PDA

View Full Version : 97 integra gsr oil comsumption.

///M3
11-04-2004, 09:22 PM
K, my friend picked up a 97 gsr a while ago. Now he drives this thing pretty hard, prolly in vtec half the time hes driving.:D Well he got a brand new exhaust, and not to long after it was already black inside(couldnt see in the stock tip to notice anything before).
So we checked the oil, and it was down 2 the minimum line. He had an oil change about 3k ago. Iv heard about h22s consuming shit loads of oil, and that was normal. I also heard about vtec eating oil in any honda/acura. Now is this normal for a gsr?

and also, is it ok to use synthetic oil in a gsr. cuz its thinner then non sythetic so it will prolly comsume even more.:dunno:

thX

Kaos
11-04-2004, 09:32 PM
Wouldnt it be better to run Synthetic in a GSR?

91_Integz
11-04-2004, 09:52 PM
I don't run synthetic in my GSR. Mine uses oil like that too. I have a header, intake manifold and exhaust. I'd also like to know how to fix it.

I heard buying an aftermarket ecu might help? I dunno though

ls/vtec-crx
11-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by ///M3
K, my friend picked up a 97 gsr a while ago. Now he drives this thing pretty hard, prolly in vtec half the time hes driving.:D Well he got a brand new exhaust, and not to long after it was already black inside(couldnt see in the stock tip to notice anything before).
So we checked the oil, and it was down 2 the minimum line. He had an oil change about 3k ago. Iv heard about h22s consuming shit loads of oil, and that was normal. I also heard about vtec eating oil in any honda/acura. Now is this normal for a gsr?

and also, is it ok to use synthetic oil in a gsr. cuz its thinner then non sythetic so it will prolly comsume even more.:dunno:

thX

this is usually very normal, i have a 2000 type r with a new block from silverhill acura and after two oil changes (3000k each) it is now starting to consume some oil. it is alot worse in type r's from what i have heard from alot of type r owners. and also i don't use synthetic oil in my motor.

Originally posted by 91_Integz
I don't run synthetic in my GSR. Mine uses oil like that too. I have a header, intake manifold and exhaust. I'd also like to know how to fix it.

I heard buying an aftermarket ecu might help? I dunno though

an after market ecu will get rid of oil consuption. the only thing that i have looked at that would minimize minimal oil consumption would be like different types of oil. i have done some research and found out that Motul 300V is a good new oil that decreases oil consuption in honda high rev motors.

Gspotracer
11-05-2004, 12:00 PM
My 99 lude consumed a lot of oil if I drove it hard, switching from synthetic to regular helped, but didn't completly stop it from consuming oil.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the black on his exhaust may also be caused by too rich of air/fuel ratio, causing black smoke when the car is driven really hard in Vtec. Even Vtec engines with no mods seem to have quite a bit on black on the exhaust pipe.

CanadianR
11-05-2004, 04:50 PM
I have a '97 itr and it uses about 1-2 litres of oil per 5000k, always has since i got it and always will, i'm guessing. I'm pretty sure itr's are the worst vtec engine for oil consumption (I'm sure the fact that piston speeds at redline in this engine are higher than an F1 car has something to do with it), but it's not at all uncommon for vtec motors to consume some. There are a number of different reasons and theories for it, but it's no big deal as long as you don't mind buying a litre or two of extra oil per change. I've also tries a few different kinds of oil, including the Motul 300V, with no real difference in oil consumption. The black stuff around the tail pipe is because the vtec engines will run rich in the upper rpm ranges ie) vtec as a safeguard (i'm not positive of this in all vtec engines, just pretty certain, but i am positive this is so in the itr)

ryder_23
11-05-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Gspotracer
My 99 lude consumed a lot of oil if I drove it hard, switching from synthetic to regular helped, but didn't completly stop it from consuming oil.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the black on his exhaust may also be caused by too rich of air/fuel ratio, causing black smoke when the car is driven really hard in Vtec. Even Vtec engines with no mods seem to have quite a bit on black on the exhaust pipe.

It seems to be a common occurance for anything with vtec. Its nothing to worry about, just check your oil everytime you fill up with gas. I switchd from regular to mobil 1, and noticed it actually burned less oil :dunno: If your in vtec enough, u can eat threw oil like crazy.

H4LFY2nR
11-05-2004, 07:03 PM
the extra black smoke when in vtec is because when vtec engages the ecu runs off of a preset map which is a little on the rich side to be safe.

racerKJ
11-08-2004, 09:56 AM
it might have something to do with the altitude or cold starts in in the winter in canada bad on rings = oil blow-by? I have a 99 gsr turbo and i am usually less than a half quart low when it comes time for an oil change, my friends say about the same. but i live at sea level in always warm southern California:dunno:

redline
11-08-2004, 04:22 PM
honda spec for normal consumption is 1L/1000km. I dont see how a ecu upgrade will help. it called high revs and oil squiters deal with it. I found oil consumption was less with motul and redine oil.

One thing to try is replace the pvc valve on the evap canister on the back of the block. they stick alot and cause you to use oil.

CanadianR
11-08-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by racerKJ
it might have something to do with the altitude or cold starts in in the winter in canada bad on rings = oil blow-by? I have a 99 gsr turbo and i am usually less than a half quart low when it comes time for an oil change, my friends say about the same. but i live at sea level in always warm southern California:dunno:

No, there are plenty of itr owners in sunbelt regions of the US who have the same oil consumption issues we have here. Plus my car has seen very few winter starts, as i don't drive it in the winter, nor do alot of other itr owners around here.