by bspot
I suggest Hotti Salon and Tanning

http://www.leehotti.com/images/originals/1/326277174_l.jpg

haha saw that coming.

ecstasy_civic
02-16-2006, 12:34 PM
lol
im mighty white and dont wanna get roasted when I hit mexico haha

JAYMEZ
02-16-2006, 12:56 PM
^^ Just got to fabutan , never go to one of those standing tanning places , you will burn to shit.

ecstasy_civic
02-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
^^ Just got to fabutan , never go to one of those standing tanning places , you will burn to shit.

Alright, sounds like a safe bet lol
Any idea what those packages go for?

~Leah~
02-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Dude, did you not read buddy's thread in H+F??? DONT go to Fabutan

They never change their bulbs, you will never get tanned. Stand up beds only burn you to shit if you're clueless about how high power they really are. I used to only need 6 mins in a stand up and I was getting suuuuper dark. I like stand ups because they don't leave white under your arms and are usually faster, and I'm always in a hurry.

But yeah DONT go to Fabutan.

PaPa LuV
02-17-2006, 04:35 AM
My girl goes to this tanning salon in Beddington Mall. Its right across the way from that little Barber shop. She shopped around for a couple of days and said that one had the best deals. Good luck

JAYMEZ
02-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by ~Leah~
Dude, did you not read buddy's thread in H+F??? DONT go to Fabutan

They never change their bulbs, you will never get tanned. Stand up beds only burn you to shit if you're clueless about how high power they really are. I used to only need 6 mins in a stand up and I was getting suuuuper dark. I like stand ups because they don't leave white under your arms and are usually faster, and I'm always in a hurry.

But yeah DONT go to Fabutan.

LOL Leah your wrong on that one. They change there bulbs all the time , I know , I used to help my gf when she worked there years ago. Ive goten tanned really dark. Stand up beds are very bad for you. Fabutan makes so much money because they are one of the best.

~Leah~
02-17-2006, 12:04 PM
I guess it depends which one you go to, you must have gotten lucky. Every Fabutan I've tried here, or in Sask, has been horrible!

Grip172
02-17-2006, 01:43 PM
ha..i wonder if i should maybe get a base tan? i burn very easily tho..and the thing is, when i burn, it doesn't really turn into a tan afterwards...it more just kind of fades away and turns back to pasty white...so i think tanning would be useless for me

khtm
02-17-2006, 02:26 PM
Do you guys that tan also colour your hair? And maybe hang out with your boyfriends at clubs and all have the same haircut and pose for pictures with tough-guy faces?

And live in New Jersey??

00CivicSi
02-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Grip172
ha..i wonder if i should maybe get a base tan? i burn very easily tho..and the thing is, when i burn, it doesn't really turn into a tan afterwards...it more just kind of fades away and turns back to pasty white...so i think tanning would be useless for me

You can take beta Carotene to help you hold the color better. Or eat more carrots

Grip172
02-17-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by 00CivicSi

You can take beta Carotene to help you hold the color better. Or eat more carrots

wtf is that? like a pill or something haha

and carrots..really? weird

~Leah~
02-17-2006, 08:55 PM
beta carotene is a vitamin... which is in carrots... i think?

00CivicSi
02-17-2006, 10:23 PM
beta carotene is a vitamin... which is in carrots... i think?

:werd: You can get it in a pill.....Kinda like when a baby eat lotsa carrots they turn orange like a carrot. Carrot's got high beta. Not saying your gonna turn orange but the Beta carotene can hold your igmentation better.

JAYMEZ
02-18-2006, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by khtm
Do you guys that tan also colour your hair? And maybe hang out with your boyfriends at clubs and all have the same haircut and pose for pictures with tough-guy faces?

And live in New Jersey??

Have you ever gone somewhere hot before? And didnt want to look like a pasty mother fucker who turns red after 1 hour of sun , then bitches about being burnt?

missblondie
02-22-2006, 05:15 PM
I guess it depends which one you go to, you must have gotten lucky. Every Fabutan I've tried here, or in Sask, has been horrible!

I think that you really have your information misconstrued. I saw your post in the other thread and responded to it there but you may not have seen it.

Do you have any idea how many tanning salons have been opened and ran in calgary alone. How many people have attempted to run their own tanning salon and failed at it? There are many "ma&pa" tanning salons that are absolutely awesome but you must have noticed that 1 tanning chain continues to run as the biggest, most reputable, and with the most longevity. The reason that Fabutan has been around for so long is because they have a STRICT set of guidlines set out by thier headoffice that they must follow. The amount of time that you are allowed to tan for, the amount of time that must be inbetween your tanning sessions, the regularity of bulb changes, and the contracts that you sign when you start tanning with them and many more.

I do not own a fabutan franchise, nor do I currently work for one, although I have previously worked for one as well as done my fair share of research into the tanning industry as I will be opening my own salon in this upcoming year.

Maybe you should take the time to learn a little bit about indoor tanning, the lifespan of an indoor tanning bulb and the difference in beds used at different companies. I think at that point you will be able to give a real assesment of a tanning salon that you stated in your other post you have never even tanned at.

00CivicSi
02-23-2006, 04:47 PM
I have a problem getting lotion on my back :D Soooo I end up usually drying up back there and peeling is there anyway to help that?? I asked a gurl to apply for me and she just looked at me funny

atomic
02-23-2006, 05:16 PM

how does that even make sense? :rolleyes:

Unknown303
02-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Other then asking a girl i have no other idea.... And i use fabutan and they are great here in calgary IMO. Used to goto the one in Mindapore *sp* and that one turned me dark pretty fast.