PDA

View Full Version : Help! Am I getting ripped off?

5hift
10-30-2004, 11:25 AM
Until I got my 5 speed prelude I had been driving an automatic accord. I had one of those 2 Way RF Arctic Start Starter Alarms installed in the accord and now that I am selling it, I wanted to get it installed in the prelude.

I went to AutoDreams and was told it would cost about 250 just to take out the set up and put it in the prelude., even though brand new installed the set up costs like 600 (including the trunk release and a couple other things they add charges for). When I went to Impressions (where I originally bought this) to compare prices I was told there that it couldnt be done because they "cut the wires differently for autos and manuals" and that the "Autodreams guys were mistaken about being able to do this".

What Im trying to find out is if this is even possible because Im not sure if Impressions is trying to sell me a new alarm or if AutoDreams will find out you cant switch it after taking apart my car and tinkering around with it.

Also If anyone knows of any other reputable places where I can get a deal for installing this along with a sound system, I would appriciate that. Because so far it looks like its going to cost me around 500 bucks even though I have all the needed cables and wires just to get a sound system installed as well as transfering a car alarm / starter.

It might just be me but $500 seems like a rip off just to get equipment I already have, installed in my car. :cry: :confused:

FiveFreshFish
10-30-2004, 01:45 PM
I had an alarm installed by Audio Concepts a long time ago and was very happy with the work they did. Not sure how good they are now. Call them and get a 3rd opinion.

Audio Concepts Mobile
291-9229
1916 32 Ave NE

Phuqu
10-30-2004, 02:49 PM
What model is installed in your Auto Accord?

Some starter/alarm combos are strictly for auto's only. If that is the case you won't be able to use it. You won't know until you check what model it is and see if it's manual capable.

As far as taking it somewhere to have it removed and reinstalled I would think that they would be hesitant about installing a used starter/alarm combo. I would think that they wouldn't warranty anything unless it was new.

But as for just the cost of the swap I would think that your basically doing an install twice. Once to remove it safely and cleanly and the other to reinstall it.

Ryan@DerdallDesigns
10-30-2004, 04:52 PM
(quote)
When I went to Impressions (where I originally bought this) to compare prices I was told there that it couldnt be done because they "cut the wires differently for autos and manuals" and that the "Autodreams guys were mistaken about being able to do this".

They are just trying to sell you a new unit. The auto/ Man transmission selector is a wire in the unit itself. All that needs to be done is to twist the wire back together and solder.

And yes you are right that is a pretty extreme price to pay to have all that stuff installed again....considering its soley labour.

Ive PMed you.

Weapon_R
10-30-2004, 05:00 PM
On my system, you cut a single wire for automatic, keep it connected for standard. All you have to do is solder it back together to get it to work on a manual. There isn't "anything different". Impressions is trying to scam you.

filus
10-30-2004, 05:18 PM
Scam?? what scam. Chill out people.

If you solder the wire back together...it will work, but kiss your warranty goodbye. Thats probably why Impressions didnt want to work with the unit. If you dont care about warranty, have it installed where ever. I was down at Quinn Security talking to the owner. Seems like a cool guy his prices are rock solid, give him a try.

95acc
10-30-2004, 05:26 PM
Quinn is a joke and i recommend no one to go there, there prices are solid untill you want options.

They are just trying to sell you a new unit. The auto/ Man transmission selector is a wire in the unit itself. All that needs to be done is to twist the wire back together and solder.

I am not trying to sell a new unit i am trying to save the warranty and save my ass from a lawsuit!
if i were to solder the wire back together and the board got to hot and melted a solder joint somewhere else and the car started by accident and killed someone who would be resposible? thats right ME!
Arctic start would tell me to get fucked because i soldered the wire.
if you really want the have the unit installed buy a new brain with a loop that has not been cut and be safe.It might cost you a few buck more but better to be safe than sorry.

Paul

Superesc
10-30-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by filus
Scam?? what scam. Chill out people.

If you solder the wire back together...it will work, but kiss your warranty goodbye. Thats probably why Impressions didnt want to work with the unit. If you dont care about warranty, have it installed where ever. I was down at Quinn Security talking to the owner. Seems like a cool guy his prices are rock solid, give him a try.

