PDA

View Full Version : Ramen shops?

thich
11-05-2004, 12:32 AM
Do we have any ramen shops in Calgary?

I've been trying to find some recipes on the Net and haven't found much at all; i want to make my own home made ramen and/or eat out at a shop that actually has fresh ramen.

anyone know any Japanese restaurants that serves ramen?

Will@STRD
11-05-2004, 08:09 AM
There is only one good shop in Banff.
But in Calgary, You can go to Toyko Cafe on Edmonton Trail, also WA's on Centre St serve raman too.

wildrice
11-05-2004, 08:56 AM
what is ramen btw??
i've herad of it, just never tried it

legendboy
11-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Will@STRD
There is only one good shop in Banff.
But in Calgary, You can go to Toyko Cafe on Edmonton Trail, also WA's on Centre St serve raman too.

mmm i love wa's. i think i always get the tonkatsu ramen. ( i think thats what its called)

ApexDrift
11-05-2004, 12:39 PM
theres that place on center street called shijiki (sp) right across from banana jaks

toyboy88
11-05-2004, 03:39 PM
you can buy them made fresh daily from "soba ten" i believe :)

thich
11-05-2004, 05:05 PM
where's "soba ten"?

Dope Dealer
11-05-2004, 06:48 PM
Isn't it the same as Ichiban?

ApexDrift
11-05-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer
Isn't it the same as Ichiban?

no

Will@STRD
11-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Soba Ten have very good hand made soba and udon but they only serve reman cold I believe
Try their duck soba if you go there.

DarkDream
11-06-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88
you can buy them made fresh daily from "soba ten" i believe :)

Isn't it called "soba yen"??

Originally posted by thich
where's "soba ten"?

its right across from the singapore same in downtown and near macs

IntegraG2
11-06-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by thich
Do we have any ramen shops in Calgary?

I've been trying to find some recipes on the Net and haven't found much at all; i want to make my own home made ramen and/or eat out at a shop that actually has fresh ramen.

anyone know any Japanese restaurants that serves ramen?

damn have you been watching alot of Naruto lately????
anyways i wanna try ramen too.....

thich
11-07-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by IntegraG2

damn have you been watching alot of Naruto lately????
anyways i wanna try ramen too.....

nah, i've known ramen since the days of Ranma1/2
it's just i've had the cup ramen and the instant ramen b4 but I wanna try some fresh ramen see how that compares.

IntegraG2
11-07-2004, 01:55 AM
^ sweet.....ummm let me know how it tastes and where you went to get some....thanks

toyboy88
11-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by DarkDream

Isn't it called "soba yen"??

its right across from the singapore same in downtown and near macs

no it's called soba TEN :thumbsup:

Maxt
11-07-2004, 05:16 PM
This thread is hilarious.......
Yes Ichiban is ramen, here we all eat it like cup of soup, when really its a chinese noodle soup base that is suppose to be loaded down with chunks of pork or whatever type of ramen you are making...Wa`s has the best ramen here...
Soba Ten ...translation..wheat noodle heaven..Maxt.

ApexDrift
11-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
This thread is hilarious.......
Yes Ichiban is ramen, here we all eat it like cup of soup, when really its a chinese noodle soup base that is suppose to be loaded down with chunks of pork or whatever type of ramen you are making...Wa`s has the best ramen here...
Soba Ten ...translation..wheat noodle heaven..Maxt.

no man ramen and ichiban is different... very similar slightly different

thich
11-08-2004, 01:10 AM
So i guess I will be going to Wa's sometime this week then and try out some ramen :D
thanx all for the recommendations

Maxt
11-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by ApexDrift

no man ramen and ichiban is different... very similar slightly different
NO its not different.....Ichiban noodle, is the ramen noodle... Trust me, I eat ramen twice a week, made by a real Japanese person...Maxt

bigboom
11-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Maxt

NO its not different.....Ichiban noodle, is the ramen noodle... Trust me, I eat ramen twice a week, made by a real Japanese person...Maxt

ichiban noodle is WAY different from a ramen noodle. its similar but very different. i had at so much ramen in japan both times i went and i must say i cant even say ichiban noodles and ramen noodles taste the same...

