PDA

View Full Version : Need help building sub box

J-DUBZ86
10-30-2004, 11:16 AM
If anyone could help me I need sub box plans, doesn't matter what type I just need something to base it on. I wanna make my own and if I could get a variety to look at that would be awsome.

GlasSman
10-31-2004, 12:03 AM
What subs? Ported or sealed?

celica girl
10-31-2004, 01:25 AM
Check out what Derdall Designs did for me... they did a false floor set up.

http://www.celicagirl.ca/gallery/albums/album21/Picture_190.jpg

http://www.celicagirl.ca/gallery/albums/album21/Picture_198.jpg

http://www.celicagirl.ca/gallery/albums/album21/Picture_199.jpg

ex1z7
10-31-2004, 04:46 AM
Sounds retarded but...do you even need a sub box ? Aside from making the sound clearer, is there anything else that can be done instead of putting a beefy hunk of wood and sub in your trunk? :| Just curious...heh

Skylinelover
10-31-2004, 09:21 AM
^Carpet it, it will make it way better.

Ryan@DerdallDesigns
11-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Depending on what subs your running.. look up and see how much air space is required and if sealed/ ported is the best way to go. Then proceed from there

J-DUBZ86
11-01-2004, 06:10 PM
Ya uh i cant afford that setup u got celcia chick and im already building a ported box with no carpet

i was thinkin 36"by 14" by14" and 2 10" subs on either side 2 inches from top 2 inches from bottom with a triangle spot built inbetween the subs with ports probably 4 inches in diamter on either side of the triangle and then a slotted 1.5 inch by 10 port in the front of the box. is that a good box to build, itl have 2 10"infinitys powered by a 2400 rockford amp

hockeybronx
11-01-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by J-DUBZ86
If anyone could help me I need sub box plans, doesn't matter what type I just need something to base it on. I wanna make my own and if I could get a variety to look at that would be awsome.

Hey Playa...

PM Beamerboy. He has done quite a bit of wordworking and fibreglassing in his car, he even is laying hardwood down in his trunk. Give him a shout and he would be able to at least give you some advice and how-to tips.

HuMz
11-01-2004, 06:55 PM
no you need to build you box to spec of your subs, (or at least fairly close) if you just guess and decide to build a random size box with random sized port there's a good chance it will sound like shit and its possible to even damage your subs, what model number are your subs?

jwaj2002
12-05-2004, 02:20 PM
ok i was wanting some plans to build a box, for 3 12" subs and 2 10" subs, im going to yank the back seat out of my honda hatchback and mount it there back to the back door, any help would be appreciated... id prefer to not have to pay for plans

digitalshogun
12-05-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by jwaj2002
ok i was wanting some plans to build a box, for 3 12" subs and 2 10" subs, im going to yank the back seat out of my honda hatchback and mount it there back to the back door, any help would be appreciated... id prefer to not have to pay for plans

Subs are all designed differently. What subs were you thinking of? If you have a sub model in mind, you need to design the box around the sub first and then make it fit. If you want it to fit your vehicle in a certain way ... you then need to pick the sub according to your box design. I believe all the sub mfg. will have the range of sizes required in either litres or gallons. If you plan on doing it yourself, the easiest thing would be to get a sub good for sealed applications. Porting and band pass requires more work (and more math). Using the specs from the mfg. of the sub, calculate out the approx dimensions of your box. If you are making anything other than a rectangular box ... it will be much more complicated to get accurate without calculus. Simplest way to get around that is to construct your box out of cardboard first. Then fill the box with styrofoam pellets, empty box into a measuring container and see if you are close to the required space.

However, using a sealed application sub has drawbacks. It won't be nearly as loud at the same power level as a port application sub. In the end you get what you pay for. You either pay time to learn how to do it right, or you pay money to somebody that has taken the time to learn how to do it right for you.

GlasSman
12-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by jwaj2002

Do not mix sub sizes that are reproducing the same frequencies. You'll get all sorts of cancellations and end up with less bass than if you had one 12" sub. What is your goal? Lots of bass? Is saving space of no concern to you? Do you want absolute loudness with no hope for accuracy or do you want to some what be able to tell it's in fact music that you're listening to? If you picked a sub from a highly reputable brand, say for instance Image Dynamics and went with three ID12 v.3's and fed them quality power you'll have more bass than you could stand. If you DIDN't want to be able to sit in the car you could get 3 IDMAX subs feed them 800 watts a piece. If you needed more bass than that setup could provide there would be something wrong. :banghead: 2 of those subs would be MORE than enough.

You need to give a budget and what you realistically expect from the setup.