You maybe the only supporter of Quin on this forum. :rofl:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15707

filus
10-30-2004, 05:56 PM
I wouldnt say "supporter" but I am shopping around, called a few places...I went down there and chatted it up a bit. The guy seems like he knows his shit...prices like I said were good. I tried messaging a couple of the site sponsers with no replys...so I was left to use the good old yellow pages. haha

95acc
10-30-2004, 07:05 PM
yes but what units do they sell? any name brands? any warranty? those should be your deciding factors.

filus
10-30-2004, 11:23 PM
The guy told me lifetime warranty...seems easy enough. Brands, they carried brands I never heard of, shit I cant even find online! What is a Your Ride 2 way alarm/starter? The guy told me its the same as a Compustar, but way cheaper.

BTW this is for a 97 Grand Am automatic.

Weapon_R
10-30-2004, 11:30 PM
Do a search on Quinn. When 20,000 members all voice the same opinion, there is a reason for that. I almost wish that there was a rep. from Quinn to see this, as it might make them wake up.

Wtf is a "Your Ride" 2 way starter? I've never heard of that company, and it sure as hell isn't as good as a compustar.

googe
10-30-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by 95acc
Quinn is a joke and i recommend no one to go there, there prices are solid untill you want options.

I am not trying to sell a new unit i am trying to save the warranty and save my ass from a lawsuit!
if i were to solder the wire back together and the board got to hot and melted a solder joint somewhere else and the car started by accident and killed someone who would be resposible? thats right ME!
Arctic start would tell me to get fucked because i soldered the wire.
if you really want the have the unit installed buy a new brain with a loop that has not been cut and be safe.It might cost you a few buck more but better to be safe than sorry.

Paul

well thats sounding like a load of crap

why would you be trying to preserve the warranty on a unit youre telling her wont work anyway? IF it voided the warranty then she has 2 choices

1. buying a working, warrantied unit and having it installed and having her current unit removed and serving no purpose
2. have it installed but not warrantied

if #2 goes wrong she would have to buy another unit anyway, so from a customers perspective it really makes no sense for her to not try and see if it works.

anyway, besides all that, what are you doing working on peoples cars if youre not comfortable enough in your wire-twisting skills and maybe adding a drop of solder (probably not even needed) to the point that it may kill someone? or am i missing something?

icedlude
11-01-2004, 10:20 AM
The guy told me lifetime warranty...seems easy enough. Brands, they carried brands I never heard of, shit I cant even find online! What is a Your Ride 2 way alarm/starter? The guy told me its the same as a Compustar, but way cheaper.

BTW this is for a 97 Grand Am automatic.

Your Ride AKA cheap Cheap Crap. This product is a Unit that Mr Quinn gets off the back of some truck down in Calif. He calls It Your Ride.... He really should call it Your Cheap Crap that I raped you for. "Hey look at me and my ratbagged viper that your hard earned dollars paid for!!!" This guy is a complete scam artist he pays 23 dollars a pop for these units and Charges you 329 for them. These do not come with a warrenty until you pay the extra 70 dollars. This is not a factory product warrenty! It is a " these things are so cheap that I can replace them at least 6 times and still make a killing just off the warrenty!"
A far streach from compustar But I guess hes in his own little world ripping off poor little old ladies and such.

Your turn MR 95 acc.

What is your deal!!!!...Dont solder.. you should be able to solder a wire toghether without blowing the board with solder. If you dont think you can solder a sigle wire back toghether on the bench than I dont think that I would trust you to get under my dash!! Do yourself a favor and go back to school, you can start out with grade 8 power mechanics and maybe after a few years you can enrol yourself into a course at MECP!
Do it right or dont do it at all!!!!!

Tony2
11-01-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
On my system, you cut a single wire for automatic, keep it connected for standard. All you have to do is solder it back together to get it to work on a manual. There isn't "anything different". Impressions is trying to scam you.

