PDA

View Full Version : convincing parents

slayer2k3
11-04-2004, 02:06 PM
im trying to convince my parents to let me get a bike any recommendations on how to do this..i need some logically agruments n stuff :).. my mom is tottaly against it, but my dad owned a bike when he was younger(only had it for a little while), im a bike noobie so ive never ridden a bike before but i have been on dirt bikes quads and snowmobiles... they think that i will die if i get a bike .. and it doesnt help my mom knows someone that has died on a bike... ya im only 17 too.. any advice will be greatly appreciated i want a bike soo bad :S

finboy
11-04-2004, 02:08 PM
i would analyze WHY you want a bike first. i'm guessing because of your age you are wanting a sport bike.

wildkarrde
11-04-2004, 02:09 PM
Show some responsibility and sign up for a safety course with your own cash.
Buy the gear before hand.
Convince them that you wont get a (stupid) fast bike.

Melinda
11-04-2004, 02:14 PM
You've never rode a bike before but you want to drop a few thousand dollars and buy one? No oneder they dont want you to get one...do what wildkarrde said, sign up for lessons, MAKE SURE you can tell your parents why...if you cant come up with an argument then you shouldn't have one.

ryder_23
11-04-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by slayer2k3
im trying to convince my parents to let me get a bike any recommendations on how to do this..i need some logically agruments n stuff :).. my mom is tottaly against it, but my dad owned a bike when he was younger(only had it for a little while), im a bike noobie so ive never ridden a bike before but i have been on dirt bikes quads and snowmobiles... they think that i will die if i get a bike .. and it doesnt help my mom knows someone that has died on a bike... ya im only 17 too.. any advice will be greatly appreciated i want a bike soo bad :S

Wait till your a bit older, and more responsible. Try riding dirt bikes, getting some basic riding experience and learn the proper controls. Take a bike course. Make sure you have lots of road sense awarness, not only in a bike, but just in a car in general. Your 17, your stupid (no offense, we all were at that age), you just have to understand that bikes are extremly dangerous, not only for your actions, but you gotta account for other peoples mistakes, or you will wind up dead. There not a toy, and you just cant hop on one, and go warp 10 anywhere you want.

I had exact same problem as you, as i got older it went from not in your life time, to only when you move out, to now, if you buy it, you can have it :D...within time, they'll loosen up

slayer2k3
11-04-2004, 02:18 PM
ya im gonna be payign for my own saftey corses n such.. and yes i want a sports bike below 600cc

civicrider
11-04-2004, 02:20 PM
haha ive been trying to get a bike since i was 16 and still no go, as long as im in their house... so soon i'll have a bike yah!

slayer2k3
11-04-2004, 02:22 PM
and ya i want to buy a used bike not a new one, and my brother owns a little scooter so isnt it just as dangerous as a motorcycle minus the speed

Melinda
11-04-2004, 03:32 PM
and ya i want to buy a used bike not a new one, and my brother owns a little scooter so isnt it just as dangerous as a motorcycle minus the speed
He probably doesnt think he's as cool as you're going to on a sport bike and thus, less cocky attempts at driving and less chance of an accident

civicrider
11-04-2004, 03:38 PM
^
i dont know, you gotta be pretty cool cruizin on a scooter
:rofl:

Ed the SOHC
11-04-2004, 05:37 PM
tell them that you'll buy 1 million dollar life insurance on yourself and sell them on the house they can buy with that money. j/k.

don't convince them. just do it and pay everything yourself. if you pay for the bike, insurance, and gas they can't say no.

Ferio_vti
11-04-2004, 07:31 PM
^^
I agree, you don't convince them. Show some responsibility. Grow and be more mature.
Trying to convince them sounds about as mature as a 10 year old begging for a toy.

When I was 17, I didn't ask or beg to get a bike. My parents asked me if I was interested.

If you haven't already done so:
get a p/t job, save and manage your money
study and work harder in school
talk to your parents about your plans after HS, if you plan to go to Sait or University, etc.
stay out of trouble
etc.

Yah, sounds pretty lame, but as a 17 year old living at home, how else can you 'get the things you want'?? And its not just about getting a bike, but you'll learn to appreciate having your own ride and be able to rub it in your friends' faces.

