PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Head?

Zoom_Zoom
11-02-2004, 12:10 AM
I am looking at buying a 88 Prelude. The timing belt snapped and the guy said it needs a new cylinder head? What is this? Is it lik ethe hole head? How much am I looking at getting this fixed?

africano
11-02-2004, 02:03 AM
Might be cracked/warped. I dunno a wrecker might have one so call around.

rice_eater
11-02-2004, 06:27 AM
you never know if it really needs a new head or not...i mean, the dude might have read about it on here and was mislead into believing that every time the timing belt goes so does the head :rolleyes: compression and leak down tests are your friends so do one of them

3G
11-02-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by rice_eater
you never know if it really needs a new head or not...i mean, the dude might have read about it on here and was mislead into believing that every time the timing belt goes so does the head :rolleyes: compression and leak down tests are your friends so do one of them

Can you do that without starting the car? The timing belt snapped so you can't really start it can you?

(that was me posting on Zoom_Zoom's account)

africano
11-02-2004, 01:32 PM
yeah you can do a leak down test without starting a car. But if your timing belt went then they prob took the head apart. The timing belt controls valve event so if it goes the valves open at all the wrong times, thus most often the piston runs right into your valves. Bad for piston, bad for valves.

That's why you change your timing belt every 80-100,000 kms.

Leak down test will tell you where the cylinder is leaking from, not what broke or not.