PDA

View Full Version : Why are cops cracking down??

Taupe20
11-28-2002, 02:10 PM
The other day when I was coming home I got pulled over and got tickets for my side markers(34 dollars) and my muffler(69 dollars) why?? Just the othe day my friend got a ticket for all 4 clear corners!

G
11-28-2002, 02:14 PM
Side markers? What color are they?

redec
11-28-2002, 02:17 PM
end of month.....quota :P

Taupe20
11-28-2002, 02:17 PM
I have clear lights w/hyperwhite bulbs

Melinda
11-28-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by GSpot
Side markers? What color are they?

Probably not amber like they are supposed to be...

My friend got a 34$ ticket for his side markers and a 34$ ticket for his license plate light last weekend (neither of them worked)...kinda sucks, but my friend wasn't too upset...my brother who was with him was pretty mad though cause they were stupid tickets...only modification this guy has was that he was lowered...no ticket for that though

How loud is your exhust?

Melinda

Taupe20
11-28-2002, 02:22 PM
I have a 5Zigen fireball with no catilitic converter, i like snaped it off a few days a go and the guy who fixed my muffler told me to take off the cat and my muffler will sound better and for that I got a ticket! :poosie:

Hakkola
11-28-2002, 02:32 PM
Hey, where can I get clears for the front end of my car??? I already have semi-clears, but I think it'd look even better without that little hint of yellow at the very corner.

Stratus_Power
11-28-2002, 03:48 PM
that are doing a damn good job... you never know.. one day those clear corners can kill someone :rolleyes:

RickDaTuner
11-28-2002, 03:51 PM
well they say that the hyper white bulb blind people, and cause accidents i got a tickest once for having Hypers on my clear tailights, well actually my dad did whne he was driving my beast

Ben
11-28-2002, 03:56 PM
My Car is loud...I will get pulled over in due time. Why bother knock on wood, its inevitable.

Hakkola
11-28-2002, 05:39 PM
I think I saw 15 cop cars today, I only spent about an hour on the road, that's crazy.

MerfBall
11-28-2002, 05:44 PM
Yah sucks to get pulled over but you have to really look at your car and think is this really street legal. And if it isn't you can't really complain about getting the tickets ;). And there is a noise bylaw for exhausts. Even those old beaters can get a ticket for noise pollution (Don't think its all about rice).

Oh and I've talked to cops about getting pulled over so damn much in the NE and he basically said well if they see a young guy or gal drivin a nice car they will pull it over just to make sure its not stolen, because of the high theft rates.

04blackMAX
11-28-2002, 07:40 PM
side markers are legal, white or orange, id go see the jp...he will get rid of it

Melinda
11-28-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by vsmSIR
side markers are legal, white or orange, id go see the jp...he will get rid of it

I thought they had to be amber? :dunno:

Fluidic
11-28-2002, 08:00 PM
Man I've been speeding everywhere showing off my exhaust, taking corners at high-speed and generally always going 45km/h over the speed limit... and I get nothing. Granted I'm "happy" I haven't been getting any tickets... but shit... I've got this sense when I think a cop is around... and I'm generally right... LOL... just ask Melinda! LOL

Be safe out there... and remember... if they can't see you, then it's not illegal! :bigpimp: :angel: :bigpimp:

Peter

szw
11-28-2002, 08:51 PM
Words of a dumbass

redbaron303
11-28-2002, 09:15 PM
I was told that in Edmonton ( i'm sure it's the same for the rest of AB) that if your turn signals are any other colour other than amber or red-back and you are in an accident it's automatically your fault, because other colours are illegal. ( I think it has something to do wth colourblindness... maybe that's just a stupid guess). As for sidemarkers, I have blue led's on all four courners and I haven't been stopped for them yet... have a neon plate frame, tinted windows, and noisy exhaust, plus nasty blue headlights.... So far, so good. I say to stay out of sight of the cops you just need to drive reasonably and dont "act out" or they'll pull you over for fun.

redbaron303
11-28-2002, 09:16 PM
That reminds me, my turn signals are still amber, so they can't give me a ticket for side markers, because they aren't used as turn signals, they're constantly on and don't flash, which I was told makes them legal here.

Weapon_R
11-28-2002, 10:27 PM
What about VW who have factory side markets, in white and amber???

Melinda
11-28-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

I think they only come in amber, I think the white are aftermarket...Peter may be your best person to ask though...:dunno:

Mel

RiCE-DaDDy
11-28-2002, 11:13 PM
yea it sucks that u got tickets but u arent totally innocent, no cat?? you derserved that one, but the side marker one is kinda unclear

dont they mean that the light just has to be amber??

Fluidic
11-29-2002, 01:11 AM

My car doesn't have "amber" bumper markers/reflectors. Guess the CPS is out of luck when it comes down to wanting to ticket me! :D LOL

Peter

FiveFreshFish
11-29-2002, 02:07 AM

My Audi has factory white side markers (behind front wheels) but the bulb flashes amber.

In Canada and the U.S., late-model cars must have a side amber reflector on the front corners, but the front signal light can blink either amber or white.

In the pic below, the factory DOT headlights with the required reflector has been replaced by the European headlights that look much cleaner. I still run an amber bulb though.

MerfBall
11-29-2002, 10:59 AM
When in doubt check the Highway Traffic Act ;)

http://www.canlii.org/ab/sta/csa/20020815/r.s.a.2000c.h-8/whole.html

Here are some excerpts for the lazy fingers.