[end character building blurb]

slayer2k3
11-04-2004, 11:00 PM
have done most of the above ^ and saving money when is the best timeof the year to buy a bike

project240
11-04-2004, 11:09 PM
have done most of the above ^ and saving money when is the best timeof the year to buy a bike

During the offseason (winter) is usually when you find the best deals because the market is low.

cboyspimp
11-04-2004, 11:29 PM
buy a hayabusa... thatll keep you in one piece for sure

SwitchBlade
11-04-2004, 11:36 PM
I was in the same posisition. I only recently aquired my motorbike licence. I would recomend taking riding lessons above all else.This is a MUST if you are seriously considering riding.

The most recommended schools in Calagry are Too cool and Calgary safety council. The course is $300 and includes the road test. You can get a feel of how a dirtbike, dual sport and street bike perform under controlled circumstances. The information they teach you is priceless.

I think the solution to your situation is to go in baby steps. Try the course first. See how you like it and take it from there. See if you can get one of your parents or close friends to take the course with you.

A motor cycle is a huge responsibilty, the fact is that as soon as you get on the road everything changes. You have to have the mindset that everyone is out to get you. I'm not trying to scare you it can be a very awesome time. Keep in mind that your parents are looking out for you. I doubt your parents or any of the other board members want to see you hurt.

I trust you have aquired a little bit of insight, if you have any questions feel free to PM me. I would also recomend the local motorcycle forum:

www.groundpilots.com

Good luck, :thumbsup:

Mike

in*10*se
11-05-2004, 10:33 PM
use your own money, buy, the lessons, buy the insurance, buy the licence, buy the registration, buy the bike, AND you NEED NO EXCUSES... it's your own money... that's what i did... so simple :thumbsup: if you can't beg for a car, then fuck it, beg for a car...

SkylineAdmirer
11-06-2004, 10:39 AM
guilt them into it:thumbsup:

HellfireR6
11-06-2004, 09:21 PM
maybe when ur 18?? or when ur more responsible.. u gotta gain ur parents trust, but with a bike no way in hell anyones parents gonna feel safe that their kid rides a bike...

so the other way of doin it is buyin the bike, they get mad for a while then get over it...

but still ride safe.... abd goodluck:thumbsup:

TypeSly
11-08-2004, 06:24 PM
17 yr olds were meant to kill themselves on sportbikes. This is why parents dont want their 17 yr old on a bike. I wanted a bike when I was 17, but if my parents let me... Guaranteed I wouldn't be here today. I barely made it through my raceboy phase :D

Get comfortable with traffic in all situtations with a car first, then get a bike when you're a little older & wiser. Just my $.02

Kobe
11-08-2004, 06:38 PM

This is what i did, saved for 3 years, working got like $6,000 saved right now, 17 also, i spend the $500 on the bike course and got my licence, my dad used to ride, and had a nasty accident, but his alright now, and my mom is totally against it, but i just told my mom i was going to buy all the equitment, and not get a stupid fast bike, and that im paying for it, shes still against it, but shes saying if im paying for it, she cant really do anything..

Originally posted by wildkarrde
Show some responsibility and sign up for a safety course with your own cash.
Buy the gear before hand.
Convince them that you wont get a (stupid) fast bike.

This is what you have to do first, I'd recommect Too cool motorcycle school

ya im gonna be payign for my own saftey corses n such.. and yes i want a sports bike below 600cc

I was gunna get a bike but winter came, so i picked up a car, and im gunna sell it after winter and buy a bike then,

Btw what school you go to?

finboy
11-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by TypeSly
17 yr olds were meant to kill themselves on sportbikes. This is why parents dont want their 17 yr old on a bike. I wanted a bike when I was 17, but if my parents let me... Guaranteed I wouldn't be here today. I barely made it through my raceboy phase :D

Get comfortable with traffic in all situtations with a car first, then get a bike when you're a little older & wiser. Just my $.02

:thumbsup:

i'd wonder what would happen to the # of bike related accidents if minimum age for a bike lisence was set to 25

SOAB
11-08-2004, 10:48 PM
screw the minimum age thing, how about graduated licensing? no bike over 250cc's for first year, then 500 for second year, then anything you want after that. but you have to actually own a bike for it to count....

think of how many less squidly's you'd see out and about.

dorr1
11-16-2004, 02:28 PM
well....i ran into this problem with my first bike.... i was 17 when i got my first bike. 18 almost 19 now. ive had 3 bikes..