Shizuku
11-08-2004, 09:44 PM
Now, now kids. Settle down.

Ichiban is an instant noodle, but of course it has a different taste from real Ramen. It's like comparing Macdonald's to cooking burgars at home. They are both burgars but have very different tastes.

Cafe de Tokyo is good and Shijiki is also good.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

thich
11-08-2004, 10:37 PM
wow is there that much of a difference?

dragonone
05-27-2008, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by Will@STRD
Soba Ten have very good hand made soba and udon but they only serve reman cold I believe
Try their duck soba if you go there.

just tried the duck, it was :drool:

rice_balls
05-27-2008, 07:56 AM
^^ Your on a roll of bumping old threads :thumbsup:

After reading the shikiji one i was just about to start a thread on ramen! hahaha
Cafe de tokyo is gone as far as i know and i dont know anywhere other than shikiji to eat ramen. Anyone know of anywhere else I can get ramen??

GQBalla
05-27-2008, 08:38 AM
sorry no idea in Calgary, only one i know is Shikiji

i know a few places in Vancouver but i dunno the dang names only where they are.

ExtraSlow
05-27-2008, 08:54 AM
while we are bumping ond threads, I'll throw in another plug for Soba Ten. Tastes good.

Penis McNickels
05-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
while we are bumping ond threads, I'll throw in another plug for Soba Ten. Tastes good.

How much for the lunch buffet? Is it good?

I can see them from my office window and have been thinking of trying it out...

ExtraSlow
05-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Never been at lunch, but supper prices are reasonable.
and yes, it is good.

cdnsir
05-27-2008, 10:13 AM
It broke my heart when Cafe de Tokyo went down a few years back. That old man there made the best soupbase in Calgary.

From the restaurants left, I think Shijiki serves the best noodles while Wa's comes in second. I haven't went back to Soba Ten for like 4 years cuz it wasn't that great the last time, I'll have to go there again to see if it has gotten any better.

Boost Infested
05-27-2008, 10:21 AM
speaking of ramen.... oh me god. I was in Tokyo last month.

soba
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/boostinfested/HK%20and%20JP%202008%20trip/CIMG0702.jpg

udon
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/boostinfested/HK%20and%20JP%202008%20trip/CIMG0686.jpg

my all time fav pork based soup ramen... almost as good as sex.. :drool:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/boostinfested/HK%20and%20JP%202008%20trip/CIMG0687.jpg

Boost Infested
05-27-2008, 10:58 AM
try this place out for ramen Sushi Hibiki. they are located on edm trail just crossing memorial dr.

gaijin
05-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Boost Infested
speaking of ramen.... oh me god. I was in Tokyo last month.

You probably already know this, but just in case for anyone else that doesn't know:

This is soba:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/boostinfested/HK%20and%20JP%202008%20trip/CIMG0702.jpg

This is udon:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/boostinfested/HK%20and%20JP%202008%20trip/CIMG0686.jpg

This is ramen:
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f60/boostinfested/HK%20and%20JP%202008%20trip/CIMG0687.jpg

The best ramen I've had was in sapporo, miso ramen at a little hole in the wall across from the place I was staying at. Unfortunately, the only picture I have is the miso ramen I had at the airport, which was also good.
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/4867/img3138cz4.jpg
Sapporo is famous for having tons of ramen shops. And excellent miso ramen.