(7) When lamps are used for the purpose of indicating turns,
(a) they shall be mounted on a rigid part of the motor vehicle or trailer, other than glazing,
(c) the lamps showing to the front shall be located at or near
the front on the same level and as widely spaced laterally
as practicable and when in use shall emit a white or amber
light that is plainly visible from the front in normal
sunlight for a distance of at least 250 metres, and
(d) the lamps showing to the rear shall be located at the same
level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and
when in use shall emit a red or amber light that is plainly
visible from the rear in normal sunlight for a distance of at
least 250 metres.

Side marker lamps
33(1) A motor vehicle or trailer manufactured on or after January
1, 1971 shall, on and after January 1, 1981, be equipped with, on
each side of it,
(a) one amber side marker lamp as close to the front of the
motor vehicle or trailer, exclusive of the trailer tongue, as
is practicable,
(b) one red side marker lamp as close to the rear of the motor
vehicle or trailer as is practicable, and
(c) if the motor vehicle or trailer is greater than 9.2 metres in
length, one amber intermediate side marker lamp at or
near the midpoint of the motor vehicle or trailer
and the lamps shall be located not less than 0.4 metres above
ground level when the motor vehicle or trailer is unloaded.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1), a motor vehicle or trailer that
is greater than 9.2 metres in length and was manufactured before
January 1, 1971 shall be equipped so that it complies with the
requirements of subsection (1) on and after January 1, 1981.
(3) Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to a trailer that is less than
183 centimetres in length, including the trailer tongue.
(4) Subsection (1)(b) does not apply to a truck tractor.
(5) The lamps required by subsection (1) shall comply with any
other requirements and standards that are prescribed in the
regulations.

MerfBall
11-29-2002, 11:02 AM
Just a note I wouldnt necessarily challenge the cop at the time. Coz if he pulled u over to hassle u, challenging him will only make it worse. Just say "yes sir. thank you sir" and go see the JP or Crown Prosecutor.

Although I do have a friend that keeps a copy of the Traffic act in his car and when he challenges the cop, simply says "Can you show me where in the act it says this is illegal".:D

Taupe20
11-30-2002, 12:52 AM
Thanks guys i think I'm gonna talk to the crown , maybe he'll let me off..:dunno:

R-Audi
12-02-2002, 09:43 PM
Hey Five Fresh Fish, are you an AW'er? More so have you come out to the Cal. Audi meets? How did you wire the city lights on your Euro's?

HRD2PLZ
12-02-2002, 09:47 PM

The side markers on ours have a clear lense and amber bulb. The car came like this from the factory.

sexualbanana
12-02-2002, 10:15 PM
that's why i try to minimize the amount of excuses for cops to pull me over

FiveFreshFish
12-02-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Hey Five Fresh Fish, are you an AW'er? More so have you come out to the Cal. Audi meets? How did you wire the city lights on your Euro's?

Yup, I've been on AW for a few months and on AZ for about a year. Been to a couple of the Calgary meets organized by Qunicy... perhaps we've met before.

For the city lights, I've got a 5-pin relay in each headlight. The park light positive powers the city light and the relay triggers them off when the HIDs go on.

ecstasyracer
12-02-2002, 11:34 PM
They've been cracking down like that since the summer.

davidI
12-05-2002, 10:58 PM
(c) the lamps showing to the front shall be located at or near
the front on the same level and as widely spaced laterally
as practicable and when in use shall emit a white or amber
light that is plainly visible from the front in normal

so does this mean that you can have clear corners as long as the bulb is white or amber?

FiveFreshFish
12-05-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by davidI

so does this mean that you can have clear corners as long as the bulb is white or amber?

Yes, but to legally comply, you gotta have an orange reflector on the each side at the front.

///M Power
12-06-2002, 12:26 AM
I think they are cracking down because some police got killed by street racers in Vancouver in the summer.

MerfBall
12-06-2002, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by davidI

yes so long as ur corners are signals which most are.

bol
12-06-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by ///M Power
I think they are cracking down because some police got killed by street racers in Vancouver in the summer.

Exactly.

Call it profiling if you want, but it's pretty damn accurate profiling.

finboy
12-06-2002, 02:43 PM
way i figure, you do an illegal mod, you should take the responsibility for the ticket.

i have no cat, or secondary muffler and it is loud as hell. if i get a ticket for it, i'm not going to complain.

Silencer
12-07-2002, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by MerfBall

Although I do have a friend that keeps a copy of the Traffic act in his car and when he challenges the cop, simply says "Can you show me where in the act it says this is illegal".:D

:werd:
My thought exactly.

mrmattyk
12-07-2002, 05:02 AM
Some dude from Edmonton Journal wanted to interview me about *in an evil voice* "illegal street racing". I was like "yeah, i'll call you this day" riiiiiiight. I dont think telling him anything about street racing would help the current situation with the police. He'd probably take my words and twist them, supplying more anti-ricer propaganda.

How does this involve the police?

The Media is the basis of public opinion, since it informs the public. If I gave any more tidbit of bad press to "ILLEGAL STREET RACING" *lightning crashes and screams of horror are heard* the public would be more concerned. This would cause the police to look more into the issue.

I was talking to my Dad. Back in the day when he sported a mullet and had a GTO the cops gave him and all other kids with a fast car and bad hair lots of trouble and tickets too.