explain to them how cheap the insruance is on these things. and that its not gonna break you. look at the advantages of a bike, cheap gas, cheap insurance...yah yah i know people die on them all the time. but that doesnt mean you will. i do stupid shit on my bikes and i havnt even crashed. not saying im invinsible, just saying not everyone dies or crashes.
bikes can be a good thing. for one they can manover very fast, meaning avoiding some objects or stopping quicker than a car.

it took some convincing, but i talk them into it. just promise to be repsonsible thats all. you can die in a car too.

do wut they said, pay for you courses and gear...that way they will know you are really serious about this and that you are going to be safe. its not you were worried about....its other people out there...people who dont pay attention or people who have a grudge against sport bike riders..or any riders at that...( us sport bike riders just have a worse rep.)

i started on a big bike, a 97 zx7R..i had never ridin anything but a BMX before that....i didnt take the course, or anything...i taught my self to ride...i took it easy and didnt push my limits, and did NOT fall fo rpeoples bull shit pressure. you dont need to do wheelies and stoppies to be cool. be alive, and ride a cool bike...tahts enough if you ask me.
i am not a big buy in the slightest way, so when people say dont buy a certain bike cause it has to much power...i wouldnt really listen, you can die jsut as fast on a 500 cc as you can on a 1000cc... just be smart, the powers there if you need it on a bigger bike. just take it easy at first.

i ride an R1 now, and i havnt had any insodences...my mom hates the thing, she knows how i stunt, and how i ride.

ok im all over the place here....morol is......just be honest, and show that you really want one. and dont be an idiot if you do get one. cause thats how things happen.

good luck!

dorr1
11-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by TypeSly

right sure get comfertable, but dont bring age into this...it has nothign to do with age...only maturity.

age means fuck all, so dont bring that into it. i know people who are in there 20's and getting there first bikes.....and have crashed already. im only 18? almost 19...ive been riding for just over a year, with no crashes...so dont bash the age. its all on the rider.....JUST MY 02!

TypeSly
11-17-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by dorr1

right sure get comfertable, but dont bring age into this...it has nothign to do with age...only maturity.

age means fuck all, so dont bring that into it. i know people who are in there 20's and getting there first bikes.....and have crashed already. im only 18? almost 19...ive been riding for just over a year, with no crashes...so dont bash the age. its all on the rider.....JUST MY 02!

Well, u still got lots of time to crash still then don't u? News flash: EVERYONE crashes or drops their bikes at some point. Young guys just seem to kill themselves more often when they do. If you haven't, then good for you. Keep riding safe! :)

VWbloke
11-17-2004, 07:04 PM
..i need some logically agruments n stuff :).. my mom is tottaly against it,...i have been on dirt bikes quads and snowmobiles...

Perhaps you want to graduate English 20 before you consider getting a bike. I shudder to think that there's the possibility I will be sharing the road with you on a crotch rocket. If you're too young to write properly, you're too young to be piloting a bike.

Just my two cents - or 'logically argument' if you will... ;)

i do stupid shit on my bikes and i havnt even crashed...

you dont need to do wheelies and stoppies to be cool...

my mom hates the thing, she knows how i stunt, and how i ride.

and dont be an idiot if you do get one. cause thats how things happen.

A lesson in contradictions.

us sport bike riders just have a worse rep

No, YOU give riders a bad rep, Squid.

:thumbsdow

MenteL
11-17-2004, 07:14 PM
sucks to be you i guess? my dad, mom, sister , little sister and I all ride, and this summer my 10yr old bro is goin dirtbikin with me :)

Just DO IT.......[/starsky+hutch]

MenteL
11-17-2004, 07:15 PM

age means fuck all, so dont bring that into it. i know people who are in there 20's and getting there first bikes.....and have crashed already. im only 18? almost 19...ive been riding for just over a year, with no crashes...so dont bash the age. its all on the rider.....JUST MY 02! :whocares:

MenteL
11-17-2004, 07:17 PM
[B]well.... I'd say get some proper spelling and grammar lessons before you kill yourself with stupidity.

slayer2k3
11-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by VWbloke

Perhaps you want to graduate English 20 before you consider getting a bike. I shudder to think that there's the possibility I will be sharing the road with you on a crotch rocket. If you're too young to write properly, you're too young to be piloting a bike.

Just my two cents - or 'logically argument' if you will... ;)

A lesson in contradictions.

No, YOU give riders a bad rep, Squid.