This ramen was also excellent, small izakaya in Ikebukuro.
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/3475/img5124iw8.jpg

Boost Infested
05-27-2008, 12:30 PM
oops, yes I should have label the first 2 types. thanks

GQBalla
05-27-2008, 01:08 PM
oh also tea pot on country hills near the new TnT has ramen.

im pretty sure you have to be on sittin on the side that is more like a HK style cafe to get it though

try the spicy ramen guaranteed to make you sweat.

i love spicy food and can usually handle it pretty well but dang this is the spiciest ive ever had noodles

jav_
05-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Misai down 32nd

rc2002
05-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Shikiji is overpriced now for what you get. It was one of the better Ramen places in town though.

I had Ramen at Wa's last week and it was excellent. But to tell the truth, I had a hard time telling the difference between their Ramen and some brands of instant noodles.

max_boost
05-27-2008, 02:10 PM
Had some ramen last night at Shibuya Izakaya (formerly Ice Bar by Bubblemania) and it was excellent!

dragonone
05-27-2008, 02:37 PM
i saw a picture of the curry udon ramen and it looked delicious

but knowing who makes the food do you think it's worth the prices? i was reading your review that it wasn't cheap

going to a place like soba ten i know i'm getting quality ingredients 'cause at least it's handmade

gaijin
05-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Had some ramen last night at Shibuya Izakaya (formerly Ice Bar by Bubblemania) and it was excellent!
I was wondering about that place, it's fairly new, right?

I'll have to try it out. What's the address again?

edit: or I could use google. Shibuya Izakaya 453 16 Avenue NE

max_boost
05-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Shibuya Izakaya, it's not cheap but pricing is fair imo. I've been back a few times now and all of their dishes have been well presented and taste good. It's nice to have a late night sushi option since I usually go after 11pm.

The ramen was $13 I think.

szw
05-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Whats with the sobaten love? Are u sure its handmade? cuz it tastes like shit

rice_balls
05-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by jav_
Misai down 32nd

Their food quality has gone waaaay down :thumbsdow

Oh how i miss ramen in japan... even the ones in the department stores taste good! I went to a department store ramen place last year and it still tastes the same as it did 10 years ago

dragonone
05-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by szw

u sure it's the food that taste like shit:poosie:

i only like the udon, and for sure it tastes different and better imo than other places

as for the cold noodles i don't really like it, but actual japanese ppl love their hand made cold soba. i don't like the powdery texture

szw
05-28-2008, 12:24 AM
I do like cold soba noodles, just not at Soba Ten. I don't like their sushi or rice dishes, so when I had to go there I would eat the noodle dishes, but I didn't like them too much. I wish I could explain what it was I didn't like, but the last time I was there was like 3 years ago and I don't remember... I preferred noodle soups at Shikiji or Wa's. Also, I'm not really that picky about this stuff IMO... Maybe it's different now. I do remember service was pretty bad/slow and the soup was kind of lukewarm most of the time.

climer
05-28-2008, 10:46 AM
I've tried many restaurants in Calgary but Shikiji is probably the closest you'll get to authentic Japanese ramen. I've taken many of my Japanese friends there and they all agree that it's fairly authentic... although mediocre for Japanese standards.

gaijin
05-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by szw
I have to admit, I don't particularly care for Sobaten. I just don't like the way they prepare their food. Not a place I recommend for Japanese food.

Originally posted by climer
I've tried many restaurants in Calgary but Shikiji is probably the closest you'll get to authentic Japanese ramen. I've taken many of my Japanese friends there and they all agree that it's fairly authentic... although mediocre for Japanese standards.
Have you had them try Hibiki? They have pretty good ramen too.

dirtsniffer
07-09-2012, 10:15 AM
BUMP. where's everyone getting their ramen fix in Calgary now? I've tried Muku and thought it was alright, really salty though. any other suggestions?

