PDA

View Full Version : do-it-yourself touch up and windshield cracks?

Skyline_Addict
11-04-2004, 06:00 PM
hey,
i have one or two rock chips on my car (and some scratches from someone reversing into my car :banghead: ) and i was just wondering if do-it-yourself touch-up is recommended. if so, where do I get the materials to do this, what materials do i need, and what will I need to do? also, I have a pretty big windshield crap spanning over the bottom of my winshield....is that repairable? if so, where/how?

thanks

NiteRider
11-04-2004, 06:36 PM
try like clear glue, like super glue, to stop spreading
er i dunno....

ramminghard
11-04-2004, 06:52 PM
You can't repair the cracks but you can try to stop them. Drill a very small hole at the end of the crack. I would just get it done by a shop, its not that expensive.

Ferio_vti
11-04-2004, 07:14 PM
Take it to a windshield repair shop. I spoke to a shop a couple weeks back, and you can fix small cracks, say no longer than 3-4 inchs. They have a glue/plastic that is similar to the stuff used to repair rock chips, but is thinner to get into the crack.

Ryan@DerdallDesigns
11-05-2004, 04:16 PM
Get a fat diamond and score the crack on either end..this will stop it from spreading! But I guess if ya got a big fat diamond a new windshield wouldnt break the bank! but hey it works:thumbsup:

Skyline_Addict
11-12-2004, 06:43 PM
what about rock chips on the body?

Skylinelover
11-12-2004, 06:51 PM
^ Touch up paint.

ZorroAMG
11-12-2004, 07:20 PM
rock chips cost like 20$ to repair, just get it done professionally.

digitalshogun
11-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Definetly get it done by a pro. I tried to do it myself and it looks like ass. Could very well be my complete lack of talent here but I would suggest getting it done for you.

autobahncustom
11-30-2004, 08:29 PM
Go to a place called CrackMasters. They can fix cracks up to 36 inches long. I dont konw how good they look after but if you want it to stop spreading and to be safe again try them out. www.crackmasterscanada.com

?????
12-01-2004, 11:18 PM
for rock chips www.langka.com

Pipeline
12-23-2004, 03:50 PM
I took my ride to crackmasters this week. I had a crack starting in the bottom left of my windshield it was about 9 inches long. They stopped it from spreading and filled it in quite nicely. If you look close you can still see the crack, but if you are not looking you would not notie it. It cost me $50, well worth it in my opinion.

Weapon_R
12-23-2004, 04:03 PM
What about really long cracks...can they fill those too?

Hash_man
12-23-2004, 06:31 PM
What about really long cracks...can they fill those too?

The longer it is, the harder it is to fill it.

I worked at Windshield surgeons over the summer, and among the other stuff I did there, I did most of the chip and crack repairs. They basically use a resin to fill the crack or chip, and then a pit filler which can be found at the densits office, lol... and that is used to fill the spot where you drill with a very small drill bit.

I wouldn't do it yourself, especially because they have special tools for this kind of stuff, you would probably end up cracking your windshield worse if you didnt know what you were doing.

B2300mobile
12-31-2004, 02:29 AM
The guys who make Fix-a-flat (the yellow can) have a Fix-a-Windshield, its like 10 bucks in the states, and it works for holes but not spider cracks

Migs
02-03-2005, 03:30 PM
Great info guys! I'm from Calgary, but way the hell out here in Ontario for school, and LUCKILY there is ONE Crackmaster shop in the GTA. This means I get to fix the 3" crack in my windshield before it spreads and forces me to buy a new one!

Crackmasters is an Alberta company by the way ;)

Alberta f-ing rocks.

Migs

TII
02-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Thats a nice prelude in your sig there Skyline_Addict. To bad its not yours :(

Post up some pics of your damaged areas. Lets have a look at the areas that you say are damaged.