PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions about fixing a car....

notpatrickduffy
11-01-2004, 08:00 PM
So, I got a 91 Passat GLS (inline 4 2 literish) like 4 months ago, bought for 3 grand, in quite good condition, and the timing belt broke while I was driving it a few days ago. It was towed to Crappy tire. I figured, they would put a new one in, and happiness forever.

Well, turns out when timing belts break, other shit breaks too. The guy said the valves are bent, or something, so it's like a 2500 rebuild of the engine, or 5 grand for a new engine.

So, what I'm asking is, does that sound about right (for the costs)? And what should I do?

Should I fix the engine? Buy a new engine? Get a new car? Whats some suggestions?

Sorry, I guess its not really exciting fast car talk, but I do need some solid advice. Thanks guys.

FiveFreshFish
11-01-2004, 08:05 PM
You need to remove the head to assess how much damage there is. Might not be as bad as you're led to believe.

ZorroAMG
11-01-2004, 10:27 PM
Please tow your car to southcentre fine cars or as far away from Can Tire as possible to assess.

Thanks.

SaabKraft
11-01-2004, 11:21 PM
this summer was quoted 1300 for a new head gasket when all i needed was a coolant fan relay. get a second opinion for sure.