TYMSMNY
07-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
BUMP. where's everyone getting their ramen fix in Calgary now? I've tried Muku and thought it was alright, really salty though. any other suggestions?

best place in calgary.... still Shikiji IMO.:drool:

narou
07-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Shikiji +1

foos_guy
07-09-2012, 11:14 AM
:thumbsup: for Shikiji. Chili Goma Ramen is so good! :drool:

CanmoreOrLess
07-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Ice cold ramen dish would do well on a hot day like today. Will give Shikiji a try this week, I have two sushi places within a block of me, they both are very average by Calgary standards and poor by Japanese standards.

lilmira
07-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Yes, Chili Goma is good for me even on a hot day.

On the other hand, a bowl of Somen with some plum wine will be perfect right now. :drool:

artieg30
07-09-2012, 05:00 PM
went to shikjiji a couple weeks back with some friends, didn't have ramen but their bento box was pretty decent.

not a fan of the staff though, by the time i went to pay the bill the total had come to $45, gave her a $6 tip and she rudely asked "is that it?"... i was shocked at that point, thats pretty much a 15% tip, not sure what the other beyond ballers are tipping out there but i thought that was decent.. needless to say i wont be going back there agian.

clem24
07-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Weird you had a shitty experience at Shikiji. Last time I brought my family, it was great! Plus it was a fairly busy Saturday afternoon too. But yes, even though Muku claims to be a ramen place, it's just not very good. Way too salty. Shikiji is way better. Also, Shikiji actually makes a proper cha siu (the fatty slices of pork topping) that rivals some of the better ones I've had. Now I wish someone would make a proper ajitsuke tamago (marinated soft boiled egg). It's stupidly easy to make and ohhh so delicious.

bowlofrice
07-09-2012, 06:40 PM
i drive to banff for ramen... nowhere in calgary compares lol

Unknown303
07-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by foos_guy
:thumbsup: for Shikiji. Chili Goma Ramen is so good! :drool:

That is the best! Love that place.

INITIALD
07-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Shikiji is still best for ramen i think, Muku is only good for the eggs they make.

clem24
07-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by INITIALD
Muku is only good for the eggs they make.

No, they don't have that either...

TYMSMNY
07-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by bowlofrice
i drive to banff for ramen... nowhere in calgary compares lol

Where in Banff do you go? :drool:

Stunt66
07-10-2012, 06:11 PM
I had my first ramen experience only last year in LA at daikokuya and it was one of my favorite meals there. We've tried some places around here but nothing comes close. I haven't tried shikiji so i guess thats the next stop. I always thought it was just a glorified bowl of instant noodles but i quickly realized how wrong i was after trying it there.

2000impreza
07-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by artieg30
went to shikjiji a couple weeks back with some friends, didn't have ramen but their bento box was pretty decent.

not a fan of the staff though, by the time i went to pay the bill the total had come to $45, gave her a $6 tip and she rudely asked "is that it?"... i was shocked at that point, thats pretty much a 15% tip, not sure what the other beyond ballers are tipping out there but i thought that was decent.. needless to say i wont be going back there agian.

My experience with the staff at shikijiji was fairly bad as well. The first time I went, the service was bad beyond belief. They took forever to seat my gf and I. This was followed by taking even longer to take our order. I was not impressed and their tip reflected this. I think the bill was well over $100.

After deciding to give them a second chance, the experience was far worse. I walked in at 5pm on a Sunday and they refused to seat us anywhere else except beside the door on the bench tables. There were plenty of open and non reserved tables in plain sight. I walked out after they refused to seat us at a table that was clearly not reserved.

souljer
07-12-2012, 01:11 PM
so i went to banff yesterday to try the ramen, not sure which place you guys are talking about. but i pretty sure its. Chaya.

Its this small store right next to mcdonalds right on banff ave. it probably seats 10-16 people. got int around 5:00, wasnt busy at all. Greated by this cute ass japanese chick. yummy. Ask her what was popular, didnt explain to well. so i just ordered something spicy. the 3rd down from the menu? order a bottle water as well. came out to about $12-14?

