PDA

View Full Version : Another sushi question

sexualbanana
11-03-2004, 12:51 AM
My mom was saying that because of the nature of sushi (raw fish), eating too much is a bad thing.

She just brought it up because I've been fiending on it lately, usually once sometimes 2 or 3 times a week.

Scandalous
11-03-2004, 01:14 AM
The Japanese have a long life span, maybe fish and tea has something to do with it.

Impreza
11-03-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Scandalous
The Japanese have a long life span, maybe fish and tea has something to do with it.

except most of the fish we eat is raised in hatcheries isnt it? Well I know most of the salmon is. Don't they feed salmon those pellets filled with pcb's?

Scandalous
11-03-2004, 01:23 AM
Depending on the sushi you eat, most sushi joints only buy quality fish. Sushi is totally different if made with cultured fish.

Kaos
11-03-2004, 01:44 AM
Depending on the sushi you eat, most sushi joints only buy quality fish. Sushi is totally different if made with cultured fish.

How do you know for sure most sushi "joints" buy quality fish?
For all we know they could be saving money buying just regular fish and not cultured fish.

boostless
11-03-2004, 02:31 AM
certain kinds can b bad coz of biological amplification for mercury, not as bad as shark tho
that and excessive rice isnt too too smart, itll count towards ur grain servings, but carbs will add up
as long as the place has fresh fish ur ok, if its raw and left out itll obviously hurt u

B17a
11-03-2004, 08:59 AM
Pick your poison man, its either going to be hormone/steroid laced beef, ditto for chicken or pcb filled fish!

Scandalous
11-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Just ask the Sushi Chef...

sillyd
11-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Not all sushi contains raw fish. Maybe you're thinking of sashimi

t-im
11-03-2004, 06:39 PM
^ umm, most sushi is raw..their are some that are steamed..but for the majority..

GTS Jeff
11-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
My mom was saying that because of the nature of sushi (raw fish), eating too much is a bad thing.

She just brought it up because I've been fiending on it lately, usually once sometimes 2 or 3 times a week.

raw food is usually more nutritional cuz its not molested by cooking. the only typical threat is microbial contamination, which isnt a big deal with sushi fish.

its more likely due to their lack of INSANE FAT INTAKE.

Originally posted by Impreza

except most of the fish we eat is raised in hatcheries isnt it? Well I know most of the salmon is. Don't they feed salmon those pellets filled with pcb's?

:werd: someone that knows something! farmed salmon are fed pellets made of really cheap ground-up fish (which is often fish from industrially contaminated sources not fit for human consumption.) the pellets are chockful of organochlorine pesticides in addition to pcbs. heres a graph from a study on the issue.

sillyd
11-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by t-im
^ umm, most sushi is raw..their are some that are steamed..but for the majority..

True, in most sushi containing fish, the fish is raw. But there are many types of sushi made without fish at all.

topher91
11-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Sushi Grade fish (salmon, tuna etc) is wayyyyy different from fresh raw fish at say Superstore and Safeway.

I dare you to try to buy a fillet of salmon at superstore and make sushi from it.....yuuuukkk :barf:

Sushi grade fish are raised differently, some of the higher end
sushi places import the fishes too.