PDA

View Full Version : A 4 cylinder in an RV??

DannyO
10-31-2004, 11:07 PM
I was talking to my buddy the other day about random shit and well I have a 464 V-10 engine in the RV and it has about 350HP and like 450Torque, could you swap in a 4 cylinder motor that was done up and turboed that had the same HP and Torque, and have it able to work the same, like still move the RV and drive it around?, I ain't gonna do this, I'm not that insane or have that kind of money, but is it possible?, am I missing something?, I don't see it not working, as long as it had the torque to get it moving.

Would be pretty funny when driving it around and somebody asks, "What size V-8 you got in that?"....."naa its a 1.8l Honda engine with a turbo"

3G
10-31-2004, 11:15 PM
Double-You Tee Eff?

DannyO
10-31-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by 3G
Double-You Tee Eff?

Yea I know, its a stupid post, but just one of those things I had to ask, I'm the product of long nights and lots of beer, so I come up with some crazy shit now and then.

GTS Jeff
10-31-2004, 11:28 PM
hehe theres really no replacement for displacement. sure u could get those numbers on some tiny honda motor, but thatd be tough to make reliable enough to haul u around the country, and itd still also have issues with turbo lag and a really unuseable powerband.

plus think about the kind of crazy tranny u would need to build from scratch.

JCX
10-31-2004, 11:33 PM
The reason they use large engines in RVs is torque. You'll never accomplish that kind of low end on a 4 cylinder. Period.

I'm embarassed that I even posted this.

DannyO
10-31-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
hehe theres really no replacement for displacement. sure u could get those numbers on some tiny honda motor, but thatd be tough to make reliable enough to haul u around the country, and itd still also have issues with turbo lag and a really unuseable powerband.

plus think about the kind of crazy tranny u would need to build from scratch.

LOL....yea, was just thinking if it would be possible, I know it would be stupid and have issues, this could be something for one of those TV shows, like Monster Garage.

benyl
10-31-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by JCX
The reason they use large engines in RVs is torque. You'll never accomplish that kind of low end on a 4 cylinder. Period.

I'm embarassed that I even posted this.

As it has been said... no replacement for displacement...

Just get a bigger 4 banger. I have 300 lb/ft of torque with a fairly flat curve.

Rage's Porsche has more I am sure, so it can be done with a 4 banger.

DannyO
10-31-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Just get a bigger 4 banger. I have 300 lb/ft of torque with a fairly flat curve.

What is it you drive?

JCX
10-31-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by benyl

I know 4 bangers can produce good torque #'s, seeing an SRT-4 throw over 300 wheel TQ down proved that to me. But you'll not replicate the instant usable low end torque of a large V-8 to get an RV moving.

A turbo Honda RV is amusing though, seeing it rev to 8000. :tongue:

JCX
10-31-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by DannyO

What is it you drive?

He has an STi. :thumbsup:

Arthur Dent
10-31-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by JCX

I know 4 bangers can produce good torque #'s, seeing an SRT-4 throw over 300 wheel TQ down proved that to me. But you'll not replicate the instant usable low end torque of a large V-8 to get an RV moving.

A turbo Honda RV is amusing though, seeing it rev to 8000. :tongue:

sure you could - FIAT built a 12L 4 banger engine back around 1915. Granted it only revv'ed to 800rpm but I'll be there was a butt load of torque - not the smart way to go but it could be done with enough money and stupidity!

benyl
11-01-2004, 12:39 AM
They built some cool shit way back when. If you want torque, get a diesel. :thumbsup:

Fluidic
11-01-2004, 01:38 AM
I think you would be able to do it -- but the motor would be throwing off lots of heat. Along with an intense tranny, you would need a kick-ass cooling system made and designed for the application.

Dj_FL!PSW!TCH
11-01-2004, 04:29 AM
yea man, the question makes sense, the only problem with that setup would be you'd have to rev the fuck out of it to get it to move, you'd have to probly boost 30 psi just to get it moving with a really high stall torque converter. low RPMs, plus lots of boost = detonation. so it would be hard to pull it off and make the power at the right point. but then again, 300whp is not much at all, with a 2 litre, lots of power and a really heavy ass flywheel, you could get the thing moving and accelerating pretty good, RVs don't weight that much. getting a small displacement engine to move a 18 wheeler is a different story tho.

Xtrema
11-01-2004, 09:06 AM
Just make sure your 1st few gears are VERY tall!

DannyO
11-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, cleared up some things in my head that I was thinking, I forgot about how much you would have to rev it to get a good amount of torque to move something like that.

benyl
11-01-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Just make sure your 1st few gears are VERY tall!

I hope you mean short.;)

rice_eater
11-01-2004, 11:18 AM
busses use 4 cylinder engines...16L 16 valves if i remember right

theken
11-01-2004, 01:14 PM
4 cylinder deisels

DannyO
11-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by rice_eater
busses use 4 cylinder engines...16L 16 valves if i remember right

Oh dam really, I thought they were V-10s aswell, or minimum V-8s, I knew they would be a deisel engine but a 16l 4 cylinder.

How come they went with this type of engine?

benyl
11-01-2004, 02:37 PM
I believe that some of the older 18 wheelers have 6 cylinder diesels.

rice_eater
11-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by DannyO

Oh dam really, I thought they were V-10s aswell, or minimum V-8s, I knew they would be a deisel engine but a 16l 4 cylinder.

How come they went with this type of engine?

no idea, but just imagine the size of a 4L slug :eek:

Dj_FL!PSW!TCH
11-01-2004, 04:29 PM
some huge oil liners are moved by 4 cylinder engines, huge 4 cylinder engines tho. I"m pretty sure the question was about a small displacement 4 cylinder tho.

1badPT
11-01-2004, 04:43 PM
If you have a long enough stroke, you don't need a lot of cyclinders. :dunno:

Think of a lever, longer levers give you more torque, but you have to move them further to move your object. With a crankshaft, a longer stroke means more torque but the tradeoff is the cylinders have to move further per revolution of the engine (which translates into a lower redline).

Zero102
11-01-2004, 07:24 PM
I thought busses used I6's, since they have no first or second order harmonics. But if they use I4's, that would explain the vibrations, lol.
Most big trucks use I6's. The company my dad works for has a truck with a 20.8L I6 diesel. Each cylinder has more displacement than my whole engine....

CelicaST-162
11-01-2004, 07:38 PM
Busses use I6's as well as trucks I6's. However the small trucks such as those Hino's, Mitsubishi Fuso's and the older GMC cabovers use 4 cylinder turbo diesels. I have never heard of busses using 4 cylinders, just I6 or V6, did you know those older GM busses have the Detroit diesels with a huge blower!:nut:

gorillam
11-01-2004, 07:42 PM
HELL NO,

there wouldnt be enough torque down low where you need it to budge that rv...

You can try it but it wont go no where....

Absolutely not

gorillam
11-01-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Dj_FL!PSW!TCH
some huge oil liners are moved by 4 cylinder engines, huge 4 cylinder engines tho. I"m pretty sure the question was about a small displacement 4 cylinder tho.

This has nothing to do with "GAS" 4 cylinders.

Look at the formula for torque vs h/p

Those are DIESEL 4cylinders and they make massive torque, they only rev to around 3000 rpm, sometimes redline at 2000...