So the order came out, it smelt real good, the soup was spicy and very tasty, the noodles were decent. but there was no meat, wtf? $10 for noodles and soup? fack i shoulda just went for pho sate at basil(or now that its closed) pho dau bo.

in conclusion... Will i be back? yes... just so i can see that cutie. haha

1barA4
07-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by souljer
so i went to banff yesterday to try the ramen, not sure which place you guys are talking about. but i pretty sure its. Chaya.

Its this small store right next to mcdonalds right on banff ave. it probably seats 10-16 people. got int around 5:00, wasnt busy at all. Greated by this cute ass japanese chick. yummy. Ask her what was popular, didnt explain to well. so i just ordered something spicy. the 3rd down from the menu? order a bottle water as well. came out to about $12-14?

So the order came out, it smelt real good, the soup was spicy and very tasty, the noodles were decent. but there was no meat, wtf? $10 for noodles and soup? fack i shoulda just went for pho sate at basil(or now that its closed) pho dau bo.

in conclusion... Will i be back? yes... just so i can see that cutie. haha

Is that the one you have to go up the stairs to get to? If it is, screw em. About two or three years ago, the wife and I went there and tried to order ramen and they said they were out.

The table next to us (seated well after us) ordered ramen and they got it. WTF? So we ordered some sushi instead and it was...pedestrian...and overpriced like everything in Banff. Hence why we haven't been back since. (This place as well, you have to pay extra for meat and even for seaweed or an egg on it)

I'm no ramen snob so Muku and Shibuya are fine by me, but a friend who used to be a cook at Shikiji said it's awesome so someday, I'll make my way there.

A|pine
07-20-2012, 11:01 AM
My go to places for Ramen are:

Wa's - delicious tonkatsu, they make a mean cold soba with quail egg too.

Muku - They have soy based ramen, tonkatsu, it's pretty good but nothing like Hokkaido ramen on Robson (Vancouver).

Shikiji - Also alright, but over priced.

Feruk
09-23-2015, 09:04 AM
Reviving old thread...

Anyone had the ramen at Gohan Sushi Lounge? I usually don't get ramen at sushi places, but the picture looks mighty tempting...

zipdoa
09-23-2015, 09:42 AM
Japanese Noodle House or bust.

GotRice?
09-23-2015, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Feruk
Reviving old thread...

Anyone had the ramen at Gohan Sushi Lounge? I usually don't get ramen at sushi places, but the picture looks mighty tempting...

Surprisingly it was pretty good. I went there a while back when they first opened and told myself I would never go back. But recently went there with a coworker and I had a pretty good lunch. I got the Udon and my coworker got the ramen. Nothing bad to say about either one. Their lunch menu has some pretty interesting fusion food that I definitely want to go back and try.

Feruk
10-02-2015, 09:02 AM
I finally went yesterday. Pretty decent. Ramen is still a little bland compared to what I got in Japan, but so far probably ranks #1 I've had in Calgary. Definitely beats out Goro & Gun. Having said that, I haven't been to Shiki Menya (or whatever the hundred bowls a day place is) yet.

Horrible service though...

flipstah
10-02-2015, 09:22 AM
Ikemen is a waste of time.

Menyatai is still top for me.

Joe-G
10-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Shiki Menya is bomb. Menyatai is also very good.

Ikemen... Probably could have made better ramen at home. :dunno:

suntan
10-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Damn. Got spoiled by ramen in LA. Everything here is okay, but the shit there is sublime.

It's like the only ethnic cuisine that sorta sucks here.

They have awful fucking pho down there though.

JLau
10-02-2015, 09:29 AM
shiki menya seems to have a lot of MSG

Ikemen is good =)

ExtraSlow
10-02-2015, 09:34 AM
I'm no expert, but I was in Ikemen yesterday, and it seemed fine. Possibly a bit over-salty though.

flipstah
10-02-2015, 09:35 AM
I found ikemen to be pretentious and tried too hard. That's just me though. :)

I'd go:

Menytai
Shiki Menya
Shikiji/Japanese Noodle House
Muku

Wa's is no longer open and haven't been to the revamped version (Anzu)

Joe-G
10-02-2015, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by JLau
shiki menya seems to have a lot of MSG

Ikemen is good =)

I dont think it was just me. Maybe it was a bad day in the kitchen? Or maybe we were expecting too much..

