PDA

View Full Version : Rx-7 in winter okay??

English_leather
11-01-2004, 05:04 PM
Hey, I need to know if it's opkay to drive the rx-7 in winter. I know it has a sub-zero starting fluid reservoir, but I heard that the tips of the rotor could break...? I just don't need any problems, if that's the case, i'll just not drive it until spring...also, does it have an outlet for a block heater? could I use a magnetic one?

KoukiS14
11-01-2004, 05:10 PM
:rofl:

Yeah id keep that baby parked man, it could blow up

BumpinTalon
11-01-2004, 05:35 PM
my friend's RX-7 siezed when he tried to cold start it. Plug it in and it should be okay - but if it freezes you shouldn't mess with it. It cost him $900 in parts and he fixed it himself (he said it was super-easy) but if you can't fix it in your own it would probably be around $2k to fix your motor if you sieze it like he did.

TypeS
11-01-2004, 06:25 PM
yikes! is this a common rotary problem??

Zero102
11-01-2004, 07:26 PM
If you have a block heater, you'll be alright. There's tons of guys that drive them through the winter.
Hit up rx7club.com for some more insightful opinions.

shadow
11-01-2004, 08:37 PM
Haven't heard about rotories freezing like this before... I have not had any problems... this is the first I heard of the rotor tip... breaking due to the cold.... do you mean the apex seals?

Most rotories should be fine in winter.. but I suppose if the apex is weakened already the rapid heating and cooling can't be great for it... but... I have seen many other rotories used as daily drivers in the winter...

You should be alright if you allow for proper warming up periods... before driving if it is really cold.. I guess you could run into problems in very cold weather... not waiting for engine to warm up... in conjunction with turbocharging.

It was mentioned before though... if it sounds like it is choking when starting it... do not force it too much... get it somewhere warm before starting it up.