PDA

View Full Version : Re: Wastegate Issues?

90TSI
11-03-2004, 10:35 AM
Hey all. I drive a 90 Talon TSi and i am having some issues with which are seeming to be wastegate related. my boost guage on the guage cluster (not very reliable i know, but it's all i got) is registering lovely amounts of boost. If i have a window cracked, all i hear is air escaping from the wastegate i think? and it's as soon as i hit boost (2500-3000rpm). A trustworthy source has suggested checking my intercooler piping which doesn't seem to be the issue at all. If anyone has any ideas, the response would be appreciated.

EK 2.0
11-03-2004, 04:32 PM
Check all charge piping...not just the I/C piping...

and as well check vac lines...after time they will harden and crack cause boost leaks and the sound you are hearing...

and the "Boost Guage" on your cluster...please dont any any mind to it...there is no real boost source tapped to it...it makes estimates based on Throttle Position, RPM's, Air Flow and Speed...

JustinL
11-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Just to confirm, you are seeing full boost still? Is it just the sound you are concerned about? If you are makeing good boost, I would check the wastegate dump pipe to see if it's cracked and causing the noise.

Can you describe the noise a little better? hissing? loud exhaust?

2.0turbo
11-06-2004, 04:14 PM
If it was a leak in the intercooling pipe, you would be stumbling under loads of boost.

cboyspimp
11-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

and as well check vac lines...
ill bet my cash on that

Dick Starbuck
11-07-2004, 03:42 PM
Are you sure it isn't induction noise?