PDA

View Full Version : Weightlifing routines?

Jasmyn
11-02-2004, 12:04 PM
Many people weight lift differently and do different routines or setups for workout. I've been trying to tone up a little bit on my legs and arms. I haven't worked out my back or shoulders, but I may start if I find a good routine. I'm always looking for improvement in workouts.

anyone have any suggestions?

1badPT
11-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Well, there are a lot of ways to tone up - some will say do cardio till your blue in the face - it won't add any muscle mass but it will get rid of fat.

Or you can do weight training which will add mass - and the extra muscle will increase your metabolism to the point where you'll reduce your body fat passively.

Combine your workout with a low carb diet and you should find your body fat % will drop even faster.

A bunch of us here are having a competition on a private forum - we keep each other motivated and share ideas - you're welcome to join if you like:
http://www.thegatheringpoint.com/forum/

The fitness threads are hidden until your account is activated so use the same name as here, once I have you activated, you'll be able to see the fitness part of the forum.

TrevorK
11-02-2004, 12:41 PM
Well, since you're just looking for ideas, here's a general one:

Day 1: Legs/triceps
Squats
Leg Extensions
Leg Curls

Tricep Pulldown
Closegrip Bench
Lying Tricep Extension

Day 2: Shoulder/Back
Seated Row
Pullups
Bent Over Row

Military Press
Lateral Raise
Upright Row

Day 3: Chest/Biceps
Flat Bench
Incline Dumbbell Press
Decline Bench

Barbell Curls
Preacher's Curl (Dumbbell)
Dumbbel Curl

Then do abs with your cardio.

tsi_neal
11-02-2004, 06:23 PM
keep in mind that strong shoulders will help you lift more with your arms... and are the shape of the top of your bicept.

basically if you want to do some but not all your wasting your time, even if you do less per muscle but hit all the major stuff youll be ALOT better off than if you just work legs and arms.

badseed
11-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Focus on large muscle groups if your a beginner. Ex. Back, chest, legs. This will indirectly utilize and tone your smaller muscle groups. For example back exercises in general involve the biceps, chest exercises utilize the triceps etc. You'll see more gains by working large musle groups (hittin 2 birds with 1 stone) and expend more calories. This is what I would reccomend for a beginner weight trainer.

davidI
11-02-2004, 10:35 PM
I'd do what Trevor suggest but do Chest/Tri's and then Legs/Bi's or better yet back/bi's and mix it up.

Chest excercises often involve a lot of tricep work and back excercises can utilize a lot of biceps strength.

cboyspimp
11-03-2004, 12:36 AM
mix it up.. if one set of mucles gets real tired let them rest and work a few sets of something else.. if your used to it its the best way to go..

cboyspimp
11-03-2004, 12:37 AM
oh yah if you wana get toned in your legs and ass.. allot of girls i know run backwards on the eliptical machines seems to work good for them.. those machines will lean you out..

Jasmyn
11-03-2004, 09:21 AM
The only thing I'm worried about is when I work out my legs, I do leg extensions, leg curls, leg press, and run, but my left knee always pops and feels like it's going to pop out of place. I've never had a problem with it when I was in school with Track and Weightlifting. So I am trying not to push myself to much, but once I get started I don't stop till I burnout.

Jasmyn
11-03-2004, 09:24 AM
I want to gain muscle mass along with tone up. But I think it's going to be hard for my upper thighs because that's the only place that's not really toned. That and I don't want to turn out to look like one of those muscle models... *shudders* Some of them have more muscle than most men I know.

davidI
11-03-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Jasmyn
That and I don't want to turn out to look like one of those muscle models... *shudders* Some of them have more muscle than most men I know.

That seems to be a common fear amongst women. Thing is that it's not 'just that easy' to look like those women. That would be 2 years of hard training and dieting that I've never known any women who could accomplish! Do everything you can and I guarantee you won't/can't look like that - if you do, all the more props to you! All I'm saying is it's not like you'll instantly go to muscle....you can guage your progress and change up your routine accordingly based on your goals. I'd hit the weights hard for a while though and once you have sufficient 'bulk' hit the cardio really hard and it will tone those new muscles up nicely!

Jasmyn
11-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Sounds like a plan. I'll be going to the gym everyday for the next 3 months or so... that should make a bit of an impact. That and swimming laps everyday.

Thanks for the advice David, and everyone else! :)

TrevorK
11-04-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Jasmyn
I want to gain muscle mass along with tone up. But I think it's going to be hard for my upper thighs because that's the only place that's not really toned. That and I don't want to turn out to look like one of those muscle models... *shudders* Some of them have more muscle than most men I know.

You can't spot reduce weight - so that fat will be there until you shed it off.

If you have a hard time getting rid of it, there are certain topical fat burners that contain Yohimbine and can help you shed off that last layer of fat you can't seem to get rid of.

As well - squatting and lunges are really good for toning your ass, which is what most girls have as one of their goals.

teamPRO
11-06-2004, 03:07 PM
i say you dont go on a low carb diet. you will lose energy and end up feeling burnt out. run on a treadmill at a suitable speed for you for about 30 mins. then lift light weights to build muscle tone and shape.

cboyspimp
11-06-2004, 04:36 PM
do the eliptical backwards.. make your ass the envy of other girls in north caroline.. trust me it works.. get that ass TIGHT girl..