PDA

View Full Version : buy a pre-owned minivan in Calgary, your suggestion pls

4minivan
10-31-2004, 04:37 PM
want to buy a second-handed minivan.
1) <150,000km,
2) good condition so I do not have to spend much of money to repair it in near future,
3) as cheap as possible.

pls help me with your suggestion:
1) which model?
2) how much is possible price?

appreciate if you talk about your experience.

thanks.

I was suggested to buy a Villager. Checked it. More questions:
1) how about this minivan?
2) how many km is it good, or acceptable?
3) what document should I ask for?
4) your suggestions pls?

thanks

kanjus_paki
10-31-2004, 04:50 PM
whats your price range?

get a used odyssey or sienna

edit if u want real cheap then go for a dodge caravan prolly can get one for lik 6-8 g's

Weapon_R
10-31-2004, 04:52 PM
If I can offer you any piece of advice, please do not buy a Dodge Caravan.

We purchased one in 1997, brand new and off the lot.

In 1999, we replaced a transmission (110,000km). In the same year, it had to be rebuilt once again (we did not go through Chrysler, came out of our pocket).

In 2000, the radiator started leaking, causing the vehicle to overheat. Cost was big to replace the rad, thermostat and a few other damaged components.

The alternator was next, and we replaced about 3 alternator belts in the three years that we owned that shitbox. We will never own another Chrysler product again.

Whats worse, after some research on the net, we found that the tranny problems were rampant. It was not an isolated incident, and it was by far the most expensive repairs we had to make.

We sold it at 120,000kms after much of the problems were fixed, but god only knows what has since gone wrong with it!

blueripper6
10-31-2004, 05:07 PM
My parents leased a 1998 ford windstar brand new for 2 years, and then bought it the same vehicle. Pretty damn good vehicle, it has 200 000 + on it now and the motor pulls really really good still:D.. Apart from my brother trying to drift it and bending up the front end, the problems are small, like the door locks on the side door went, it was the sensor, it wouldnt lock or unlock or sense the door, it always showed it as closed.. Quick fix with new sensor and fuse fixed all the locks and everything.

The transmission makes a few lunky shifts, Like If you were to push it hard around a corner or something the tranny would kind of shake when you shift.. LOL I cant really explain it, happens rarely but has happened for the last 3 years and hasnt gotten any worse. Also the signal switch with the whiper controls on it is a little funny, the signals ALWAYS work but the whipers dont always work, you need to give it the slightest tap to I guess put the wires to connect so that they actually work.. kind of anoying IMO.

Overall its a good vehicle I would give it 4 stars out of 5.. defintly something you should take a look at.

boy1_
10-31-2004, 05:21 PM
I agree that the Chrylser minivan, how should I put this......SUCKS. A 1994 model, one owner, 200000km, and 3 trannies. Don't get one, the trannies in them suck, aunt and uncle had one, also had a crap transmission.

tills
10-31-2004, 05:39 PM
i suggest not buying a mini van

2jzgte
10-31-2004, 06:01 PM
Tills shut your mouth...if he wants a minivan let him get a minicar..and like hell you drive a nissan skyline, Comprende?

MenteL
10-31-2004, 06:35 PM
Do not get a caravan!

Here is the e xperience my dad had when he bought a 2000 caravan brand new off the showroom floor for 26 thousand.

Went in, bought van at eastside dodge/chrysler in marlborough

Salesmen were helpful and friendly when he was buying the van, as any would be to get the fat commission.

Two weeks later, someone shot out the side sliding door window, thus scratching allt he paint along the side of the van.

When my dad got the van, he ordered a 900 dollar special 'clear coat protectant' to prevent scratching from happening. after brushing off the van, there was scratches EVERYWHERE, what did they do? try to charge my pops an extra 1200 to get it fixed, meanwhile its sti ll under warranty.

he took it to a car wash, one of those automatic ones with the brushes..gets out of the wash to dry the van off and there are scratches everywhere. again, this shouldn't have happened with the special coating they 'applied' to the paint. he never did end up getting it fixed.

later, there was a problem with the tranny...3 months before warranty wore off. my dad goes in to get it fixed, they say it was some 'tube' leaking......okay whatever, fix it.

a week later same problem, apparantly he cant get the van serviced for 30 days because of business booking and no space available. little under 2 months remain on the warranty, he gets it fixed. one month remains on warranty, same problem again, apparantly that said 'tube' came loose again, take it in, get it fixed. the day after the warranty runs out, same problem, clunky shifting and rattling. take it in again to get this 'tube' put in its place. mechanics and service guys say its a solenoid gone inside the transmission and the cost to replace it is 2400 dollars because they have to rebuild the transmission.

point of that story? they beat around the bush temporarily fixing the problem so that they could get money off my parents once warranty ran out.

so, 4 years later, he managed to sell the van for $10,500....depreciation sure hurts the wallet, and i strongly dont recommend buying a dodge caravan, or a chrysler voyager......and dont go to eastside dodge, or varsity , they treat you like scum.

if you want a good van, try getting a toyota or a mazda mpv, import vans always seem to work the best

t-im
10-31-2004, 06:44 PM
find a nissan quest or mercury villager!

statick
10-31-2004, 06:57 PM
contrary to what blueripper6 said, dont buy a fard windstar IMO. my parents owned this vehicle before, and plenty of sht goes wrong with it. go for mazda mpv, or nissan quest. I'd say sienna or odyssey, but the are most likely out of your price range.

MenteL
10-31-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by statick
contrary to what blueripper6 said, dont buy a fard windstar IMO. my parents owned this vehicle before, and plenty of sht goes wrong with it. go for mazda mpv, or nissan quest. I'd say sienna or odyssey, but the are most likely out of your price range. yeah, ford windstars aren't that reliable, my boss has one hes trading in for a ford f150 because its got to many issues with it.

toyboy88
10-31-2004, 07:14 PM
a good bet is a 98 toyota previa van, we had one for 6 years (sold 2 years ago with 100.000km on it) and it had no problems at all!

you can get one for around 8000-11000$ and the le version has the same supercharged engine as the MR2. alot of people actually don't know that.

:thumbsup:

toyboy88
10-31-2004, 07:17 PM
DODGE CARAVAN SUCKS ASS!!!! WORST VAN EVER!!!!! NO!!!!!

xrayvsn
10-31-2004, 07:27 PM
You're pretty limited by the price. For $5000, and under 150,000 km, you are only likely to find Dodge Caravans. In fact, the majority of the used minivan market is used Caravans, and the occasional Windstar.

For about $10,000 you may be able to find an older Toyota Sienna, or Honda Odyssey. The Mazda MPV is a little more difficult to find, but may be an option. The pre 2003 MPV and older Odysseys are a little underpowered in comparison to the others.

blueripper6
10-31-2004, 07:44 PM
Yea I have heard the same thing, beside the few little things that gone wrong my parents have been told they have been REALLY lucky.

3G
10-31-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by t-im
find a nissan quest or mercury villager!

:werd: We've owned soo many caravans over the years, nothign went on them! As hard as ive driven em (redline etc) downshifted for the hell of it and I have yet to blow a tranny! Get like a 92 Previa bvut I doubt ul find one with low km for cheap! Good luck with ur search!

ND4SPD_HS
10-31-2004, 07:54 PM
Get a Toyota PREVIA....you'll never go wrong.
Or Sienna or Honda Odyssey, if you can afford it.

benyl
10-31-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88
DODGE CARAVAN SUCKS ASS!!!! WORST VAN EVER!!!!! NO!!!!!

Thanks for you delightful insight.

Needless to say, he is somewhat correct although does not provide any proof.

1. Most older caravans have mitsubishi motors that tend to leak oil. Go to a lot with a lot of minivans and take a look underneath. It will be greasy and it won't be road grim.

2. Most caravans have a weak transmission. Usually the first thing to go.

The honda odessey is a good buy, but get the LX over the EX. The power doors are problematic. Also, the pained mirrors and door handles tend to peel. Mechanically, the LX and the EX are the same. If you get a 2002 model or later, they come with the 3.5 litre 250hp motor. A weak point of the honda is the transmission. I believe that it has been recalled. If it has not, make sure you get it fixed before purchasing it.

Most Windstar minivans have electrical problems.

I don't know much about the Sienna other than the bland styling.

Get a Kia. It has a great warrantee and has decent build quality for the price.

t-im
10-31-2004, 10:13 PM
you already made a thread about this a few hours ago

4minivan
10-31-2004, 10:20 PM
your information is really important to me. very appreciate!

i am searching. still need your information.

thanks

it seemed Mercury Villager's price is not bad. if its performance is good, i think i am able to afford it, a second-handed villager.

3G
10-31-2004, 10:27 PM
You should be able to find a 96-97 Plymouth Voyager/Dodge Caravan or a like 95-97 Windstar or even a 95 Mercury Villager! The Villager is the smoothest and ive felt it pulls better than the other 2!

Team_Mclaren
10-31-2004, 10:33 PM
plz dont doubt post.

4minivan
10-31-2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
plz dont doubt post.

FiveFreshFish
11-01-2004, 05:14 PM
How about a Nissan Axxess? These early-90s minivans are quite small compared to today's minivans. They sell for about $1500 to $5000.

Rob_Eh
11-03-2004, 01:21 PM
I have a newer Caravan, and many of my family members do as well. Sure they may have problems, but the price compared to the imports is huge (and huge difference in re-sale value that probably applies to you).

I hated the idea of buying a mini-van, but with kids, it is the most economical all-round useful vehical to buy (the complete opposite of an SUV :))

Fords (Windstar/Villager/Aerostar) are cheap on re-sale, but check out Lemon-Aid before you buy one. I personally don't like the GM's (Montanas/Trans Sports/Ventures). Astro's are good if you need to tow (or want rear-wheel for other reasons).

Overall... I still like the Chryslers (the "orriginal" mini-van).

-Rob