PDA

View Full Version : Need the help of a DSM expert

bundi
11-05-2004, 02:14 AM
hey guys, I'm lookin to get a new car coz my old beater is gonna fall apart.... now I've always been in love with Talons so if I can scrape together enough money I'd like to get a 97 Talon Tsi AWD, I wanted to basically know everyones general consensus on these cars, (from die hard DSM'ers to the haters out there) whats good about them, whats bad about them, and what kinda modability are we talkin..... also, a ballpark figure on good prices would be very helpful

thanx in advance for ur advice ;)

kanjus_paki
11-05-2004, 03:09 AM
check out sponsor hotwheels auto, i know they have a late model TSi or two for sale......lone issue is reliability but ill wait for the DSM'ers to jump in on that one!

statick
11-05-2004, 07:23 AM
i'm also somewhat interested in how good of an investment an awd dsm is.

EK 2.0
11-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by bundi
hey guys, I'm lookin to get a new car coz my old beater is gonna fall apart.... now I've always been in love with Talons so if I can scrape together enough money I'd like to get a 97 Talon Tsi AWD, I wanted to basically know everyones general consensus on these cars, (from die hard DSM'ers to the haters out there) whats good about them, whats bad about them, and what kinda modability are we talkin..... also, a ballpark figure on good prices would be very helpful

thanx in advance for ur advice ;)

Mod-ability??...how does a 12 second 1/4 mile sound for not a whole lot of money??...yeah I thought so...it sounds GREAT!!...just be prepared for when you are putting that kind of power through a weak DSM tranny...that you are prepared to shell out cash for replacements...and/or the SHEP tranny...(virtually unbreakable)...there are LOTS of parts out there...or you can look for one thats already modded...*hint hint*

As fas as looking at ANY car as an investment...hmmmm...not such a great idea...it will go down in value as the parts required to maintain it, and mod it go up in value...

Now onto the great debate about DSM's...I will go over a few terms here...BUT provide links you a few sites you should read up on...as well as if you still have questions...post 'em up or PM me...

The 2G DSM...(95-98 in Canada) has what is known in the DSM circles as a 7 Bolt...which refers to the fact that the crank has 7 holes for the flywheel to boult up to...which internally meant that it had smaller rods and a smaller crank...thereby limiting power to somewhat around 350hp...is about the most I have read about safely and "reliably"...the motors from 89-93 had what was known as the 6 Bolt Flywheel....same idea as the 7 bolt, BUT...had a beffier crank, rods...and is what the hard-core 2G guys usually swap into their DSM's for mad power making possibilities...but now the "bad part" about the 7 bolt...

its rare in occurence...but the 7 bolt motors is susceptible to what is known as CRANK-WALK...what ends up happening is that the crankshaft shifts in the journals...rendering your expensive 4G63 unusable...cheap fix...swap in a 6 bolt...or only mod your 7 bolt moderately...there are camps that say the 7 bolt is un-moddable because as soon as you mod it, then you get crank-walk...but thats untrue...I have had a friend who's motor crankwalked, and it was completely stock...even used a MOPAR Air Filter...so that's up to you to weigh out, and see if a 97 is still the car for you...it's a VERY small percentage of 2G DSM's who get crankwalk...but it does happen...maybe in 2-5% of cars out there...and remember there are LOT'S of the 2G DSM out there...

Maintenence...these cars are realtivley cheap for people like yourself who want to go out and buy them...that's the upside...

the downside is this...they are cheap to pick up, mod, break and throw away, or sell to unsuspecting kids who want a fast car after seeing one at the local drag track or *shudders* street race...

they have thier inherent issues, but also remember we are coming up on almost 10 years these cars have been out now...people neglect these cars...trust me there are lots of those kind of people out there...people also cherish these cars as if they gave birth to them...but for the former...they break down and they detriorate and nobody wants to put the time or money back into fixing them...so they sell them off...CHEAP...

I will tell you up front though...they do require a lot more up keep than sey a Type R, or SiR Civic...so...get lots of info and knowledge...THEN decide what you want...

By the way...

I have a pristine 1G for sale...AWD, and everything...*shameless plug*:D

these are the links...

DSM FAQ's (http://www.vfaq.com/FAQlocator-index.html)

Already Answered Questions you will ask... (http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/)

let me know if you need anything else...
My DSM For Sale (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58823&highlight=Cyclone)

BumpinTalon
11-05-2004, 02:34 PM
Hot Wheels Auto is selling a 1997 TSi AWD with 127,000k for $13,995. I call dibs on it :) treat these cars well and they will hold together. Bag on it and don't treat it well and they'll fall apart - just like any other car.
The biggest problems are crankwalk, which effects less then 5% of 2G DSMs, and the second gear synchro likes to wear out. You can find project 2G TSi AWDs for $3,500, some of them with Evo 16Gs and stuff. There was one on here needing a lot of work for around $4,000.

EK 2.0
11-05-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
The biggest problems are crankwalk, which effects less then 5% of 2G DSMs

uhmmm...did I just not say that??:rolleyes:

BumpinTalon
11-06-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

uhmmm...did I just not say that??:rolleyes:

Second opinion to add weight to your argument when the haters get to this thread.

statick
11-06-2004, 08:37 AM
cyclone when i sed investment i meant it in terms of spendin lots on upkeep and all that. thx 4 ur info cyclone and bumpin talon.

Loose
11-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Is it just me, or would you guys not buy a car where there is a 5% chance it's gonna crater?

EK 2.0
11-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Loose
Is it just me, or would you guys not buy a car where there is a 5% chance it's gonna crater?

well it's 5% of like 400,000 cars...so I mean the chances are it har already "cratered", and been fixed...