PDA

View Full Version : Brakes.

eb0i
11-01-2004, 04:33 AM
I bought my car last year in August so my car is a little over 1 year old (14 months to be exact). I mostly drive in the city and have only taken it to banff, edmonton and invermere once in the time I've owned it. I don't ride the brakes either, or do I slam the brakes when I need to stop.

So here's the situation/question. I took my car into Honda West for a Type 2 maintenance and also to get my sunglass holder fixed under warranty. When I picked my car up later in the day they told me that I had 0% left on the front and that I needed to changed them immediately (before I took the car). I decided not too because I found it odd for several reasons. One reason is that I have never heard them squeel/squeek at any given time and I've only had the car for a little over a year and for my front brake pads to have be completely gone in that time seems unrealistic to me.

I took the car home and visually inspected it and compared it to the back brakes which Honda West said had 40% remaining. And it looked to me that the front brake pads had about half of what the rear pads had.

My questions are:

1./ Is it unusual for my front brake pads to deteriorate this fast (14 months)?

2./ Is my visual and auditory inspection enough?

3./ If not should I just get it inspected somewhere else for a second opinion?

4./ What is a fair price for getting front brake pads done (Honda West quoted at $190 + service + tax which I think is steep)?

5./ Are they just trying to screw me?

Thanks.

autobodygal
11-01-2004, 06:48 AM
Depending on mileage, your front pads could be worn out. Although unlikely they would be worn to 0%. They have brake wear indicators that would have squealed to let you know that they were wearing out.

Get a second opinion, some places do free inspections. No your visual inspection isn't enough. Price, I live in Regina, so it seems steep to me but I can't really tell you for sure. You will know if they are trying to screw you when you get your other answers.

GTS Jeff
11-01-2004, 07:56 AM
go measure how much pad u have left (in mm) and come back and tell us.

eb0i
11-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
go measure how much pad u have left (in mm) and come back and tell us.

okay.