Originally posted by googe

well thats sounding like a load of crap

why would you be trying to preserve the warranty on a unit youre telling her wont work anyway? IF it voided the warranty then she has 2 choices

1. buying a working, warrantied unit and having it installed and having her current unit removed and serving no purpose
2. have it installed but not warrantied

if #2 goes wrong she would have to buy another unit anyway, so from a customers perspective it really makes no sense for her to not try and see if it works.

anyway, besides all that, what are you doing working on peoples cars if youre not comfortable enough in your wire-twisting skills and maybe adding a drop of solder (probably not even needed) to the point that it may kill someone? or am i missing something?

Originally posted by icedlude

Your turn MR 95 acc.

What is your deal!!!!...Dont solder.. you should be able to solder a wire toghether without blowing the board with solder. If you dont think you can solder a sigle wire back toghether on the bench than I dont think that I would trust you to get under my dash!! Do yourself a favor and go back to school, you can start out with grade 8 power mechanics and maybe after a few years you can enrol yourself into a course at MECP!
Do it right or dont do it at all!!!!!

You guys have a problem with cranial rectum inversion or what? First of all I am not taking anyone’s side or bashing anyone as there are a lot of reputable installers and dealers out there!! However what Impressions says is true!! No Ifs ands or butts The warranty will be VOID if you re-solder the wire back together as can be seen from their site here………(Cause I am sure you guys did your homework right, or were you born knowing all?)

http://www.compustar.org/support/index.html
click on the CM3000 install guide link (Brains for the Alarm Starter Combo)
and look at the bottom of page 3

FYI……….Firstech manufactures Compustar, NuStart, and ArticStart for Canada. All of which are essentially the same units aside from some cosmetic and packaging differences.

Ok now I understand most of you are young, however the liability issues Impressions speak of are a real and should not to be taken lightly!! In the day of electronics things do happen, malfunctions, etc. Now lets just say something like Impressions was describing does happen (i.e. Khali is X-Mas shopping come this December and innocently enough a mom and her new born are cutting between rows of cars trying to stay out of the slush and out of the blue the unlikely does happen, Kahlis car starts on its own and lurches forward killing the baby in the stroller just as they cut between!!) Now who do you think is going to take the fall for that? Well not Firstech cause they clearly state in their manuals NOT to re-solder, and they have an out as the unit would have been tampered with!!! Khali is not (Even though he/she is aware of this now but still doesn’t want to pay the price to have it done properly) So yes I will spell it out even though there is only 1 possibility left……..drum roll……………..IMPRESSIONS WOULD!!!

So now at this point lets pretend 15 years from now you move up from flipping burgers and are successful in the business world………would you sacrifice your business and possibly your personal assets to do a $250 install that could come back in bite you in the ass cause the customer was to cheap to get it done properly??

T2

Skylinelover
11-01-2004, 03:13 PM
The guy told me its the same as a Compustar, but way cheaper.
I dont think he means price wise. ;)

icedlude
11-01-2004, 03:13 PM
alright....:rolleyes: cause we all know that a wire can just magicly come unsoldered and cause such a fatal accident. The f ing car would have to be in ready mode mr. tony2 know it all.why dont you go back to flipping your burgers and keep your uneducated comments to yourself!! If the cut loop is soldered back together this would mean that its now a man.trans application....thus you would have to set the car up in "ready mode" to use the car starter!!!( E brake up car in neutral, take the key out of the ig car stays running till you get out and close the door. then it arms the alarm and locks doors.) A car left in ready mode is perfectly safe. This car wouldnt start unless it was left in ready mode!!! The only way your fatal accident would happen is if the trans. selector loop wasnt soldered back together. If this instal is done properly it is 100% fail safe. Obviously you dont know anything about this product or how to instal them properly so I forgive you for your obviously uneducted assumtions that have no validness to this topic.

cboyspimp
11-01-2004, 03:19 PM
ill send you to my cousin sammy he owns mr. detail on mcloaed and he will defenitly beat that price

icedlude
11-01-2004, 03:25 PM
MR DETAIL are you serious!!! I dont think I would send my car to someone in the detailing buisness to instal anything electronic!

googe
11-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Tony2

http://www.compustar.org/support/index.html
click on the CM3000 install guide link (Brains for the Alarm Starter Combo)
and look at the bottom of page 3

FYI……….Firstech manufactures Compustar, NuStart, and ArticStart for Canada. All of which are essentially the same units aside from some cosmetic and packaging differences.

