PDA

View Full Version : It's about bloody time!

hyperwhite
10-30-2004, 02:46 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=103065

The article says it all, some players are finally starting to crack. i really dont blame them, the only players a cap would affect is the guys making 3 million and up a year, and it seems that's who the nhlpa is protecting

Si_FlyGuy
10-30-2004, 10:21 AM
It was bound to happen. Too bad they didn't have the guts to speak up sooner.

(My fav. commercial this year: Nike's "Bring the Game Back" commercial)

grocko
10-30-2004, 01:44 PM
I still can't get over the fact that theses guys are on strike because they're getting payed millions of dollars to play a GAME. I'm glad that some of them are speaking up. I was thinking about what they could do the other night...and to me a hard luxury tax could work too.

Example:

$40 million "cap" before tax starts in.
$40-45mil a certain percent taxed.... 5%
$45-50mil another percent added.....10%
and so on...

This way there still is some room for the bigger spending teams to grab players, but it might become less financially appealing, making teams have their own kind of "salary cap" in a sense. I'm not quite sure if that's what the NHLPA wanted, but really it wouldn't be that bad of an idea. The TSN solution wouldn't be bad too...

Xtrema
10-31-2004, 09:58 AM
In the end, it's team like NY and Boston that has the finanical means to muscle out 1/2 the league and pay big $$$$ for players.

NHLPA want to keep that going, so everybody have a chance to get $$$ from NY and that also drags up the average for everyone else.

But the problem is, teams like Calgary can't afford the big $$ and had to get lucky on new cheap talents.

I can see why NHLPA doesn't want a salary cap because that means major profits for big market teams.

Still, they still got more than they deserve for playing a GAME.

hockeybronx
11-03-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by hyperwhite
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=103065

The article says it all, some players are finally starting to crack. i really dont blame them, the only players a cap would affect is the guys making 3 million and up a year, and it seems that's who the nhlpa is protecting

Hey Playa...

Although I would love to be optimistic, I'm not holding my breath. Too much politics, too much ego, too little realization of what's happening to a great game.

It was never supposed to be this way.