To be fair, we did just come back from LA where we all had some of the best tasting ramen we've had in comparison to what we have here in calgary.

All 3 of us agreed that it was very, very underwhelming. Seemed like it was instant noodle shoved into a bowl, and some pork and toppings were added to it.

That was my experience, maybe Ill give it another go. :dunno:

Originally posted by flipstah
I found ikemen to be pretentious and tried too hard. That's just me though. :)

I'd go:

Menytai
Shiki Menya
Shikiji/Japanese Noodle House
Muku

Wa's is no longer open and haven't been to the revamped version (Anzu)

Pretty much sums up my list of go to Ramen joints! :burnout:

flipstah
10-02-2015, 10:01 AM
It's how the menu was put together followed by lack of execution.

Unagi poutine... Truffle mushrooms... Sets up a theme that wasn't reflected in their chicken-based stock, which was the only stock available.

darthVWader
10-02-2015, 10:09 AM
'm no Ramen expert but "The Ramen" on 4th is pretty darn good.

zipdoa
10-02-2015, 10:10 AM
Just to be clear - this is the Japanese Noodle House that I'm talking about:

http://i.imgur.com/UMSThZw.png

ExtraSlow
10-02-2015, 10:10 AM
Yeah, they are catering to the hipster-dufus kensington crowd for sure

l/l/rX
10-02-2015, 10:13 AM
be on the lookout for shokunin that's to open soon in mission. looks promising.

Feruk
10-02-2015, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by JLau
Ikemen is good =)
Maybe if you don't know what Ramen should taste like... By far the worst I've had in Calgary.

in*10*se
10-02-2015, 11:41 AM
^^ fact

Manhattan
10-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Muku is by far the cheapest option but it kinda taste and looks like instant noodles to me. How do they make their ramen? :dunno:

flipstah
10-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Feruk

Maybe if you don't know what Ramen should taste like... By far the worst I've had in Calgary.

Yup. Truth.

Muku is on the last of my list because their parking sucks lol.

Goro+Gun broth is too salty IMO.

AzNxHyDrA
10-02-2015, 01:16 PM

Yup. Truth.

Muku is on the last of my list because their parking sucks lol.

The broth isn't as good at Goro+Gun but at least they have good meat.

Menyatai serves you the leanest shit possible, I can't stand it. Not to mention you get like one piece there...

Xtrema
10-02-2015, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
be on the lookout for shokunin that's to open soon in mission. looks promising.

Why? Is there some sort of pedigree in their process?

All ramen places in Calgary is passable but nobody really stand out for the soup base.

Nothing great so far.

Manhattan
10-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Slightly off topic but why are there so few Japanese people in Calgary. There's plenty of Koreans and Chinese. Much bigger Japanese population in Van and its reflected in the quality of the cuisine.

flipstah
10-02-2015, 01:53 PM
They went to lethbridge.

phreezee
10-02-2015, 03:14 PM

Salty and meh. I'll never be back to Goro&Gun. I don't know how they are still in business.

I miss Wa's. Anzu is a different owner and not as good.

Tried The Ramen and it's also meh. Have to add the egg for $2 to most of their bowls. Their pork "buns"are tasty though.

flipstah
10-02-2015, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by AzNxHyDrA

The broth isn't as good at Goro+Gun but at least they have good meat.

Menyatai serves you the leanest shit possible, I can't stand it. Not to mention you get like one piece there...

That's why extra pork is a good thing haha. I think it's lean because the broth is fatty enough. Too much and your taste buds will hate you. Gag reflex from the taste.