PDA

View Full Version : Custon Turbo KA24DE (S-14)

S-14 Fanboy
11-03-2004, 10:48 AM
Firs off, i would like to say that this is something that i have always wanted to do to my car......turbo-ing it. since i like my engine and don't want to swap in for an SR20, i have decided upon custom turbocharging my engine. (my end goal is 300 streetable horsepower.....but more is always better *laughs*)

I'm just gonna run a couple of ideas by everyone and get some feed-back;

-well first issue, custom, hand-made piping (turbo manifold, exhaust system). i'm talking about getting the pipes and welding it myself (done by a professional tho')?

-number two, how about like running an evo 3 turbo with an evo 8 'cooler (cheap and good for up to arround 350-400 hp i think)?

-next, what should i do about my engine internals? how much boost can i run with the stock engine internals? what should i change? do i even need to change anything? (this is where i get confused)
:confused:

-and lastly, engine management? AEM EMS i hear is the shit, but i might not have the money....what should i do if i don't?

Thanks in advance for the input, questions, and comments. most of all, thanks for the help.

boostless
11-03-2004, 11:06 AM
theres a few ppl on here w/ KA-Ts, itd be a good idea to start off by asking how they did it and wat kinda power/ mods it put down
good lcuk:thumbsup:

TypeS
11-03-2004, 12:31 PM
Way to go man, you'll feel so much more proud when you smoke an SR powered car with your turbo KA! as for the internals of the KA24 I've heard they aren't anything to complain about, but also not the best/most durable in any way, so If your upping boost over 8 or so psi it would be smart to have the car ready for it...as with any car.
What kind of info do you have on the Evo 3 turbo? You've got me interested.:D

EstoMax
11-03-2004, 12:32 PM
i would suggest going to the http://nicoclub.com/zeromain? forums and asking there, they have the biggest KADE-T forum around. there is a lot of info regarding these engines and 3rd party support is growing.
the will point u to sites with parts and also tell u what you will need

kadet power :D i plan on doin the same thing

:thumbsup:
max

edit: as for the internals, the rods are forged stock, pistons will need to be redone in the 300-350 whp range depending on tuning, those are the weak point, the rest will hold up fine, one ka24det site got 404 or something whp out of stock internals with their s13 actually. lookie here http://www.phatka-t.com/projectcars.htm

S-14 Fanboy
11-03-2004, 05:06 PM
TypeS, i hear that the evo turbos from the 3 to the 8 are essentially the same turbo........really good (well.....better than a stock KA's turbo!! *waits for either laughter or verbal assault*) Plus, the evo 3 turbos are dirt cheap, like in the range of 200-250 dollars here (i live in texas, in the u.s.) and they support up to 400 ponies (while the evo 8 intercooler supports up to 350 or so)

And for EstoMax, thanks for the sites and info! good luck with your own conversion!:drool:

.....now all i need is help with my EMS....

oh, and one more thing......cuz i know this is going to be a huge issue with what i am doing......traction????how wide can i run the wheels safely on the stock fenders? (i am going for that classic sleeper look to spook the shit out of the people that i race!!:rofl: )

EK 2.0
11-04-2004, 12:00 AM
send a PM to Boost Infested...he's got a KA-T...a sweet one at that...

Dick Starbuck
11-05-2004, 09:07 PM
Glad your deciding to boost your car:thumbsup: Even though your keeping the truck motor:D

I don't really know a hell of a lot about ka's so I'll let someone else help ya out with that one...I just wanted to say I'm proud of ya.

Custom manifolds are cool...Good luck, and post pics of it after its fabbed so we can all drool.

Evo III's had the biggest turbos btw.

Do you have 4 or 5 bolt? If you have 4 bolt there isn't a huge selection of rims that fit and look good...S14's can fit pretty wide wheels if you get the right offset, like 9.5" for sure on 17".

A good lsd is prolly the best thing you could do for traction though, especially if you have an open diff. If you have a factory lsd it should be good for a while. Choose one based on what type of driving you do most though. 1 or 1.5 way are prolly best for street. I have a 2 way and I think I would have chosen a 1.5 way if I was going to choose again.

S-14 Fanboy
11-06-2004, 01:38 PM
yep, yep. them truck motors are pretty torquey, that's why i like it.:D

my car has the 4-bolt pattern on it, so what should i do to get soe nice wheels on it?

as for lsd, i hear that the factory silvia diffs are pretty good, but i ain't sure (can any one either confirm or deny that?)

Thanks for the support guys.

Dick Starbuck
11-06-2004, 03:57 PM
The factory lsd's work fine. Just keep up on maintenance. They're viscous type and work by heating a fluid between plates causing them to lock up so both wheels go the same speed. Basically if you do lots of burnouts, donuts or drift the fluid will breakdown faster.

With s14's to change to five bolt you just have to change hubs and either get new rotors with 5 holes in them or take your old ones to a machine shop and get them to drill holes so it fits.

There are some rims that fit with the right offset with your existing pattern, you just have to look hard.

These rims come to mind as having proper fitment if you have 4 bolt:

5zigen fn01-rc
gramlights 57pro
buddyclub p1 racing 2.

5zigens are light and you can prolly find them for around $200 each US.

Boost Infested
11-06-2004, 04:49 PM
KAT? no dont do it, its a truck motor. JUNK! go SR. :D

Scat
11-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Boost Infested
KAT? no dont do it, its a truck motor. JUNK! go SR. :D

Sturdy block and relatively low compression make the KA pretty suitable for forced induction. Not to mention more displacement than the SR.

Boost Infested
11-06-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Scat

Sturdy block and relatively low compression make the KA pretty suitable for forced induction. Not to mention more displacement than the SR.

low? 9.5 - 1

Jason Lange
11-07-2004, 02:04 AM
Low enough if you can keep it cool enough.

ex1z7
11-09-2004, 12:29 AM
How much of a difference, boost wise, can KA24E and KA24DE take ? Opposing eachother, that is.. :)