:thumbsdow
the bad grammer on the internet obviosuly shows ur responsiblity level on a bike right?(sarcasim) i really dont think spelling has alot to do with safely ridding a bike, along with bashing the age its not really necessary, thats sort of a sterotypical thing to say since im sure NOT all young driver/motorcyclists are irresponsible. im sure there are alot of young people that could be, along with alot of older "experianced" people that stunt and speed too.

SOAB
11-18-2004, 12:41 AM
fuck it man. just go buy a hayabusa and be done with it.

MenteL
11-18-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by SOAB
fuck it man. just go buy a hayabusa and be done with it. I'm leaning towards that direction too!.

I think he should go with a ducati 998, why not go out in style?

MenteL
11-18-2004, 12:47 AM
Mmmm Testastretta

V6-BoI
11-18-2004, 01:36 AM
I think trying to convince your parents to buy a bike is a lost cause. They will probably think it's too dangerous, and since you are still young, you will speed all the time, and possibly get yourself killed. I don't think you can really convince your parents on this issue, it's one of those things where you just buy it and don't tell them about it, haha. :angel:

autoBITCH
11-18-2004, 02:35 AM
there's some damn good advice given in here.... I totally agree with Switchblade and dorr1

i was in a similar situation as you, my dad used to ride so it didnt take much begging to convince him ... it was all about financial desputes.... on the otherhand, my mom kinda feared for my life haha... but i guess after buying some of my gear, inquiring about insurance, talking up a good deal on a brand new bike [free bike course and some free gear]... my mom realized how serious i was about it.. not to mention the fact that i brought my mom to see the bike and made her watch me sit on it and get fitted ... hehe...

but for the most part, i must say, it was most likely me and my dad's constant nagging about getting a bike that finally convinced her to let me buy one for myself! hehe.....

good luck though!!!!!

autoBITCH
11-18-2004, 02:38 AM
on the otherhand, you could do what my boyfriend and his brother did..... came home with the bike and a helmet.... then asked them if they wanted to see something outside.... brought them out and BAAMMM.... nothing the parents coulda done after that!!!

VWbloke
11-18-2004, 03:58 PM

im sure NOT all young driver/motorcyclists are irresponsible.

Nope, you're wrong. They all are. Honest.

dorr1
11-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by MenteL
I'd say get some proper spelling and grammar lessons before you kill yourself with stupidity.

speaking of killing your self.......give it a try :thumbsup:

djstefan
11-18-2004, 04:13 PM

speaking of killing your self.......give it a try :thumbsup:

:werd: :D

Gotta love "safety" freaks! Makes them feel superior to judge others... funny part is they usually end up crashing first.

Charon
11-18-2004, 08:14 PM
I agree with SOAB: Graduated licencing for those under a specified age. I never had trouble with my parents about getting a bike. Take note to the fact that I had been riding off road for more than 12 years before riding on the road. And then I rode a 250 dual sport for a year. I went over once(while riding the dual sport), because I was going too fast. But it was off road in a controled enviroment(should have just gone home and picked up the real dirt bike).

With so many horrible drivers, one can end up dead fast if you dont know how to handle the bike in a suprize situation. And with less experiance and more power the chance of you reacting quickly and being able to *control* the bike is low. Inexperiance and lots of CC's = a panic attack taking you for one hell of a surprize.
I feel with dirtbiking you learn to handle a bike in situations where fast thinking and needing to know how the bike will react is the difference between you eating dirt or going on to the next bit of fun. As *situations* on the street dont happen nearly as offten they are allways more dangerous. Stunting, going fast, generaly being a moron should only be done on closed courses where you wont hurt someone else.

Try getting a dirtbike first..... explain to your parents how much safer it is and you can learn how to handle a bike before you take it out on the street.

bmwboyz
11-19-2004, 10:01 AM
The way i convinced my rents, well it took a year and a bit before i got mine, but i bought my gear and then signed up for a started saftey course then once i got the biike i had an on street saftey course i went to before i was allowed to ride around freely. That teaches u alot, also seroiusly take it easy at first and i say who cares what everyone else says get a 600cc for a first bike if u want it and know u wont go ape shit crazy with it. but also gettin an experienced rider to go with is a great idea.

lilboykorea
11-19-2004, 01:40 PM
i got my f4 when i was 16, now after 2 years im on a r1,

i basically told my parents, i love it, i want to give it a try, after serveral crashes they wanted me to stop but they know my love for bikes and machines...

i dont think theres too many ways to convince ur parents, either ur parents are lenient about things or super strict(in this case just wait till u move out)