PDA

View Full Version : Computer won't power on?

benyl
11-05-2004, 04:57 PM
A friend of mine just replaced his mobo, cpu and added memory into his current case.

When he powers it on, it doesn't even beep and switches itself off.

Does anyone know what that could be?

BerserkerCatSplat
11-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Hmmm... mine did that to me once, and I had incompatible RAM...it could be the power/reset switches are set up wrong.

ricosuave
11-05-2004, 05:29 PM
and that just happened to me too.

make sure the cables for the computer power and reset switches are firmly attached to the mobo

benyl
11-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys, I will get him to check the switches and take out the ram and see if he at least gets the bios to show.

hockeybronx
11-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Hey Playa...

You might be able to get it to go into safe mode.

As far as I know just turn it on, and then once a black screen comes up, hit F8.

If this works, then it is up to you to figure out what in the blue hell went wrong.

benyl
11-07-2004, 04:04 PM
Hey Playa,

might want to read my post again... :rolleyes:

frostyda9
11-07-2004, 04:13 PM
Try to POST with as little hooked up as possible. I'd only hook up the power switch on the mobo front panel header for now...no reset, no LED's, no USB etc. Also, on a new build it's very easy to have a molex connector shorted out on the case somewhere after you tucked them all out of the way. I'd also manually short the BIOS jumper so you are starting with default settings (with the power off, of course).

hampstor
11-07-2004, 07:30 PM
If it's a Pentium 4, make sure the auxilary pentium 4 power connector is plugged in (its 4 pin square) on the power supply).

Also if it's a newer board/cpu/mem, make sure you got a power supply that is upto the task :)

hockeybronx
11-07-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Hey Playa,

might want to read my post again... :rolleyes:

Hey Playa...

My bad I guess... I was speaking from personal experience when my computer wouldn't go into windows and it would just stay in MS-DOS. Man did I think I was screwed!

Anyways good luck Benyl.

frostyda9
11-07-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
make sure you got a power supply that is upto the task :)

That's a good point...I wouldn't go much lower than 350W these days, and I'd make sure it was an Antec or Enermax PSU.

Wattage calculator (http://www.adecy.com/psu/)