PDA

View Full Version : how can I go about going to (mechanics/automotive) school

laytownking
11-07-2004, 11:01 AM
Yo I know absolutely nuthin about fixing up cars I would like to go to school but I don't know the first thing about how to go about it. I have a 92 ford thunderbird, which is border line beater. I would like to use that as a guine pig to see if I am still interested in going to school. please give me some tips on what would be the best thing for me.

t-im
11-07-2004, 02:16 PM
.....?

ninspeed
11-07-2004, 02:20 PM
sait offers a great intro program... starts in january, or you can try motive-action

laytownking
11-07-2004, 02:49 PM
hey thanks for the info what is motive action.

the other dude didn't understand my question or what?

dave101
11-07-2004, 03:59 PM
ya i can;t understand ur question at all. all jibberish

ex1z7
11-08-2004, 04:06 AM
........? As well?

Are you asking about going about doing a mechanics apprenticeship ? You don't know anything about cars, so, you're going to enroll in a program to see if you like it or not ? ..... undo and redo your tires, and change your oil - because if you're going to be a basic mechanic, you'll be doing that alot. See if you like sliding underneith a car for a few hours a day - having a break - and gettin' back under there.

Search google.ca for some automotive institutes - It'll depend alot on what you want to get into.. If you want body repair, search autobody repair..if you want to paint (which is pretty cool...I liked it) search that - sports tuning, etc. Dig through the yellow pages and find a few garages that do different things and ask them if they would mind you asking a few questions when they aren't busy.

Get a better idea about what you're getting into - going into a program that teaches you things you need to know is alot easier if you have an idea on what you're doing first.

my $0.02

ex1z7
11-08-2004, 04:12 AM
To post again, after reading that question - Get a friend who knows what they're doing to come around to your place and replace all your filters (fuel, oil, air etc.) - Like I previously said - remove your wheels and put them back on again - see if you like getting dirty or not. Remove your bumper (search around for screws and bolts...have a ratchet set around first) Thats always fun. Just take random small things apart and put them back on - to see if you really like what you're doing..

In the past week or two I had to replace my rack and pinion in my car, first roll around took 4 hours with 4 guys undoing things and changing parts etc. then today I spent 3 hours under my car getting a new bolt in the thing. Nothing ever goes as planned, nothing is going to be straight forward and easy unless you've done it countless times. I don't suggest removing your rack and pinion - it's a bitch - but start off small and remove things like air filter etc. Change your oil and all that - just get familiar with your car and how things work. and read alot. Once you see how things go together you get a better idea about what you're getting into.

ZorroAMG
11-08-2004, 10:38 AM
LOL @ people that don't take 3 seconds to put the title and post together to understand someone's thread. Ever heard of common sense?

As mentioned above, try the SAIT program...

laytownking
11-08-2004, 01:40 PM
ZorroAMG are you talking about dave 101? I thought my question was pretty straight forward. lol guess not. anyways thanks everybody your info is very helpful.

ZorroAMG
11-08-2004, 02:36 PM
^Yes.

laytownking
11-09-2004, 04:28 PM
hey guys I think that I would like to do like car upholstery+ installing car stereos stuff like that more artistic stuff. Id even be interested in painting. I think that Im going to purchase a book on automotive upholstery. anybody have any advise that you can give me.

@lchy
11-10-2004, 04:07 PM
If your like me, and your car is not aesthetically perfect, try and get your hand on 'bodyshop basics' from painucation.com or something similar. Read ALOT about what your intrested in, and do as you mentioned, use your car as a guinea pig. I am electronicaly challenged, but I found out last year, that body work is really satisfying stuff. Also, if you learn about fibergalss, its bposible to make custom boxes and stuff with some mdf, pantyhose, and fiberglass. It probly won't turn out perfect at first, but whatever your into, RESEARCH!! if you play around with all of it and find out what your interested in give SAIT a try. You'll be able to learn all kinds of stuff about cars, and if you register early, its easy enough to get in. good luck!:thumbsup:

Scat
11-10-2004, 05:17 PM
Stop telling this guy to try Sait
He doesn't even live in North America

ZorroAMG
11-10-2004, 05:28 PM
Smarty pants, when he originally posted, his location was not given.

ex1z7
11-10-2004, 06:11 PM
I always thought I'd love to be a mechanic more then anything - because I love cars.. So when I had to do work experience ( 1 week, 9-5, not paid, do as your told as if you're an employee ) I jumped at the chance to do it at any place that had anything to do with cars. The first place I got accepted into was a smash repair shop where I got to cut up a Mitsubishi Magna hood to get hoses out, remove spoilers, bumpers, mud guards....sand down panels and help with prep-work (tape the window off, etc. etc.) and found it awesome. Since then I've wanted to be a painter because watching the guys in the cold - sitting on the floor sanding filler off cars and beating the panels out, getting frustrated with how annoying it is, and watching the painter they had rape things off and prepare paint and such ....... It just seemed really cool to me...

If you have any connections with garages or painter shops, or anything, I suggest asking to do a few days of work there to see what its like - and then take up an apprenticeship in it... If you'd like to go that route.

It's relaxing, sanding down paint and such - sort've.. More relaxing then replacing the front end of a Peugot 405 :(

Check out garages that your friends work at, family owns, or if you've ever been to one that's got nice - chill people - and see if they would mind if you hung around for a few days. Ask questions and learn as much as you can !

pinoyhero
11-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Sait it is, start with a shorter class to see if you like it and then if you do go for certification.

shakwalla
02-15-2005, 04:20 AM
if u wanna get into car stereos...i just kept installing my friends... now from experience im half decent at it and can do a clean job...now u just gotta find some friends who will willingly let u try it out..... good luck with that:thumbsup: