PDA

View Full Version : how much for turbo kits

cressida_pimpin
10-31-2004, 10:03 PM
hey im wondering how much im lookin at to turbocharge a car, does it depend on what kind of car or just the kind of kit it is, also is there anyone on here that can put a kit together for my for cheap?
thanks

finboy
10-31-2004, 10:14 PM
depends on vehicle, new or used parts, legendboy puts togeather kits

^SkylinE^
10-31-2004, 10:21 PM
be more spesific? What car are you using what kind of power figures are you looking to go for. What kind of cash are you looking to spend? Once we know these we will be of more help!:thumbsup:

Aleks
11-01-2004, 09:57 AM
Take your budgeted ammount and add 20-30% to it... ;)

shadow
11-01-2004, 11:50 AM
This is extreeeemely variable..

Now if you are looking to turbocharge with only a very small increase in power and psi then you do not need to spend as much.. I.E.

Very low boost..

Turbocharger(wastegate attaches), blow off valve, piping, wastegate, manifold... you will probably have to change the amount of fuel which you can take a couple different routes.. but one may be a basic fuel computer..

Now if you want a lot of power... and more boost.... IT ADDS UP!

Larger turbocharger (more expensive)
Custom piping..
Blow off valve
wastegate
Intercooler
Higher hold clutch
Different injectors (possible new fuel lines)
Better fuel pump
Fuel/boost controllers (or you could go standalone computer)

A whole lot of small things I did not include.. labor... connectors... clamps... etc etc etc..

I have no doubt I missed some things... I just forgot them off the top of my head.. I am jst giving info from what I know about turbocharging a rotory engine.. piston generally costs a little more..

Main difference smaller turbochargers often come in kits with all you need... larger turbocharger has a lot more do it yourself... either that or open your wallet.

cressida_pimpin
11-01-2004, 05:14 PM
ya see, whats happining is my parents are taking out a line of credit under their name for me so i have to buy a cheap car and put stuff on it cuz i can only take out like 8000, im thinking i might be able to afford a nissan 240sx or maybe if i get lucky a 89 skyline. but the car that i would turbo would definatly be a nissan. what u guys think bout sr20s? how are the turbos that come on them
thanks

finboy
11-01-2004, 06:04 PM
240 is quite common, so are sr20's, that would be a decent choice.

Jason Lange
11-01-2004, 06:18 PM
It will cost you less to buy an already turbocharged car. Like an rx7, supra, 300zx, or one that has already been aftermarket turboed. Like a silvia or 240.

legendboy
11-01-2004, 06:19 PM
Custom turbo kits range in price. I've done kits from $2000 to $6000. I depends on what parts your using and if they are used or not. Also depends on how basic or fancy you want everything.

h22aseller
11-04-2004, 11:28 PM
just as a thought, if you want a car, and a turbo/motor swap, and you only have 8 grand, you won't be getting a really nice car, a sr20 swap will run you close to 2000 without labour and all the other pissy, shitty, things that should work but just wont issues that come along with it. and a good turbo setup will cost at least 2 grand as well without the aforementioned shit. modding a car is not easy, quite often it is not fun, and it never ever follows a budget. (you say, ok i'll spend 2000, and it works out to be 2500). a shady turbo setup will also seriously pull into question the reliability of your motor. im not trying to discourage you, but just keep this in mind. it really sucks to be halfway into a project only to find that there is something that needs to be done or can't be fixed without some serious funds or what have you.

legendboy
11-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by h22aseller
a shady turbo setup will also seriously pull into question the reliability of your motor.

Thats definatly untrue. At least when I build a kit cheap kit. Engine reliability is the same as if you spent 6000 on a kit :dunno:

kevdogg
11-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Look aroung i'm sure you could find a nissan with a SR20 already in it for under 8k.

Fuji
11-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by legendboy

Thats definatly untrue. At least when I build a kit cheap kit. Engine reliability is the same as if you spent 6000 on a kit :dunno:

Ya but it's only cheap cuz you built it all from scratch and built all the pipes headers etc. :rofl:

kevdogg
11-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Fuji

Ya but it's only cheap cuz you built it all from scratch and built all the pipes headers etc. :rofl: Whats wrong with building your own piping and manifold? If you know how, why not save some money and make it yourself? Its really not that hard.

bmeier
11-05-2004, 01:09 PM
turbo your cressida! a turbo supra engine fits right in there and it would be a sleeper.

legendboy
11-05-2004, 03:14 PM
no no if someone wants me to build them a super cheap turbo kit i can do the whole thing for 2000! I spent around 4000 just on parts and misc stuff + fabricated everything for my own kit!

rage2
11-05-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by h22aseller
a shady turbo setup will also seriously pull into question the reliability of your motor.
A $20,000 turbo motor setup can be bad for reliability too. It's all about the tuning, regardless if it's a $2000 kit or $10000.