Ok now I understand most of you are young, however the liability issues Impressions speak of are a real and should not to be taken lightly!! In the day of electronics things do happen, malfunctions, etc. Now lets just say something like Impressions was describing does happen (i.e. Khali is X-Mas shopping come this December and innocently enough a mom and her new born are cutting between rows of cars trying to stay out of the slush and out of the blue the unlikely does happen, Kahlis car starts on its own and lurches forward killing the baby in the stroller just as they cut between!!) Now who do you think is going to take the fall for that? Well not Firstech cause they clearly state in their manuals NOT to re-solder, and they have an out as the unit would have been tampered with!!! Khali is not (Even though he/she is aware of this now but still doesn’t want to pay the price to have it done properly) So yes I will spell it out even though there is only 1 possibility left……..drum roll……………..IMPRESSIONS WOULD!!!

So now at this point lets pretend 15 years from now you move up from flipping burgers and are successful in the business world………would you sacrifice your business and possibly your personal assets to do a $250 install that could come back in bite you in the ass cause the customer was to cheap to get it done properly??

thats hilarious, you better not go outside man, some falling space debris might take off your head, or a stray bullet might take out your lungs, or a mosquito might give you aids from a person it bit previously... :rolleyes:

those are all more probable than what you speak of, if you did screw up the solder (which youd have to be extremely bad to do) in all probability youre going to render the unit useless, not modify the circuit logic in such a way that its going to start at random intervals

lets be real here, your example is no more likely than an array of lightning bolts striking a farmers field in such a pattern that it leaves an image of brian spillner playing cards with some dogs

icedlude
11-01-2004, 03:50 PM
googe your my new best friend:thumbsup: solid comments

Tony2
11-01-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by icedlude
alright....:rolleyes: cause we all know that a wire can just magicly come unsoldered and cause such a fatal accident. The f ing car would have to be in ready mode mr. tony2 know it all.why dont you go back to flipping your burgers and keep your uneducated comments to yourself!! If the cut loop is soldered back together this would mean that its now a man.trans application....thus you would have to set the car up in "ready mode" to use the car starter!!!( E brake up car in neutral, take the key out of the ig car stays running till you get out and close the door. then it arms the alarm and locks doors.) A car left in ready mode is perfectly safe. This car wouldnt start unless it was left in ready mode!!! The only way your fatal accident would happen is if the trans. selector loop wasnt soldered back together. If this instal is done properly it is 100% fail safe. Obviously you dont know anything about this product or how to instal them properly so I forgive you for your obviously uneducted assumtions that have no validness to this topic.

Ahhhh yes another victim of public education I see! What part of “Liability Issues” did you not understand?

liability definition (adj) – liability is the quality or state of being legally obligated or responsible.

Issues definition (n) – a result or point under dispute

So in other words what I had said is that “If” there is an issue (note where it says malfunctions, etc, happen all of the time in the electronics world) Impressions could be used as a scapegoat and held responsible regardless if it was in fact their fault or not!! In other words “good on them” for adhering to Firstech’s policies and having the sense to protect themselves!

Was the example I originally posted unlikely? YES!! However I was just making a point and showing some relevancy that your brain obviously can not comprehend!! So once again anything in the electronics world that can malfunction commonly does!! Another example thats not so far fetched is what happens when this person 6 months from now takes advice from imbeciles such as you on how to wire additional 12v items in to their vehicle and the car catches on fire? Once again Impressions could be used as a scapegoat!!

As far as my knowledge of the product I would venture to compare aptitude on the 12v industry anytime you feel your up to it………Heck I would be willing to bet I have been in the industry as many years as your age.

T2

Zero102
11-01-2004, 07:20 PM
Jeez guys,
He's protecting himself from a liability standpoint, the same as any of us would do if we had our own businesses.

Suppose something else goes wrong with the alarm, something completely unrelated, starts an electrical fire or something. It could all come back to him, as he is the only one to have done something un-authorized to it. I think he's making the right choice.