PDA

View Full Version : Jeep can hold it's own.

Phuqu
10-31-2004, 11:10 PM
http://www.dcxmediaservices.com/videoptrs/wms/dctv/Oct04/Jeep_Comp_300k.wvx

tc3
10-31-2004, 11:36 PM
Very cool Vid!!
The new jeep's impressive

dieselpower91
11-01-2004, 01:32 AM
Cool video, anyone else notice that for the 70-0 braking they used an Acura RSX instead of the BMW? Maybe the BMW outstopped the Jeep?:rofl:

Impressive numbers though, but in my opinion the Hemi is still over rated and just a marketing ploy!

DreammEr
11-01-2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by dieselpower91
Cool video, anyone else notice that for the 70-0 braking they used an Acura TL instead of the BMW? Maybe the BMW outstopped the Jeep?:rofl:

yea i saw that haha weird....
i saw sumtime like this from a commercial on tv just now too :bigpimp:

ryder_23
11-01-2004, 01:41 AM
wow impressive :thumbsup:

7thgenvic
11-01-2004, 02:06 AM
makes me want my jeep back :( o wait i have a 87 as a winter beater! wooooooooooooooooo, those new ones are AWESOME

wonder if those other cars were all auto's
i bet ya the results would have been different!

benyl
11-01-2004, 02:25 AM
This isn't news, but the HEMI is a marketing ploy. The new Hemi isn't a Hemi at all. Honda engines are more hemispherical than the new dodge engines.

That is still great performance for such a heavy vehicle... wonder how much gas it guzzles to do that... haha

I am totally betting the BMW out braked the Jeep... maybe they just wanted to make the Honda look really bad... haha.

Ashkente
11-01-2004, 03:57 AM
Uhh..the new HEMI is a hemi, so to speak...although not one in the traditional sense. The old hemi was a perfectly spherical head, while the new one has the sides filled in a bit. What this does, is it provides quench area for detonation resistance, and allows them to run higher compression (combined with the twin plugs as well; in a hemi head, the plugs are generally off center to maximize valve size. This affects flame propagation when there's only one plug on one side of the head.) Also, any Honda engine that has 4 valves/cyl will be some sort of pentroof design..."real" hemi's only have, and only ever will have 2 valves/cyl. :thumbsup:

VinE
11-01-2004, 08:37 AM
Comparing a 5.7 to a 1.8T and a 2.5...

Very american indeed..

:dunno:

EDIT: Im guessing the Audi is an 1.8..

benyl
11-01-2004, 09:02 AM
yes, the Audi is a 1.8T with an Auto transmission no less.

VinE
11-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by benyl
yes, the Audi is a 1.8T with an Auto transmission no less.

AUTO?!? Bahahahahahaha:nut:

They sell those with auto's?

:rolleyes:

ZorroAMG
11-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Yeah the BMW probably beat the Jeep in braking...still pretty damn impressive power and braking from the new Jeep though....

1badPT
11-01-2004, 11:35 AM
Indeed - when you can compare road performance of an SUV to a sports car, that's pretty impressive. So what if the cars are autos, so is the Jeep. Also the difference in power accounts for the difference in weights. The thing I've always hated about sharing the road with SUVs is they can't stop for shit. Now here's one that can.

:thumbsup:

FiveFreshFish
11-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I am totally betting the BMW out braked the Jeep...
I would have more respect for Jeep if they showed the BMW winning the braking test instead of substituting the Acura. Makes me question the rest of the test "results." There's nothing wrong with the Jeep coming in 2nd place in ONE category but those marketing bastards got too greedy. :thumbsdow

Originally posted by VinE
Comparing a 5.7 to a 1.8T and a 2.5...

Very american indeed..
:werd: Notice that 3 out of the 4 tests are straight-line accerlation? No skidpad or slalom testing. WTF? I'm sure the Grand Cherokee came in 3rd (or 4th if you include the Acura) in all the testing they DIDN'T show.

Pure marketing :bullshit:

1badPT
11-01-2004, 04:55 PM
^OOH damn evil company - they didn't show how a SPORTS CAR could outhandle an SUV?? [You're right, that is BS!] :thumbsup:

Chester
11-01-2004, 04:56 PM
Yah that was kind of funny how the 325xi was suddenly replaced by a RSX...They should of just left the 325 in there, who cares if it doesn't beat it in braking, its a SUV.

FiveFreshFish
11-01-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
^OOH damn evil company - they didn't show how a SPORTS CAR could outhandle an SUV?? [You're right, that is BS!] :thumbsup:

Well if Jeep is going to show how it dominates acceleration and braking in a SPORTS CAR domain, why not handling? So once again, they are only using what suits their marketing campaign.

1badPT
11-01-2004, 05:43 PM
and thats different from any other company's marketing in what way exactly??

DJ Lazy
11-01-2004, 05:50 PM
No matter what they did for there marketing campaign of the new jeep.... it was still pretty damn impressive.... 1/4 mile was surprizing...

Phuqu
11-01-2004, 05:54 PM
I found it amazing that they did all 3 at the same time only a few feet apart instead of one at a time.

Good visuals.

badseed
11-01-2004, 06:01 PM
Very Impressed if I do say so myslef. I agree the 325xi should of been left in. Jeep off the line :thumbsup:

FiveFreshFish
11-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
and thats different from any other company's marketing in what way exactly??

You're right...it isn't any different. I'm just pointing out things that I dislike about THIS particular ad campaign.

Kamen
11-01-2004, 06:19 PM
The Audi is an auto? It looked like it jerked big time when it was upshifting for the 0-60 run.
And that's lame how the switched out the BMW for the RSX...it should be the same cars...

civic_stylez
11-02-2004, 09:35 PM
no doubt an impressive video... but i still think a jeep belongs in the bush with a load of mud on it, how it performs in the 1/4 mile wouldnt be a deciding factor to help me buy one..its how it handles the trails and extreme driving conditions...but nobody cares about off roading capabilities anymore..look at the people driving h2s now, never seen a trail in their life, what a waste!...just a pointless opinion.

1badPT
11-02-2004, 10:00 PM
its true - jeeps still reign supreme in the offroad arena, but no one gives a shit about that anymore - thats why they have to show jeeps beating sports cars in order to get people to buy them. And it probably doesn't matter anyways since most people who buy them don't go offroading in them anyways. :dunno:

Rav4Guy
05-11-2005, 12:14 AM
jeeps.... are not supreme in the offroad arena anymore.. reliability issues with the heeps.. i mean.. jeeps have just been horrible.

T-Dubbs
05-11-2005, 12:30 AM
we own a 2002 grand cherokee, and i love the torque and power that it has, it still blows 90% of cars away in first gear

Rav4Guy
05-11-2005, 12:39 AM
why do people compare suvs vs. cars? suvs are not designed for the tracks... nor autox... and yes... your GC would blow away 90% of the cars in first gear.... what about the rest of the gears? what about other suvs?

and this thing with the hemi... good marketing... like the ipod shuffle.. but still.. not new technology.

T-Dubbs
05-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Rav4Guy
why do people compare suvs vs. cars? suvs are not designed for the tracks... nor autox... and yes... your GC would blow away 90% of the cars in first gear.... what about the rest of the gears? what about other suvs?

and this thing with the hemi... good marketing... like the ipod shuffle.. but still.. not new technology.
acaully ryan, the jeep has a better 0-30 than most sports cars, i dont know what it is, but its quick. after second gear hit, u dont have the initial torque.

the jeep has the lowest 0-60 for any american SUV to my knowledge