PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Timing

iceburns288
11-04-2004, 02:49 PM
I searched for this, sorry if it's been discussed.

Why do you need to do 'turbo timing' as I think y'all call it... when after you are ready to turn off your car you let it idle for a few minutes. Why is this so important? What happens if you don't do it?

QuasarCav
11-04-2004, 02:51 PM
If you shut the engine off right away there is no oil flow to the turbo and the oil in the centre section will coke up and screw the turbo.

I think it prolongs turbo life.

method
11-04-2004, 09:06 PM
most newer turbos dont suffer from the problem as much as older ones... but oil from the engine is whats cooling your turbo.

you drive the piss out of the car and heat that turbo up, then shut the car off immediately and prevent the oil from continuning to circulate until the turbo is cool(er)

just a preventative thing.

h22aseller
11-04-2004, 11:20 PM
a good turbo timer will take into account the stress the turbo has been put under and will keep the car running for an appropriate time in order to cool it off properly. there is two main reasons for this:

first, your turbo can get up to 900 degrees celcius or higher if you bag on it for a long time. most newer turbos are water cooled as well as oil cooled, but they still need to have that water and oil pumping through them for a while after you park the car otherwise the water can boil off, and the oil will bung up.

Second, the turbine shaft and blades do not have a whole lot of tolerance when it comes to expansion and contraction. in older turbos this could lead to the outer parts of the turbo cooling off too quickly and bending or cracking parts of the turbines. usually happened in really cold weather.

it is still a good idea to time your turbo down for a little bit after you have been driving like a jackass, as it will reduce the thermal shock your turbo, and entire motor will have to endure, small price to pay to reduce engine wear in my mind.